• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Out of curiosity, how much caffeine would that be for you?

5 strong teas plus 4 x 65mg in 6 hours.  All of of it taken well after my normal "caffeine" cut off point.

I have a screaming both lobs not a migraine headache for no damn good reason.  I am really less than fully gruntled by this turn of events.  Turning out the lights doesn't seem to have any effect so I'm off to take stage two of the headache ladder.

Bleh.

My hybrid portrait/landscape monitor is really too narrow in portrait mode.   Most web pages deal but the book of faces just isn't useable, which means I have trouble reading my feed while doing my "It's morning, time to mine a million isk" thing on Eve.

I have just verified, while awake, functional and with direct observation that I have at least one mouse.  I sort of thought I did, but had not seen on in good light.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to be cat sitting (sorta, the cat is coming here) my brother's cat while they paint the house.  Suzi is known to be a mouser, so that should solve that.   Going to get a set of glue traps anyway.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

I have just verified, while awake, functional and with direct observation that I have at least one mouse.  I sort of thought I did, but had not seen on in good light.

It is a testament to the age of computers in which we live that it took me a full minute to realise that you meant an actual living and breathing mouse, mus musculus, and not a mouse of the kind that moves a pointer on the computer screen. I was wondering why in the world it would take so much effort to verify that you actually had one of the latter sort. :icon_eek:

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

It is a testament to the age of computers in which we live that it took me a full minute to realise that you meant an actual living and breathing mouse, mus musculus, and not a mouse of the kind that moves a pointer on the computer screen. I was wondering why in the world it would take so much effort to verify that you actually had one of the latter sort. :icon_eek:

I'd be more worried if mlooney mentioned having a rats nest. If it was actual rats it wouldn't be much of an issue, but if it was anything like this:

1fea3fe85bfd92a096d812595112eddb--cable-

I'd say burn the place and start over. :D

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'd be more worried if mlooney mentioned having a rats nest. If it was actual rats it wouldn't be much of an issue, but if it was anything like this:

1fea3fe85bfd92a096d812595112eddb--cable-

I'd say burn the place and start over. :D

Been there, done that, still have some of the cable, but no Tee shirt.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:
3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We could order one....

DO NOT WANT!!!11!!  

Really, I don't want a tee shirt from any of the places that had cable rooms like that.  

Really don't want one from the first place.

I think he's saying we've done him enough favors. :D

On 10/23/2017 at 7:58 PM, mlooney said:

I have at least one mouse

In a couple of weeks I'm going to be cat sitting (sorta, the cat is coming here) my brother's cat while they paint the house.  Suzi is known to be a mouser, so that should solve that.   Going to get a set of glue traps anyway.

Cat is at least 2 weeks away so I've got a set of traps set.  Sucker is getting bold.

11 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Cat is at least 2 weeks away so I've got a set of traps set.  Sucker is getting bold.

Rat poison works wonders. Had to use it when I lived out in Kyle, TX (halfway between Austin and San Marcos - very rural, double-wide trailer country).

5 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Rat poison works wonders. Had to use it when I lived out in Kyle, TX (halfway between Austin and San Marcos - very rural, double-wide trailer country).

Given my cleaning habits and the fact that there will be a cat in the house soon, poisons of any kind are right the [redacted] out.

I have no desire to poison my self or Susie.

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Given my cleaning habits and the fact that there will be a cat in the house soon, poisons of any kind are right the [redacted] out.

Understood.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Understood.

The damn mouse just ran over a trap.  It didn't go off.  The peanut butter is missing from one also.  I suspect that the mechanical traps are not going to be the fix, but having a cat in the house is.  Even if she doesn't get it, most mice will leave a house with cats, or that is the theory.

Mice may find bedding material even more desirable than food.  When the restaurant closed next door and their mice tried to move in to the hospital, we used a live trap with one-way doors, positioned along a wall under some furniture where the mice tend to travel, and baited it with not just peanut butter but also some nice frayed-apart wool yarn pieces and cotton cloth shreds.  Just don't forget to either check the trap several times a day, or put a teeny dish of water in there (eg filling a bottle cap with water) and keep it filled so they don't die of dehydration before you can get around to taking them somewhere far enough away to release.

Or, you know, attach the bedding to the trigger of the snapper trap, as you prefer.  Just be prepared to put them out of their misery quickly if instead of breaking their neck it just traps and mutilates a foot or tail.

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Mice may find bedding material even more desirable than food.  When the restaurant closed next door and their mice tried to move in to the hospital, we used a live trap with one-way doors, positioned along a wall under some furniture where the mice tend to travel, and baited it with not just peanut butter but also some nice frayed-apart wool yarn pieces and cotton cloth shreds.  Just don't forget to either check the trap several times a day, or put a teeny dish of water in there (eg filling a bottle cap with water) and keep it filled so they don't die of dehydration before you can get around to taking them somewhere far enough away to release.

Or, you know, attach the bedding to the trigger of the snapper trap, as you prefer.  Just be prepared to put them out of their misery quickly if instead of breaking their neck it just traps and mutilates a foot or tail.

After seening the little guy run over the trap, I gave upon them.  I'm really not a trap person.

Simultaneous mild migraine and kidney stone.  To night is going to be less than optimal as the "lay in bed to avoid pain" positions fight it out with each other.

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Simultaneous mild migraine and kidney stone.  To night is going to be less than optimal as the "lay in bed to avoid pain" positions fight it out with each other.

Hire the mouse to push the stone out. /* runs away */

Bleah.  I enjoyed HalloweeM, the local Mensa Regional Gathering, last weekend, but the down side of spending a few days with 500 or so of your closest friends, seems to be that I got exposed to all their germs and something decided I'd be a good host.  I had a very scratchy throat yesterday, necessitating throat spray and cough drops.  Today, that turned into a runny nose, almost all running back rather than out, leaving me sniffling but unable to clear things out by blowing my nose.  And while my throat was much less scratchy, this evening I seem to be developing a cough too.  I took myself to bed before 9pm, but have had only fitful sleep.

What makes this especially annoying is that I have Weds through Mon off for TeslaCon, which is a bit over two hours away and thus a con that I actually get a hotel room for and take time completely off.  Because of the timing, I haven't spent much time getting ready yet, and I fear I'll need far too much of tomorrow to get everything organized and end up leaving late in the day.  This is an immersion Steampunk convention, meaning I'll be spending all weekend in costume, so it's important that I be able to assemble all the right bibs and bobs.  The convention doesn't officially start until Thursday, but I'd signed up to help with set-up in the morning, and I fear I'll have to choose between weenie-ing out in favor of extra rest, or ending up too tired to enjoy the con and/or fight off this bug.  Late arrival also makes it unlikely I'll be able to get a room with a mini-fridge, but I've resigned myself to that -- last year even an attendee who needed one to keep their insulin cold was having trouble getting one.

There is a good sign, in that this cold seems to be going through the usual stages pretty fast; it's possible I won't be contageous and sharing the joy by the time the con starts, provided I take the plenty-of-rest route.  But right now, it is damn annoying to not be able to breathe through my nose or to sleep properly.  Being sick for your vacation sucks.

Ah, well, if I had to be sick on vacation, better this one than the one with my sister earlier this year!

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

and I fear I'll have to choose between weenie-ing out in favor of extra rest, or ending up too tired to enjoy the con and/or fight off this bug.

It is NOT weenie-ing out. It is taking care of yourself. I am not having you stupidly making your condition worse by running around and pretending to be all right and I am certain your friends at the convention do not want that, either. To bed with you, young lady, and make sure you stay hydrated! :angry:

18 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

but the down side of spending a few days with 500 or so of your closest friends, seems to be that I got exposed to all their germs and something decided I'd be a good host.

This is why we got our flu shots TODAY, before going to Tuscon (no that isn't a typo) the end of NEXT WEEK.

(They normally recommend getting flu shots in early to mid October. Before it gets cold. We're spending the winter in southwest Arizona, where the concept does not apply.)