• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

As for running a server farm, Wi-Fi in its current incarnation tops out at a couple of gigabits per second, while the current generation of ethernet can manage 25-40 gigabits per second, so wired is giving you about an order of magnitude faster throughput.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

As for running a server farm, Wi-Fi in its current incarnation tops out at a couple of gigabits per second, while the current generation of ethernet can manage 25-40 gigabits per second, so wired is giving you about an order of magnitude faster throughput.

Wired, or fiber? I could be wrong, but tens of gigabits sounds high for wired. Point to point fiber should handle it.

My concern with WiFi was not so much channel throughput, but multiple channels in a tight environment stepping on each other. Throughput is good, but our (and I'm assuming most) environments have so many throttles en route that ultimately limit what the customer sees anyway.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Wired, or fiber? I could be wrong, but tens of gigabits sounds high for wired. Point to point fiber should handle it.

My concern with WiFi was not so much channel throughput, but multiple channels in a tight environment stepping on each other. Throughput is good, but our (and I'm assuming most) environments have so many throttles en route that ultimately limit what the customer sees anyway.

10Gigabit Ethernet runs on copper or fiber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My know-it-all aunt insisted I needed more fiber, but never said any thing about copper.  Are they interchangeable?

You should have fiber if you want a light meal.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You should have fiber if you want a light meal.

I eat heavy metal and gargle premium gas
I drink heavy water and nitro-demitasse
I eat heavy metal and chew up a Limousine
I munch barbed wire in my submarine

I like stainless razor, sharpen appetite
I can swallow laser, if I'm eating light
I like anchor sandwich served on aluminum side
I like rusty fences, locomotive pie

Eat heavy metal, I don't truck with tinsel
Drank heavy water, eat turbo schnitzel
Eat big transformers, I like stoves and cans
Tasty rolled steel girders, chomp copper pans

- from "The Iron Man" by Pete Townshend

It's partly cloudy here in Small City Kansas.  This means that there is a semi-regular increase/decrease cycle to the sun light coming into the living room.  This is driving me crazy.  Thankfully the sun will move out of directly shining into the living room in about an hour, but until then my eyes are Not Happy.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Sounds like you need curtains for that window.

I've got Venetian blinds on them. But you're right, need curtains for them.   

Usually, when people close venetian blinds, the toward-the-room edge of each slat is down. And it's obvious that they are designed that way.

There would be several advantages - including both blocking sunlight better and conserving heat better in winter - if that edge were UP.

Some venetian blinds close up sufficiently to be better than when closed down - but not all, and most of even those won't close up completely.

The nurse that was supposed to do an annual wellness check for me this morning husband is in the hospital, so they are doing a reschedule.  Considering my last check was in September last year, it's no big if they schedule it several months out.

We have a fairly long driveway, as well other parts of the yard we try to keep walk-able through the winter. However, we don't have a plow (and are not in the habit of hiring someone else to plow); instead I usually snowblow it.

Last night we had several inches of heavy wet snow. I wasn't sure if the snowblower could handle it, but assumed the worst that would happen was the snow would stick to the snowblower blades and eventually clog it; instead after a minute something inside it broke. I don't know if the snow being so heavy was the problem or if it would have happened anyway, but either way it means the snowblower will need to be repaired, and we had to remove the snow with scoops and shovels.

As a result, I just spent seven hours scooping snow. I'm exhausted and a bit sore.

8 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

We have a fairly long driveway, as well other parts of the yard we try to keep walk-able through the winter. However, we don't have a plow (and are not in the habit of hiring someone else to plow); instead I usually snowblow it.

Last night we had several inches of heavy wet snow. I wasn't sure if the snowblower could handle it, but assumed the worst that would happen was the snow would stick to the snowblower blades and eventually clog it; instead after a minute something inside it broke. I don't know if the snow being so heavy was the problem or if it would have happened anyway, but either way it means the snowblower will need to be repaired, and we had to remove the snow with scoops and shovels.

As a result, I just spent seven hours scooping snow. I'm exhausted and a bit sore.

I am so glad I don't live in a place where needing a snowblower is a given.  Also I don't have a car, so I don't have to clean off a driveway, so there is that.  I can't remember the last time I owned a snow shovel even.  Not sure I ever did.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Be careful with that. Shoveling snow actually claims a lot of lives through heart attacks, and if your snow was wet enough to break your snow blower, it's going to be very exhausting to shovel.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

I am so glad I don't live in a place where needing a snowblower is a given.  Also I don't have a car, so I don't have to clean off a driveway, so there is that.  I can't remember the last time I owned a snow shovel even.  Not sure I ever did.

During winters in my chronological childhood (as opposed to the one I'm living now) shoveling snow loomed large. It was a way for a kid to make some extra money on our relatively frequent show days. Personal snow blowers were not yet a thing.

They are working on my roof this morning.  Lots of thumping sounds right now. They were supposed to start "in the spring" last year, but didn't make it.  They did call a few weeks ago asking if I had any roof leaks, must have had some on the other side of the house.  Started on the other side of the house, but I suspect that they will make it to my side of the house this after noon.    Explorer is less than thrilled by the noise.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Be careful with that. Shoveling snow actually claims a lot of lives through heart attacks, and if your snow was wet enough to break your snow blower, it's going to be very exhausting to shovel.

Good advice, but the way you phrase that it sounds like you missed the last line in my post. I was already done with the shoveling when I posted - and the shoveling was in fact quite exhausting.

12 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Good advice, but the way you phrase that it sounds like you missed the last line in my post. I was already done with the shoveling when I posted - and the shoveling was in fact quite exhausting.

I quite understand. I did not move back to my home state when I was able to. I have no desire to deal with snow again.

Reminds me of an old Mad magazine cartoon.

Kids in a snow fort are taking bets on which of their snow shoveling fathers will have the first heart attack.  One girl claimed to win but the others say she cheated because her dad had a snow blower & had a heart attack trying to start it.

I heard a noise out side. I turned in the chair, forgetting that I was under the desk. Bashed my right knee into the desk leg. Gonna take analgesics and lay down

They are working on "the back side" of the house's roof right now.  They hope to finish the whole house some time this week.  So far they are only using hand tools, so the noise isn't as bad as it could be.  Plus there doesn't seem to be that many people actually working on the roof.

They are working very slowly on replacing the roof.  At the last house they did it all in about 2 days, this time it's taking a week or more.  Right now there is only one person up on the roof attaching shingles to the plywood.  They's done about 3/4 of the roof and aren't planing on doing the other quarter (the part over my living room and kitchen) until Monday.  At least it's fairly quiet.

They are working on the roof over my kitchen and are quite loud.  I suspect that they will be over my living room soon, assuming that they are going to finish today, not stretch it out for a few more days.  Given the speed that they have been working out, stretching is a possibility.