• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Anybody else noticed a trend for military YouTube videos being narrated via text to voice?  It's really irritating, enough so that I've unsubscribed from several feeds because they grate on my nerves. I'm assuming, probably with out cause, that some of you watch military videos.

20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm assuming, probably with out cause, that some of you watch military videos.

I mostly watch science & futurism videos, and lets plays of Zelda games.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Anybody else noticed a trend for military YouTube videos being narrated via text to voice?  It's really irritating, enough so that I've unsubscribed from several feeds because they grate on my nerves. I'm assuming, probably with out cause, that some of you watch military videos.

I tend to watch a fair amount. Mostly WW II and newer, but not exclusive, and hardware critiques, mostly airplanes, but have been watching tank assessments lately. Some sea craft videos.

If I did not have varied interests, YouTube would probably be less annoying. I liked when they used to offer more videos similar to what I was watching. They are making great strides in Artificial Stupidity, as if there were a lack of the genuine article.

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I tend to watch a fair amount. Mostly WW II and newer, but not exclusive, and hardware critiques, mostly airplanes, but have been watching tank assessments lately. Some sea craft videos.

Are you aware of "The Tank Museum"  channel?  Lots of stuff about WWII and modern tanks.  Their "Tank Chats" series is particularly  good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTankMuseum

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Are you aware of "The Tank Museum"  channel?  Lots of stuff about WWII and modern tanks.  Their "Tank Chats" series is particularly  good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTankMuseum

Yes. Their videos can tend to run long, which for me means weekend viewing; my weeknight time is more limited.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yes. Their videos can tend to run long, which for me means weekend viewing; my weeknight time is more limited.

Their tank chat's seem to be about 8-10 minutes long.  I binged watched them when I discovered the channel. 

My D&D group just imploded when the guy who has the keys to the place got into an argument with the DM.    Not sure what we are going to do next week.

46 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

M'lady received one yesterday that we think was in Thai. Or something in that general area.

Of course about 5 years ago I was getting about 1/3 of my spam in Italian.  I was posting them here at one point.  Don't recall if it was before or after the great message purge.  I think before.

The other day I checked an email account I don't check very often (well, technically I don't check any of them very often, but there's one I at least try to keep up on) and discovered my inbox had been flooded with political activism emails. I don't have the time or energy for such things these days, and I definitely don't need to be getting so many emails I can't find the important ones, but I was reluctant to report them as spam since they did actually more-or-less align with my political views. I took the risk of using the "unsubscribe" links on a couple of them, and for the moment that seems to have solved the problem; hopefully I don't come to regret it.

15 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I took the risk of using the "unsubscribe" links on a couple of them, and for the moment that seems to have solved the problem; hopefully I don't come to regret it.

Most legit email sources take unsubscribes fairly seriously.  They sorta have to given that it's a federal offense not to.

Yeah, the trick is figuring out which email sources are legit. These looked it, which is part of why I took the chance, but I've heard there are some pretty convincing fakes out there.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Yeah, the trick is figuring out which email sources are legit. These looked it, which is part of why I took the chance, but I've heard there are some pretty convincing fakes out there.

Normally when you click on an "unsubscribe" link in an email it takes you to a website.  You should get the URL of the website that the link takes you to if you "hover" your mouse over the link.   Make sure that is rational.   Also check the URL of the site you end up on to make sure it seem rational. 

I'm trying to get CD Baby to set up Ereis Overture for play through their distribution network of streaming services and other outlets (e.g., Amazon, etc.). I thought I'd entered all the details properly when I paid for the Pro Distribution package, but not so. I got a kickback letter from their inspection team yesterday, saying that the performing artist name (Lee Jackson) and songwriter/composer name (Dennis Lee Jackson, my ASCAP account name) for a Classical release must match exactly. They wanted me to change the artist name to my full name, rework the single artwork to include my full name, and so on.

I did not want to release Ereis Overture under the name Dennis Lee Jackson. Who TF has heard of him? So, I did an end run around CD Baby and called ASCAP to find out if I could use Lee Jackson as a composer name. Turns out I can, with a little bit of account number prestidigitation. I therefore went back to CD Baby, registered the name Lee Jackson as a new songwriter/composer on my account (it cost me $10 to do so), and changed the composer name on the song to Lee Jackson. Blyeah, CD Baby. Big middle finger up at you. Kick this back from your inspection queue.

Watch 'em do it anyway, just out of spite.

14 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Kick this back from your inspection queue.

Some times even non-government bureaucracies can be a pain in the butt.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm trying to get CD Baby to set up Ereis Overture for play through their distribution network of streaming services and other outlets (e.g., Amazon, etc.). I thought I'd entered all the details properly when I paid for the Pro Distribution package, but not so. I got a kickback letter from their inspection team yesterday, saying that the performing artist name (Lee Jackson) and songwriter/composer name (Dennis Lee Jackson, my ASCAP account name) for a Classical release must match exactly. They wanted me to change the artist name to my full name, rework the single artwork to include my full name, and so on.

I did not want to release Ereis Overture under the name Dennis Lee Jackson. Who TF has heard of him? So, I did an end run around CD Baby and called ASCAP to find out if I could use Lee Jackson as a composer name. Turns out I can, with a little bit of account number prestidigitation. I therefore went back to CD Baby, registered the name Lee Jackson as a new songwriter/composer on my account (it cost me $10 to do so), and changed the composer name on the song to Lee Jackson. Blyeah, CD Baby. Big middle finger up at you. Kick this back from your inspection queue.

This sounds totally counterproductive. You situation is hardly unique. What is the benefit to them of being inflexible and pissing off various artists who use a stage name? Did Prince have to deal with this $#!% ?

I was planing on going out and doing all the things I need to do for the next couple of weeks today.  I have a screaming not a migraine head ache that isn't responding to my normal headache drugs.  I'd take an ibuprofen for it, but those are still off limits for at least the next month.  FML

9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There is no good reason to trust operatic vikings on a bus with financial planning.  But I can't get that jingle out of my brain.

Great, now I've got it in my head as well.  Thanks for that.

I finally have fully functioning, non-scratched-and-gouged glasses and lenses once more.

Sort of.

I went to my optician today to have my new lenses fitted to my frames. Upon arrival, I handed off my glasses and proceeded to wait. About 30 minutes later, the guy came back out with my glasses, had me try them on, and had me try to read a line of text. I could not - couldn't see it clearly. He took the glasses back and did some stuff, then came back with them looking quite odd. This time around, I could read the line.

Turns out the optician had cut my lenses incorrectly. He had left his lens cutter machine set up for the previous customer's frame shapes, knocking mine out of whack. Mine don't exactly fit into my frames - they're sitting at odd angles, making them look weird. However, they're getting the job done, more or less.

Meanwhile, the optician is ordering another set of lenses and is going to redo my glasses at no charge. They should be in next Friday.