• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

The animal hospital is closed on Sundays, but a client showed up knocking on the door tonight with his dog in the car wanting me to just take a look at her.  That's not what's annoying, although it would be if I weren't already too far behind on Game of Thrones to be trying to get to a viewing party.  It's a good client, and his daughter works for us, so I didn't mind checking their pooch.

No, what's annoying is that his cell phone went off, playing just the first eight notes of Bach's Minuet in G.  Anyone who has ever taken piano lessons will know this piece.  And I had it stuck in my head for at least an hour, with periodic relapses since.

Aren't cell phones bad enough without people putting earworms on them???

My car needs a new battery.

I won't need to pay the full retail price because it is still under partial warranty.

What I find annoying is the fact that I have not owned an automobile battery that has outlived its warranty since I moved to Florida.  There is something about the environment that destroys batteries here.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What I find annoying is the fact that I have not owned an automobile battery that has outlived its warranty since I moved to Florida.  There is something about the environment that destroys batteries here.

Clearly, you need batteries that are manatee-proof.

The new forum's software in edit mode.  Plus using way to freaking much CSS.  BBCode was invented so you don't need to expose your HTML like that.

Because it is, at it's heart an OS for touch screen devices Android's really doesn't handle mice well.  What I am used to right click doing is left click and hold.  Setting the text insertion point via the mouse is freaking weird and I still haven't figured out how to reliably tell it I want to select text for cut and paste.

#geekproblems

13 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

The increasing frequency with which i'm seeing people write "Her/him and (name)" in place of "She/he and (name)". when did that stop being improper grammar?

It's not improper grammar if it's referring to an object rather than a subject. The real question is why they're not just saying "them" like a normal person.

In the places i see it, contextually the two characters in question are both the subject, the verb is what they're doing, and the object is a specific location object or task, based on how the sentences are structured (Ie: "Her and Adrien had already finished their project", for example.) and you cant just use "they" or "them" in the first sentence of a paragraph. The reader needs to know which character is currently in focus or things get jumbled.

And it just drives me up the wall because yeah, it's still readable but it feels so damn clunky and i'm certain that that's not how it should be written.

5 hours ago, Troacctid said:

The real question is why they're not just saying "them" like a normal person.

Back in 1975, when I was in third grade, the teacher drilled it into our heads that you NEVER use "they" or "them" when speaking about an individual.  The only pronouns you should use to refer to a singular person are "he", "she", "him", or "her".

I know that a lot of things have changed in the last 40 years, but I am confident that I am not the only English speaker who had that kind of grammar lesson drilled into my skull.  Thus there are a lot of people who would rather use extremely cumbersome phrases rather than a simpler word or phrase they know is "wrong".

Grammar is an odd science.  The heart of the discipline is asking the question "how do people use this language?"  But for many people, the lesson of grammar is twelve years of teachers and books that tell you "this is how you must use this language!"

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grammar is an odd science.  The heart of the discipline is asking the question "how do people use this language?"  But for many people, the lesson of grammar is twelve years of teachers and books that tell you "this is how you must use this language!"

A typical mistake. A grammar is ultimately a model of how a language works. And then some idiots enter and insist that the model takes precedence over the reality.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Back in 1975, when I was in third grade, the teacher drilled it into our heads that you NEVER use "they" or "them" when speaking about an individual.  The only pronouns you should use to refer to a singular person are "he", "she", "him", or "her".

"She and Adrian" would presumably be two people.

I really like Undertale music. I would enjoy learning how to play it on a piano.

67349079.jpg

5 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Just browsers? that's oddly specific, I would have thought all error report softwares belonged in here.

Browser's error reporting modules kick in, among others reasons if a page wedges do to failure to fully load.  If this is caused by a network error it's going to spawn another thread to report that fail, which will keep spawning threads until either the network clears or you force quit the browser.  There maybe a time out factor as well, but it there is it's set to hundreds of seconds.  Running `top` shows ErrorReporter with 200+ active threads and eating 75%+ of the CPU.  `uptime` shows system load of 4+, which on a single user non server machine running limited user space applications is just absurdly high.

At least that is what Mozilla based browsers do on OS X.  I also strongly suspect that there is either a bug in Kickstarers JavaScript or the current drop of both Firefox and SeaMonkey have a problem with JScript or both.  Same with Facebook.  Those two sites are the worst at crashing SeaMonkey.  Add in Cox cable's flakey DNS server and you have an issue.  I've got my machines set to use 8.8.8.8 but the router keeps being reset to defaulting to the Cox trio.

16 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Don't your machines use the 8.8.8.8 address if you manually tell each one to use it? They should just ignore what your provider tells your router to assign via DHCP, right?

Yes, in theory, but, if for some reason Google doesn't reply fast enough I think the router uses Cox.

DNS gets weird when you are NATed behind a firewall.

BOGO stands for Buy One, Get One.  If you want to say Buy One, Get A Discount On One, then say BOGADOO, not BOGO.  No, I don't care if you've got fine print below saying "fifty percent off", that would be BOGOFPO.  You can't have a great big BOGO on your sign unless it's actually Buy One, Get One, period!

They should really specify exactly what comes after the BOGO (Buy one get one free? buy one get one at a discount?)

If they don't specify, it could simply mean if you buy one, you will get one.  In other words, a normal purchase.

i suspect the issue is less the phrasing of the acronym, and more the fact that it's been used since atleast the 90s to refer primarily to 2-for-1 deals, which is clearly not the case in the above scenario.

predominantly consistent use leads to certain expectations, that are not being met.

There was a store in my hometown that frequently had "Buy one, get one free" sales.  (Back before the BOGO Acronym became overused.)

The problem was that the for the duration of the sale, the price of one item in the sale was usually raised to at least 150% of the normal retail price.

I do not like retail games

d20 Modern is based on the D&D 3.5 rule set.  This means that melee combat is well over what should be it's level in importance.  A good 75 to 80 percent of the advanced classes for star fairing races are melee combat monsters.  Most of them, despite being, supposedly the best warriors of their race can be taken down by 1st level normal human with 30 ought six hunting rifle from 1930.  Bolt action even.  Given the katana (of course aliens from another Galaxy use katanas) swinging alien's speed, grandpa and his trusted deer rifle is going to get 5 to 8 shots before the slice and dice dudes get close. This is normally fatal to two to four of them.

Combat post 1800 or so, maybe earlier is decided by guns.  Hell if you go back to the Hundred Years War and the English Civil War, if you substitute longbow for guns it goes back to the late middle ages.  Why this bothers me isn't one of those things that I have no idea why, I know why, it's because I don't deal well with game designers that no sense of history and think that Games Workshop is a legitimate source for research.

This rant brought to you by Chris Fields and Bryan Steele.

Finally got my keyboard working (a Yamaha-brand 61-key going from C2 to C7). Turns out it just needed a new power cord; it won't work with batteries anymore. So we got the cord, I play it, it works fine. The A3 key sometimes craps out for a bit, but it still works in general.

I plug it in today to play Temmie Village just for kicks. And...

C. F[tweet]ing. Five.

Okay, so I just checked right now turning it off and on and it works again, but while A3 would work again if you bug it enough, C5 just up and died and wouldn't work until I reset the thing. This is in the "annoying" thread and not the "mad" thread since the key still works and the thing's still playable, but now there's precedent for one of the vital keys crapping out, which means it could happen again.