• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, she doesn't have thumbs, ...

It does slow you down, that's why I'm working on mine. I think the trash pandas are working on thumb technology as well.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It does slow you down, that's why I'm working on mine. I think the trash pandas are working on thumb technology as well.

Given that Small City Kansas doesn't have city trash service, I'm surprised that we don't have more trash pandas than we do.  I've seen one in the 4 and half years I've been here.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Given that Small City Kansas doesn't have city trash service, I'm surprised that we don't have more trash pandas than we do.  I've seen one in the 3 and half years I've been here.

How many regular pandas do you see?

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Given that Small City Kansas doesn't have city trash service, I'm surprised that we don't have more trash pandas than we do.  I've seen one in the 3 and half years I've been here.

I saw one last night in Raleigh, poking at the back door to the house next door to where I was. Fear of humans did not seem to be a large part of the equation.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

How many regular pandas do you see?

I don't know for if he was regular, but he was well fed and was not walking as if he was constipated, so I'd guess that he was.

Actually, I don't know if he was a he.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't know for if he was regular, but he was well fed and was not walking as if he was constipated, so I'd guess that he was.

Actually, I don't know if he was a he.

I'm not sure when trash pandas have their kits, but it's possible that you were looking at a pregnant lady trash panda.  Of just one that gets into a lot of trash, could go either way.

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:

My webhost is down, both SSH and HTTP.  Not happy about this.

And now it's back up.  Their uptime isn't what I would like, but they are cheap.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

Given that Small City Kansas doesn't have city trash service, I'm surprised that we don't have more trash pandas than we do.  I've seen one in the 4 and half years I've been here.

Does that mean that you have a private for-profit trash service? If not, then how is trash dealt with?

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Does that mean that you have a private for-profit trash service? If not, then how is trash dealt with?

We have several for-profit trash services plus a private recycling center.  The leader in the trash services is Shorts,  which is who I use.  They give you a big bin to move out to the curb ever Tuesday night.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

We have several for-profit trash services plus a private recycling center.  The leader in the trash services is Shorts,  which is who I use.  They give you a big bin to move out to the curb ever Tuesday night.

We have a commercial recycle center which pays for metal. It is not close to me, but is near one of my kids. You can get about $50.00 for a trash bag full of crushed beer cans. Worth a trip if you have a lot of scrap, and they take steel.

We also have recycle sheds at our dumps. If you think something is good enough, you leave it in the shed and someone might grab it to use. Too low volume to really make a dent, but a nice token effort.

Best Buy used to take scrap electronics to strip the gold and silver, but they've cut back.

There is a broken water main at the end of my street.  The crew is working on it now, so I should have water back "soon".

50 minutes ago, mlooney said:

There is a broken water main at the end of my street.  The crew is working on it now, so I should have water back "soon".

The water went from "low pressure" to "none".  Really hope they get that broken main fixed soon

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The water went from "low pressure" to "none".  Really hope they get that broken main fixed soon

I keep a couple of half gallon jugs of water in my fridge, because every once in a rare while I've needed them.

18 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I keep a couple of half gallon jugs of water in my fridge, because every once in a rare while I've needed them.

I've got a pitcher of water in the fridge and I made tea before the water was totally turned off, so I'm good for the time being.

I just went down to look at the break.  Big honking hole, like 8 feet deep and about as wide.  They did have to expand the hole so they could get to the pipe to work on it.  Still no clue as to when it will be fixed and I get water back.

We keep a 2.5-gallon water dispenser in the fridge, and next to it is a gallon jug of water. Because we like drinking COLD water - and on days like today (93 degrees Fahrenheit at 5 PM) we go through a lot of it. When the dispenser is low (under about 1.25 gallons) we dump the jug into it and then refill the jug, so the water in the dispenser is always COLD.

I keep pitcher of cold water in the fridge as well as normally having ice tea.  Neither one of which got used during the "dry" period as I was still drinking tea.

12 hours ago, ijuin said:

When the water is off for hours, being unable to flush the toilet or wash your hands may become a more pressing issue than drinking.

That was in fact the case.  Fortunately I didn't have a bowel movement while it was off. 

Perspective, I've had more trouble with well pumps needing service than I have with city water failing, and I've had fewer wells than city service. Maybe older systems have issues?

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Perspective, I've had more trouble with well pumps needing service than I have with city water failing, and I've had fewer wells than city service. Maybe older systems have issues?

That make sense to me.  In the 70's I spent a lot of time (and lived there for a while) at my grandparents place in the Ozarks.  We had a spring that we used for water.  Only had a couple of problems with it over the decades, but when it had problems, it had Problems.