• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

640 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There is a limit to how much coffee a human may safely consume in an hour, day, month, year, lifetime, Sothic Cycle...

One has to respect certain hard limits. For example, I once worked out that if one consumes half a ton of bananas a day, the cumulative amount of potassium taken in poses a grave radiation cancer hazard after only a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

One has to respect certain hard limits. For example, I once worked out that if one consumes half a ton of bananas a day, the cumulative amount of potassium taken in poses a grave radiation cancer hazard after only a year.

I will be very careful to never consume a half ton of bananas in one day. It might be difficult, but I think I can manage that.

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I will be very careful to never consume a half ton of bananas in one day. It might be difficult, but I think I can manage that.

Is the human body even capable of containing that much compressed mass? My applied geometry sucks ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Is the human body even capable of containing that much compressed mass? My applied geometry sucks ...

My father, who is an M. D. and holds a doctorate in clinical chemistry, assured me that while death may indeed result from such excessive consumption of bananas it would occur long before the cumulative effect of potassium-induced radiation becomes a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO

We MUST Eat Bananas.

All Day, Every Day.

I know this is true because the Singing Banana wouldn't lie to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Debit Card was declined at the dry cleaner and the pharmacy.

The ATM said the card had been deactivated.

The guy inside the bank asked me if I had been in Ohio and San Pedro in the last week.  (No, and no.)

Apparently, my debit card number was being used in places without me or my debit card.

This will be the third time in less than two years that my debit card from that bank has become compromised and had to be canceled.  One of those times was completely my fault when I left it in the ATM.  Another was the card playing games with me because I "lost" my card, only to have the old card reappear after the new one arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My Debit Card was declined at the dry cleaner and the pharmacy.

The ATM said the card had been deactivated.

The guy inside the bank asked me if I had been in Ohio and San Pedro in the last week.  (No, and no.)

Apparently, my debit card number was being used in places without me or my debit card.

This will be the third time in less than two years that my debit card from that bank has become compromised and had to be canceled.  One of those times was completely my fault when I left it in the ATM.  Another was the card playing games with me because I "lost" my card, only to have the old card reappear after the new one arrived.

Mrs. Prof and I no longer use a Debit Card for anything but ATM transactions. It's too risky. We use a Visa card with a decent rate and decent rewards (which get used for Christmas gifts) and try to pay it off in full every cycle. Much less liability should it get breached (which it has at least once when someone tried to use it to buy a ton of computer equipment in Germany—the card issuer caught it and allowed us to put the kibosh on it) or stolen.

I know everyone can't do that, but Mrs. Prof has worked us into that position and raises hell when I jeopardize it by buying too much crap. (That's why I haven't upgraded my external backup drive for my music composition machine or upgraded it to Native Instruments Komplete 11 yet. I spent my most recent luxury purchase on a 20-year-old chunk of Wisconsin cheddar that I shared with Mrs. Prof and our son when he came over to cook a Mothers' Day dinner (the cheese was pronounced "glorious" by my son).).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I spent my most recent luxury purchase on a 20-year-old chunk of Wisconsin cheddar that I shared with Mrs. Prof and our son when he came over to cook a Mothers' Day dinner (the cheese was pronounced "glorious" by my son).).

I had almost forgotten about that, what was it like exactly, really sharp or does the taste make another turn down a different route the more it's aged?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I had almost forgotten about that, what was it like exactly, really sharp or does the taste make another turn down a different route the more it's aged?

It had a very strong "I am cheddar!" presence with a wonderfully sharp edge, balanced in a way only 20 years of aging can do. The cheese's calcium crystals had formed perfectly—just the right amount of crunch to go with its strength. You don't take big bites of the stuff. You nibble a crunchy bite and savor cheddar at its best.

It's not something that I'd recommend to a first-timer, but if you're used to well-aged, crunchy cheddars, this would be at the top of the list you should try. My son and I believed I got my $45-per-quarter-pound worth, and Mrs. Prof didn't complain at all, even after she found out how much it cost (a very rare thing). She also definitely got her fair share when we brought it out of the refrigerator.

I backed off and let her and my son monopolize what I hadn't already eaten since receiving it earlier in the week. :)

BTW, if you're still interested, it's still available. Choose wisely on the shipping and handle with care when it arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what I want to see a massive amount of text about in my corp chat when I want to go out and either blow up spaceships or crack some puzzle boxes open for the big ISKs?

Sex outside of marriage.  I think there were some issues with gay marriage as well, but it's one thirty in the freaking morning.  I don't want to deal with this right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

You know what I want to see a massive amount of text about in my corp chat when I want to go out and either blow up spaceships or crack some puzzle boxes open for the big ISKs?

Sex outside of marriage.  I think there were some issues with gay marriage as well, but it's one thirty in the freaking morning.  I don't want to deal with this right now.  

Ah. Even EVE Online has a Barrens Chat. How saddening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just blocked my credit card because I inadvertently gave away too much information due to being overtired. The most irritating part of that is that I am 99% sure that the person in question was legit and would not have abused the information. But I woke up in the middle of the night and had a minor panic attack when I realised what I had done, and so I called the credit card hotline and had them block my card. *sigh* It will be two business weeks before it is replaced. Ah well.

At least everything seemed in order on my account, so there's that. Unnecessary precaution or not, my finances are safe for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reported to a Facebook friend and family relative that someone was trying to clone their account. With all of the publicity about this, why do people still try to do it? Are there really that many people who haven't heard about the scam yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2017 at 2:38 AM, The Old Hack said:

Ah. Even EVE Online has a Barrens Chat. How saddening.

EVE has ALWAYS had a Barrens chat.  The trash-talking didn't even stop for the Halloween War.

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yzjdriel said:

EVE has ALWAYS had a Barrens chat.  The trash-talking didn't even stop for the Halloween War.

Yeah, thing is though, there's Barrens chat, and then there's Jita chat which takes Barrens chat to a whole new level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, thing is though, there's Barrens chat, and then there's Jita chat which takes Barrens chat to a whole new level.

Well, yeah, given that Jita is actually /terroristtraining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yzjdriel said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, thing is though, there's Barrens chat, and then there's Jita chat which takes Barrens chat to a whole new level.

Well, yeah, given that Jita is actually /terroristtraining.

Which one of the reason I try not use Jita.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Which one of the reason I try not use Jita.

If it is worse than Barrens Chat, I do not want to go near it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

If it is worse than Barrens Chat, I do not want to go near it.

At least don't use the local chat.  If you are trying to sell stuff you took off the wreckage of others space ships fell off the back of a truck, well, that's another thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

At least don't use the local chat.

The only thing you should use local for is keeping an eye on how many people are in system, make it a separate window and make the chat side as small as possible but keeping players decently visible. Handy when going into lowsec, though it is useless when going into wormholes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The only thing you should use local for is keeping an eye on how many people are in system, make it a separate window and make the chat side as small as possible but keeping players decently visible. Handy when going into lowsec, though it is useless when going into wormholes.

Pretty much what I use it for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been noticing that my download speeds to my laptop have been slower than normal over about the past week. We pay Frontier FiOS for 50/50, so I ran an Ookla speed test and found I was getting only half of that. I had been getting 50/50 to my laptop over an 802.11n wireless connection, so I was clueless as to why I wasn't getting it anymore.

I called Frontier. (OhmydearlordwhydidIdothat.)

After getting Mrs. Prof to add me as an "authorized user" on the account (?), the tech had me run Frontier's speed test (also powered by Ookla). I got the same numbers. He then had Mrs. Prof do some futzing with the Actiontec router before having me run it again. Same results.

We then had Mrs. Prof switch from her VPN connection to work over to her home connection and run the test. She got 50/50 plus. The tech immediately went into smug mode and started to explain to me that I wouldn't get the same speeds over a wireless yadda yadda yadda. I wanted to reach out and touch someone, in this case the technician, by slapping the smug grin right off of his face. End phone call, with no explanation as to why my wireless speeds got nerfed.

I hate Frontier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

with no explanation as to why my wireless speeds got nerfed.

Have you tested speed between your computer and your wife's, just in your home network over wifi?

That speed is an absolute upper limit on the speed at which you can get anywhere else. (Assuming your wife's computer isn't so lame that it can't run its network connection at full wifi speed.)

HarJIT likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Have you tested speed between your computer and your wife's, just in your home network over wifi?

That speed is an absolute upper limit on the speed at which you can get anywhere else. (Assuming your wife's computer isn't so lame that it can't run its network connection at full wifi speed.)

No, I haven't tried that. Can't do that until tonight, once she's off of it. She's using it to work from home right now. What's a good diagnostic tool that'll give me human-readable numbers for the connection? (I know I can time something being copied, but I'd like a real network utility for this if one exists.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you flip a light switch, you expect the light to turn on. 

Tell that to my grandparents. They have the switch set in the "on" so the ceiling fan can run for air circulation. They have the light off because the room doesn't need light when nobody's in it, plus you can just go pull the chain if you want light. 

The problem is this is the shop (formerly an actual workshop room when Grandpa was more of a handyman, now it's more of a storage room for various tools, parts, and junk) is the room we're in the least, so why do we need air circulation either? And I hate tripping over stuff just to turn a light on. And we always need the fan on in a room we're almost never in but never have the fan on in a room we're always in (the living room)? Not sense make! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now