• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

I've got all my applications I normally use on a box loaded and have got my Perl modules loaded. Just waiting on Dropbox to finish downloading and I'll be back in business. One thing I've noticed is that the new machine is much faster, which given it's several years newer than Old Godzilla doesn't surprise me. Could also be the fact that it has a SSD instead of spinning rust and 16 of Ram.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Hey, think of it as Free Cooling for your Godzilla box's CPU.

It's also free cooling for me, which I'm less than thrilled about.  All that being said it's fixed an is heating up the house now.  It's a gas heater, which I didn't know, so I'm turning up the heat to 72 because I don't pay the gas bill.

42 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Gas is cheaper than electricity in most places that have piped gas anyway.

Yes, but I don't care.  I'm not paying it.  Granted it's the only gas thing in the house.  Enough so that I assumed the heater was electric.

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Yes, but I don't care.  I'm not paying it.  Granted it's the only gas thing in the house.  Enough so that I assumed the heater was electric.

Just make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house. They're cheap, and they can save your life.

42 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Ah, my house heat, water heater, rangetop, and oven are gas. The range/oven is by preference, because I prefer the instant control when I cook instead of waiting for it to heat up or cool down.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Ah, my house heat, water heater, rangetop, and oven are gas. The range/oven is by preference, because I prefer the instant control when I cook instead of waiting for it to heat up or cool down.

That was what I had at the last place.  Not so much now.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Just make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house. They're cheap, and they can save your life.

Need to get one, as I don't think the detector in the living room is any thing more than a fire alarm.

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

it's the only gas thing in the house.  Enough so that I assumed the heater was electric

My uncle built his house back in the 60s

Almost everything in the place was propane powered, including the refrigerator

I have no idea how many pilot lights were constantly burning in there for well over a decade

31 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Did he have propane powered illumination as well? Gas mantle lights are fascinating.

I lived in an apartment building that had cap off gas ports high on the walls of the rooms. I assumed it was for gas lights back when it was built.   Building was one of the first brick building  in Tulsa.  Been torn down to make a parking lot for the community college.

November 22, 1995 -Twenty Six years ago today - Disney releases Toy Story

Any child who saw that film in the initial release is now old enough to rent cars and get elected to the US House of Representatives

The things that can make you feel old keep getting younger

Computer/web site vent:

Firefox isn't letting me into the US Army's Opfor web site due to some issues with it's SSL cert. If a US Military site isn't secure, what is? This is less than optimal. Actually it looks like the site does have some issues right now, because it's action weird with Chrome as well. Damn Hope they get it fixed soonish

I woke up around 11:30 yesterday night. It's now 4:45 and I can't get back to sleep. Glad it's Saturday and that I don't have anything planned for today. I'm going to finish this cup of decaf tea and go back to bed to see if I can, in fact, fall asleep again.

There is a large stack of what I think are roofing supplies in the back yard/yard between me a the next door neighbors. Why do I suspect this Monday and Tuesday next week are going to be noisy?

Another trivial rant:
The android app for Patreon hides the access control "buttons" for android.  So I can't hit the 'O' button to select another app or the square button to close Patreon, I have to guess  as to where they are.  The square if fairly easy as it's the center of the bottom of the screen, but the 'O' is trickier.  As is the case with most of my trivial rants, this bothers me more than it should.