• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

My fridge has burnt out. Less than pleased by this

Damn, dude, you should not have purchased a home built on an ancient burial mound ...

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Damn, dude, you should not have purchased a home built on an ancient burial mound ...

That is beginning to seem like it might be the case. 

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

My fridge has burnt out. Less than pleased by this

I've just been told that it may take several days to get a repair person out and/or a new fridge. Really less than gruntled by this.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I've just been told that it may take several days to get a repair person out and/or a new fridge. Really less than gruntled by this.

Just got told that the earliest I can get a new fridge is Thursday. Problem with that is I have an out of town doctor's appointment that afternoon. Hopefully they can deliver the new fridge before 2:00 PM

On 11/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, mlooney said:

Just got told that the earliest I can get a new fridge is Thursday. Problem with that is I have an out of town doctor's appointment that afternoon. Hopefully they can deliver the new fridge before 2:00 PM

Just got a call from the rental agent. They are moving the delivery of the fridge to tomorrow instead of Thursday.

I have the worse luck with tablets.  I have broken the screen on 4 or 5 and have just had one decided it's not going to charge any more.  I've ordered an RCA Pro 2, which is a fairly big tablet.  Not happy about this.

I twisted my neck last night or this morning.  The left side of it hurts like a mojammer.  Taken analgesics but so far no effect.  Of course that was 10 minutes ago, so I can't really expect any effect for the next 20-30 minutes.  Still irritating and a literal pain in the neck.

The acetaminophen is working, sorta. I know that there is a still a pain, but it's less than it was when I took it. Counting this as a win.

I just banged my head into the bed frame.  Need to go take some analgesics.  And I was doing so well with not having any random ass pains. 

I slept like crap last night.  Woke up at 11:00 PM, 12:30 AM, 1:45 AM, 3:30 AM and 6:00 AM.  Giving serious thought about going to bed soonish.  Either that or make another pot of tea and try to wake up.  It's a coin toss as to which one I do.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I slept like crap last night.  Woke up at 11:00 PM, 12:30 AM, 1:45 AM, 3:30 AM and 6:00 AM.  Giving serious thought about going to bed soonish.  Either that or make another pot of tea and try to wake up.  It's a coin toss as to which one I do.

You're sleeping like I do on a nightly basis, it sounds like. I can only catch my sleep in 2 hour increments before something goes wrong. Either my whole right arm falls asleep, waking me up (the irony is not lost on me), or my shoulder pain flares up above an 8, or my diuretic kicks in, or some other bastard weirdness wakes me up. I sleep at random intervals throughout the day to make up for it now. Unless I'm out doing something, I have severe trouble staying awake more than 3 hours at home.

I used to try and make up for it by drinking Monster Ultra sugar-free energy drinks, which worked, but they've got so much sodium in them that they're bad for my edema. Coffee's not a good substitute - can't stomach it, nor can I stomach hot tea. I'm drinking Coke Zero Sugar as an experiment now, but it's not working. I'm flailing around at the end of my rope here.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Screw it.  I'm going to read/watch videos in bed and not try to stay awake.

I just did another 'turd so big it blocked the toilet' bowel movement. My ass still hurts, plus it bleed a little after I passed the thing. Not sure why I had such a large movement as I had normal movements all day yesterday and the day before. I checked and constipation isn't normally a symptom for Covid so I'm really puzzled as to why. Need to plunger the toilet in a few minutes. Less than gruntled by this. 

I swear I'm gonna pad the legs of my desk.  Just bashed my right knee into and the knee hurts like the devil.  Gonna lay down to take some weight off it.  I'll be awakened at midnight due to fireworks, but until then see y'all later.

Yesterday evening my laptop suddenly stopped detecting any Wi-Fi signals; borrowing my parents' laptop I determined that the Wi-Fi was fine - my laptop was the problem. Restarting the computer only made it worse - now the icon on the taskbar and the entry in the settings for Wi-Fi were gone entirely. I didn't want to wait for a computer repair place to be open to fix the problem (or to either pay for someone to fix it or try to make use of the warranty) if I didn't have to, so I used my parents' computer to go to the website of my computer's manufacturer (ASUS) and check the support section for suggestions.

I found a solution that seems to have worked for the moment, but before I thought to go to the ASUS site I found a bunch of Redit posts complaining about the network card my laptop has (and the drivers for said card) not being very reliable, and some people talking about having this problem repeatedly. So now I find myself worried that my laptop's wireless functions could malfunction again at any time without warning.

How comfortable are you with opening the case? I'd be inclined to take the network card out, clean the contacts, and reinstall it.

(There are sure to be pics online of the inside of your model of laptop, with the network card identified.)

35 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I suggest you get an Ethernet cable as a backup, so that you can plug into wired internet where it is available.

A good idea, except I'm not aware of anywhere I might go that has wired internet.

35 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

How comfortable are you with opening the case? I'd be inclined to take the network card out, clean the contacts, and reinstall it.

(There are sure to be pics online of the inside of your model of laptop, with the network card identified.)

Not very. Besides the fact that I have zero experience with working with the internal hardware of computers, there's also the fact that I just bought this laptop a few weeks ago and don't want to risk voiding the warranty or otherwise causing damage the warranty won't cover.

4 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I just bought this laptop a few weeks ago

If it does it again, take it in for service and/or replacement.  Make sure you have all your data backed up before you give it to the shop.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

A good idea, except I'm not aware of anywhere I might go that has wired internet.

Do you or your parents have a Wi-Fi router inside the home, or is it shared? Most household Wi-Fi routers that I have seen have a socket for Ethernet output that you can plug a cord into.

Well, the thing is, I (and my parents) actually rely on a Mobile Hotspot for home internet (we live out in the middle of the woods, where the only other option at the moment would be to get a satellite dish, and last we checked that was more expensive than we could afford). And no, there's no ethernet socket on it. (For that matter, I hadn't really thought about it since I never use ethernet connections, but there's no ethernet port on the laptop either - just HDMI and a couple different kinds of USB.)

11 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Well, the thing is, I (and my parents) actually rely on a Mobile Hotspot for home internet (we live out in the middle of the woods, where the only other option at the moment would be to get a satellite dish, and last we checked that was more expensive than we could afford). And no, there's no ethernet socket on it. (For that matter, I hadn't really thought about it since I never use ethernet connections, but there's no ethernet port on the laptop either - just HDMI and a couple different kinds of USB.)

Huh, I have never seen a laptop without an Ethernet connection, not that I look at that many laptops. The ones we have for work and my personal laptop are archaic. But it make sense, everything has WiFi now. Guessing that pads were the first to loose the port.

I haven't strung wire for a couple of moves now, but in a sense I prefer wired Ethernet, it is intrinsically more secure than WiFi, as you are not broadcasting a signal, so what you are sending and receiving cannot be sniffed. (There are still ways to eavesdrop, but the are more work. You should be using encrypted connections anyway. Probably in the middle of a woods, this is not a huge concern for you.)

The layout of my apartment does not lend itself to stringing wire; I'm not sure I can even find it in a store anymore.

In our server farm at work, everything is still wired, last time I looked (pre-COVID). I don't think you can successfully run hundreds of blades in one room all talking on WiFi, I think you'd have too much interference. When I do setup in my fairly dense apartment (twelve units per building), I see less than a dozen WiFI signals.

My one daughter lived not that far out in a rural direction a few years ago, and had lack of Internet service. She was able to do the same mobile hot spot scheme, and we at one point connected several laptops to Steam through her hot spot.