• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

487 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Several decades ago, a friend had kidney stones.  They put him in a tub of water and used sound waves to smash the big stones into smaller pieces that could pass.

Hasn't anyone improved this system to the point where it smashes stones into dust?

"Kidney stones Mr Tutin?  Go to the clinic on Maine Street and bring your trunks.  They'll have them cleared out before lunch."

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
spelling

Lithotripsy. Unfortunately, it's not 100% effective, and it's not for everyone.

It's also supposed to work on gallstones, but I was told I wasn't a candidate. Found out why later: I had pigment stones instead of the larger cholesterol stones. Surgery is the only option for pigment stones. Besides, my gall bladder was close to bursting when I went to the emergency room.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

They put him in a tub of water and used sound waves to smash the big stones into smaller pieces that could pass.

Those machines are more or less still state of the art.  My favorite uncle used to be a sales rep/technical support/installer1 of those systems.  He had stories that would curl your hair about the size of some stones.  Golf ball size stones were not uncommon and some twice that size.  I get stones smaller than most grains of sand.  I can't even start to think about ones larger than that.

Grain of rice to corn kernel sized stones may be removed by laparoscopic surgery.  My brother is a scrub tech that specializes in laparoscopic cases, and that is the second or third most common type of cases he works with.  For a grain of sand-sized stones, the conventional wisdom is that letting them pass naturally is better in the long run that doing anything surgical.

1His current job is being Santa.
366f275ac6e65c1c57d8a102afdfff69.jpg

Yes, that is his real beard and beard color.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Grain of rice to corn kernel sized stones may be removed by laparoscopic surgery.  My brother is a scrub tech that specializes in laparoscopic cases, and that is the second or third most common type of cases he works with.

Do you know what the threshold is between laparoscopic surgery and lithotripsy with natural passing afterward? Or is that even an option?

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Do you know what the threshold is between laparoscopic surgery and lithotripsy with natural passing afterward? Or is that even an option?

I have no clue.

Another thing I am annoyed about.  After my brief use of "Dropbox business" I now effectively have two Dropbox accounts, and it's pushing impossible to have both of them syncing at the same time.  I am less than fully gruntled by this.

I'm not quite sure why this bothers me as much as it does, but Rodger has it backward.  You get tone, then a lock.  Must be the 16S in me coming out.

autowb142.gif

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm not quite sure why this bothers me as much as it does, but Rodger has it backward.  You get tone, then a lock.  Must be the 16S in me coming out.

Something within your specialty that is done badly in a movie or comic is always more annoying than other slips. I have the same experience myself. When someone uses language in a pretentious way in a story I read and does it badly, it sends me straight up a wall.

(*grumble grumble* Bloody C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine who couldn't conjugate 'thou' and 'thee' properly and just used 'thee' all the time. Maybe Cherryh thought Morgaine sounded cool, but to me she sounded like frigging Jar-Jar Binks.)

Ok, we got Prof's fridge, mlooney's dishwasher, and we can add my bedroom window to the list as it's making a noise like an animal crying in pain whenever the wind blows across it, or a really bad kazoo player.

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Ok, we got Prof's fridge, mlooney's dishwasher, and we can add my bedroom window to the list as it's making a noise like an animal crying in pain whenever the wind blows across it, or a really bad kazoo player.

I have a feeling your window might be acting as some sort of BMEWS system for the Elder Gods.