• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

On 7/21/2019 at 10:00 AM, mlooney said:

I just dropped a cup of tea into my primary keyboard. Then I couldn't find my back up keyboard for several minutes. It's going to be one of those weeks I see.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, mlooney said:

Primary keyboard dried out and seems to be working. I'm keeping the secondary keyboard out until I know this one is OK.

The right hand letters keys (uioplkjh;.,mn) are sorta sticking.  They don't multi send and do send a key stroke when pushed, but their current "release" time is long enough to slow down my typing to a speed I'd rather not deal with.   So I'm back on my secondary keyboard and will be buying a new keyboard when I have money again.

Bleh.   Might go whole hog and get a real buckling spring keyboard if i can find one that doesn't cost a zillion dollars.

According to several ferret owners' clubs and web sites, you can put your keyboard in the top rack of the dishwasher and as long as you let it dry fully before using it, it should work fine.  They do recommend taking a good clear picture of the keyboard before doing this, because odds are good of at least a few keys coming loose and you'll need to be able to tell which goes where.

Personally, I'm not so sure about the dishwasher, but I would take their advice as a sign that sticking it in a tub of slightly soapy water and gently agitating it, then rinsing in non-soapy water, would have a good shot at working. ;-)

I was riding my bike from the game store to the Dollar General.  (Note, why I was doing this is an annoying thing in it's own right).  About half way there the fender came off my rear wheel, locking it up causing me to crash.  Net result.  Major road rash on my right arm, minor road rash on my left hand, a bruise on my right knee with some road rash, and a twisted left knee that makes walking hard.  I wasn't sure if I hit my head or not, but I went to the hospital to be checked out.  Net result of hospital visit, tough it out on the road rash and knees and no brain bleeds the the x rays could see.  However they did find that the right hand side of my brain is bigger than the left hand side and I should get a neurologist  to check that out.

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

However they did find that the right hand side of my brain is bigger than the left hand side and I should get a neurologist  to check that out.

Brain swelling? Hell yeah, get that checked out!

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Brain swelling? Hell yeah, get that checked out!

The doctor didn't think it was swelling, just one side is bigger.  Just for what it's worth, this may explain why my left side migraines, which are rare, don't hurt as much as a right side migraine.

On 7/29/2019 at 2:09 PM, CritterKeeper said:

According to several ferret owners' clubs and web sites, you can put your keyboard in the top rack of the dishwasher and as long as you let it dry fully before using it, it should work fine.

Dare I ask what the connection is between owning a ferret and needing to wash out your keyboard?

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Yeah, one time I opened up a computer case and threatened to reupholster the cat.

My wife and I have a standard joke we use after she has brushed the cat. That she has so much hair left over from it that she can build a new cat with it.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

I tend to tell people that I can knit a new cat from all of the hair.

Some people use the brushings from their cats to create yarn for knitting pouches and other small items. You can probably find some on Etsy.

On 9/7/2019 at 10:23 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

Some people use the brushings from their cats to create yarn for knitting pouches and other small items

My then-son-in-law had three cats, one of them an orange Maine Coon. Once I brushed that cat and made about 18" of thick yarn from the single brushing.

Maine Coons are one of the larger breeds of domestic cat, and also tend to be fluffy-furred.

Yesterday was September 11, 2019

There are Americans now old enough to vote who were born after the 2001 terrorist attacks

And yet many Americans still treat the event as if it was recent, not a lifetime ago

I remember being in a restaurant a few years ago on another September 11 where a family was celebrating a birthday, and getting nasty stares from other customers in the building

I asked myself when September 11, 2001  would become just another date in history instead of an annual exercise in mourning and anger

I realized the answer later that year on December 07

30, 40, even 50 years after WWII, Pear Harbor day was treated as an annual exercise in mourning and anger.  And WWII had a clear and successful conclusion from the American perspective.  But there were people for whom the calendar demanded that the old scabs be ripped open every year.  And those people kept up the ritual every year on December 07, until not too long after 2001.

I am afraid that for some Americans, and for the politicians and media outlets who pander to these Americans, September 11 will be renewed as a fresh wound every year until the next great American Tragedy

I have just called the police.

We have a nuisance parked across the street from us, in the form of a pickup truck with a car alarm that goes off at all hours of the day and night. It's been doing this for almost a month, at random intervals. Some days are worse than others, but today it went off one time too many. I had to report it.

I picked up my pad and pencil, went outside, and wrote down the offending vehicle's license plate number, make & model, and the street address it was parked in front of. I then called the Garland Police Department's non-emergency number and relayed this information to them. They said they would send the first available unit out to investigate.

Dear Lord, I hope this brings things to an end. I can't take much more of this.

Follow-up on the eternally honking horn. A police officer came by and basically said there wasn't much he could do beyond knocking on the other house's door and asking them to turn down the alarm. He knocked, but no one answered, despite suspicions that someone was home. He then suggested that I call Code Enforcement and left the scene.

I called Code Enforcement and was told that—believe it or not—the Health department handles car alarms that keep going off. They transferred me to a human at the Health department, who promptly took my information and said an investigation would be launched into the matter. A couple of days ago, I got a call from them telling me that they were sending a letter to the owner of the offending truck, notifying them that they were in violation of City of Garland statutes.

The problem has practically solved itself since then. I think I've heard one instance of the horn going off for about a second. That's all. It seems like we're done with that problem. But ...

Another set of very obnoxious neighbors who own at least four lifted big wheel pickup trucks which regularly block traffic on our street started building what looked like a massive, ugly porch in front of their house (and another to match in their backyard). They've been doing various work projects on this house for over two years now, very slowly. As we drove by on the way to a doctor's appointment, we looked and saw no building permit posted.

That wasn't gonna stand.

As soon as we got home, Mrs. Prof called Code Compliance and checked for permits on that address. There weren't any. She registered an official complaint. The Brothers Obnoxious may have to tear down their Grand Porches if they can't placate Code Compliance and the Garland Building Inspectors.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, mlooney said:

I have a head ache, both knees hurt and there is a storm front rolling in.  All of these, I suspect are related.

And it's happening again.  This time with flash flood warnings.  Joy and happiness be mine.

On 9/12/2019 at 0:38 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I asked myself when September 11, 2001  would become just another date in history instead of an annual exercise in mourning and anger

I realized the answer later that year on December 07

30, 40, even 50 years after WWII, Pear Harbor day was treated as an annual exercise in mourning and anger.  And WWII had a clear and successful conclusion from the American perspective.  But there were people for whom the calendar demanded that the old scabs be ripped open every year.  And those people kept up the ritual every year on December 07, until not too long after 2001.

Please forgive the late reply, I'm still catching up.

I wonder how much of the remembrance of Pearl Harbor Day is simply due to FDR's eloquence? "Yesterday, December 7th 1941, a day which will live in infamy...." Certainly, remembering that line once helped me on a history test at a time rather farther from 1941 than we are from 2001. 

That said, I personally don't think I'll ever forget the morning when bemusement became incredulity became horror.