• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I've had my cleaning lady by today, and just had the exterminator by.  That's about my level of letting people into the house for a day.  Explorer the Cat was Not Happy when the bug guy moved her current hiding place to spray. She has gotten over it and is now on the desk making it hard for me to type.

Good little kitty. Please give her scritches from me.

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Good little kitty. Please give her scritches from me.

Well, she's currently in bolt around the house at maximum speed mode, so scritches are right out at the current time, but when she slows down I'll do that.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

I am out of spoons.  I'm letting the stuff that the bug guy sprayed down dry over night and I'll put the kitchen back together in the morning.

The kitchen has been returned to its normal state of operations.

31 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, she's currently in bolt around the house at maximum speed mode, so scritches are right out at the current time, but when she slows down I'll do that.

Explorer the Cat has stopped running around the house and is now in desk top mode.  Scritches have been delivered.

I use FireFox on a Linux box as my primary day time web browser. I can, and at least once a day have 30 or so tabs open and every thing just works. I have one tab open reading FaceBook and after 20 or 30 minutes my CPU fan takes off like it was trying to fly. I close FireFox and it spins down.

I say daytime because at night I use my Chromebook in bed, which uses Chrome as it's browser. If I don't do a full power cycle on it once a day or so, I get out of memory "snap" pages while reading FaceBook, but only FaceBook. I can read TVTropes all night long and not have a problem.

On both browsers I have uBlock Origin loaded so I don't get a lot of the weirdness that FaceBook generates.

My conclusion is that there is something broken in the FaceBook JavaScript.

So, last night I broke a tooth eating peanuts of all things.... it's not a painful break and it happened to a molar that had a filling done last year, but it does have some edges that my tongue scrapes against which is kinda annoying.

The most annoying part though, is because of the covid-19 deal, the dentist is closed for the foreseeable future and will only accept emergency appointments, which I don't think this counts, it's not like the tooth split in half or anything, I can live with it for the time being, but yeah, this sucks.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

So, last night I broke a tooth eating peanuts of all things.... it's not a painful break and it happened to a molar that had a filling done last year, but it does have some edges that my tongue scrapes against which is kinda annoying.

The most annoying part though, is because of the covid-19 deal, the dentist is closed for the foreseeable future and will only accept emergency appointments, which I don't think this counts, it's not like the tooth split in half or anything, I can live with it for the time being, but yeah, this sucks.

I think they'd count this as an emergency. You'll likely need a crown, they aren't cheap. Two visits, one to order the crown and get a temp plastic tooth, and one to install the crown. Insurance will cover much of it, if you're under your max. This early in the year, you should be.

I normally have a D&D game Sunday afternoon.  Got like 6 or 7 players, self included.  It's held at The Ogre's Lair, one of the game stores in town.  They just were told by the health department that they were non-essential business that could stay open, but were only allowed to have one customer at a time.  The owner decided to just close for the duration.  We missed last week game because I had some symptoms that might be C-19ish and I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.  With the game being called off for how ever long, I'm now officially in full self isolation.  I don't leave the house much any way, with the Sunday game being my only get out of the house for more than a few minutes thing I did.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I normally have a D&D game Sunday afternoon.  Got like 6 or 7 players, self included.  It's held at The Ogre's Lair, one of the game stores in town.  They just were told by the health department that they were non-essential business that could stay open, but were only allowed to have one customer at a time.  The owner decided to just close for the duration.  We missed last week game because I had some symptoms that might be C-19ish and I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.  With the game being called off for how ever long, I'm now officially in full self isolation.  I don't leave the house much any way, with the Sunday game being my only get out of the house for more than a few minutes thing I did.

Sorry, man. It is tough times. I'm even avoiding the grand-disease vectors.

I'm going out of my house next Tuesday, as I have an appointment to see my shrink that day. I've allocated about an hour to do some grocery shopping a the Walmart Market next door to the clinic. I don't know what is stock but all I really /need/ is milk, but that will changed based on what is in stock I suspect.

18 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Don't be surprised if your shrink wants to do the appointment by phone.

She give out "samples" of my medication most visits.  Can't do that over the phone.  Of the ones she doesn't give out, one is a Schedule II drug (Adderall) which has a requirement of a paper prescription for only a 30 day supply.  Between those two issues, I'm going to be going in person. 

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Between those two issues, I'm going to be going in person. 

Well looks like I'll be talking to her over the phone, the going in later when they will hand deliver to my ride my medications and scripts.  This could be a bit of a problem as I don't have a car, but I could ride the bike there assuming it's good weather, which the current forecast is for rain that day. This is going to suck all the suck.

36 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well looks like I'll be talking to her over the phone, the going in later when they will hand deliver to my ride my medications and scripts.  This could be a bit of a problem as I don't have a car, but I could ride the bike there assuming it's good weather, which the current forecast is for rain that day. This is going to suck all the suck.

Assuming no change to my medications, I have roughly 3 weeks on hand after Tuesday, more of some, which means I can wait for good weather before I go get them and the script.

53 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Assuming no change to my medications, I have roughly 3 weeks on hand after Tuesday, more of some, which means I can wait for good weather before I go get them and the script.

And I think I have a ride lined up for later in the week.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well looks like I'll be talking to her over the phone, the going in later when they will hand deliver to my ride my medications and scripts. 

Yep, been there done that.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:31 PM, mlooney said:

My Tuesday night board game group did an online night this past Tuesday, it went well. We had voice through Google Groups, and our venue was Yucata, which has some connection to BoardGameGeeks. There are also some board games on Steam.

Steam had a D&D pen and paper framework, I don't remember what it's called. I've seen it on sale frequently, cheap, but it does have the pay for DLC thing going on, which has its upside (more content) and downside (cost, but if you buy RPG books, it's still cheap).

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

My Tuesday night board game group did an online night this past Tuesday, it went well. We had voice through Google Groups, and our venue was Yucata, which has some connection to BoardGameGeeks. There are also some board games on Steam.

Steam had a D&D pen and paper framework, I don't remember what it's called. I've seen it on sale frequently, cheap, but it does have the pay for DLC thing going on, which has its upside (more content) and downside (cost, but if you buy RPG books, it's still cheap).

I've seen people use Tabletop Simulator for D&D (or other) games. You're probably thinking of Fantasy Grounds though, and hoooooooooooly crap that's a lot of money for all the DLC...

I've been in a few online D&D games using Teamviewer and Teamspeak. Neither program is specifically designed for D&D. As I recall we had players on three continents. But that was a few years ago.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I've seen people use Tabletop Simulator for D&D (or other) games. You're probably thinking of Fantasy Grounds though, and hoooooooooooly crap that's a lot of money for all the DLC...

Yes, that was it. The DLCs aren't cheap, but just like books, you don't need them all, and the books aren't cheap either, you're already investing quite a bit. Disclaimer, I haven't purchased it.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Added a bit.

My brother and I use Roll 20.   Only  the GM need to have the pay version to get the cool dynamic lighting stuff.  It's also game independent, so you can play any role playing game with it.

My daughter once played online in a game called "Atlanta after dark". An interesting coincidence is that NONE of the participants in the particular group she was in had ever even been to Atlanta, let alone lived there, so the cumulative real-world knowledge of the city was approximately zero. But the software they were using (which I don't know) was advertising-financed, and it would monitor what was going on in a communication session and try to put up related ads, so they got lots of ads for businesses in Atlanta - which information they very happily used in the game.

48 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

My daughter once played online in a game called "Atlanta after dark". An interesting coincidence is that NONE of the participants in the particular group she was in had ever even been to Atlanta, let alone lived there, so the cumulative real-world knowledge of the city was approximately zero. But the software they were using (which I don't know) was advertising-financed, and it would monitor what was going on in a communication session and try to put up related ads, so they got lots of ads for businesses in Atlanta - which information they very happily used in the game.

I've driven through it several times, stopped to look around a couple of times, and visited for business a couple of times. Oh, and of course, connected through the airport back in the day when Delta was a decent airline. I would not hate living there. But I would want to be close to commuter rail service, the traffic got incredibly horrible at times, and it took over an hour to go through once, not a record, but bad enough.

I had an invite from a business buddy to attend Dragon Con, and never did. Kind of sorry I didn't go when it was smaller.

The lawn people are doing my lawn right now.  Not that it really needed it yet but they are out there with driving mowers and weed wackers.  EtC freaked out when they started up and ran away into the kitchen.  I have a sinus headache going on right now and the dust they are kicking up isn't making it any better, plus the sound isn't helping.

I'm surprised that they are doing this as we are under a stay at home state wide lock down and they aren't wearing masks or any thing.