• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

I went to bed early, well, tonight.   I woke up and checked what time i was on my 12 hour based cell phone.  A little after 8, cool, I beat the alarms and every thing.

Then I get into the living area.  What do you mean 20:15 on Monday?   Turn off the tea water, put the cup of milk and sugar in the fridge and let's go back to bed.   A 3 or 4 hour power nap is not what I needed, I need a full nights sleep.  I thnk I'll make a limeaid and re-crash.

This is not my happy face

#IhateMySleepCycle.

#AllSleepMatters.

Turmux's support of perl is marginal.  Looks like I will have to either use the Linux vertual machine or program in C.  I'm thinking C, because I need to get my C chops back in order.

I was going to bug bomb the apartment and wait out side once my brother called my that he was was on the way, but between the weather and the fact that today seems to be "use the weed eater on the space between buildings" day, nope, not going to happen.

I am less than fully gruntled about this.

I set corrected. It's drive the way oversized riding lawn mower day. My bad.

Nope, Got it wrong again. They are using both today. Bleh

Edited by mlooney
Corrected lawn cutting device. Again

Out of power because money.

This means I can't work on my cover letter, which I need for a job application; on the "attachments" page, I could attach my resume, which is NOT required, but "other" IS required. Oh, and don't even get me STARTED on their "education" section. Why is the GED Date required? Most people don't have a GED! <i>Why is it required to say when you got one when most people never did?</i>

<i>And</i> this power outage means I can't work on that Pokemon Phylogeny project that I finally decided to start posting openly on that other forum. (the <i>Brawl in the Family</i> webcomic forum, for the record)

Speaking of said other forum: it does not handle nested spoilerboxes well.

I'm pretty sure that GED only applies if you did not graduate from high school. If you have a regular diploma, then that should replace all of the GED stuff.

(fortunately the power shortage didn't last long. still annoying)

The application's education section has, in order: School Attended (singular tense; there's only one field); City/Stage; #  Years; Degree (a dropdown menu that contains years of college (presumably if you attended but didn't get a degree yet), college degrees (BA, Ph.D, etc.), high school diploma, and GED); Highest Grade Successfully Completed; GED Completion Date; and Graduation Date.

ALL of those are required, INCLUDING GED Completion Date, which makes absolutely ZERO sense as most people don't HAVE a GED. What?

25 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Bug bombs that claim the kill fleas but don't.  I'll name names.  Hot Shot.  Does Not Kill Fleas.

The trouble is usually that it's relatively easy to kill adult fleas, but very difficult to kill the flea eggs, larvae, and pupae that are hidden in carpets, cracks in floorboards, upholstry, etc.  Those immature fleas can continue to progress through their life cycle, hatching out of pupae as adult fleas, for months.  Thus you continue to see live fleas even after treating for them.

The (sort of) good news is that if you treat every pet with a reliable monthly flea preventive (Frontline, advantage, NexGard, Vectra, Revolution, etc) every month, you should see most of the immature fleas hatch out and then die within a couple of months.  You can speed up their life cycle by vacuuming frequently; the vibrations trigger pupae to hatch sooner.  And as long as all the adult fleas are getting killed by the monthly adulticide, eventually you run out of eggs, and thus larvae and pupae.  Of course, all it takes is a couple of late bloomers getting together after you've stopped using the adulticide, and one flea can lay a couple of thousand eggs....

More "annoying" (edit: rather than "minor anger") now I've calmed down a bit:

Important headsup to those using SeaMonkey or Thunderbird with multiple gMail or gApps accounts:

The send-from-account selector selects the mailbox profile, not the SMTP profile. I did not realise this (though it figures, the friendly name etc being associated with the mailbox profile).

Why is this important to note? Well…

Mailbox profiles which have not been configured otherwise send using the default SMTP profile, and

Google SMTP changes the From-field address in the delivered email to match the SMTP login (leaving the friendly name as is), presumably to prevent their service from being abused for address spoofing. This does not affect sentbox filing.

The effects are as follows:

• The e-mail appears in the sentbox of the account you told Mozilla to send it from, as being sent from that account.
  • Invisibly to you (unless you send or CC to your own account), the email arrives to the recipient with your default e-mail address on it (not the one you selected), but with the friendly name (if different) of the selected account transposed onto it.

I'm sure you can work out why this might not be ideal in some cases.

Edited by HarJIT

Because I'm using floor bug spray that need several hours to dry in the bed room I have the Air con turned off.  NOAA says it's 74 out side.  My thermostat says it's 82.  Add in the fact that I took and Adderall this morning and I and pigging like a sweat.

This is my hot sweaty and not happy face

Painter's tape

No matter how much you spend It rarely sticks where you want it but don't you dare let it near itself cause if it brushes against itself it permasticks. I you do  manage to get it to to half ass hold the paint you get on it will adhere really well and which won't always separate along tape edge. Oh and even the frogtape sometimes seam to bleed under the edge.

5 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Painter's tape

No matter how much you spend It rarely sticks where you want it but don't you dare let it near itself cause if it brushes against itself it permasticks. I you do  manage to get it to to half ass hold the paint you get on it will adhere really well and which won't always separate along tape edge. Oh and even the frogtape sometimes seam to bleed under the edge.

I don't really have a lot of problems with the blue painter's tape. Sure, it does stick to itself and sometimes it tears down the middle when removing it from the roll, but it's been very workable in my experience.

There was this one time when my grandma got something I think was labeled as painters tape. What it actually was was crap. All the sticky was on one edge, so it was like a sticky note in roll form, and with like a third as much stickiness. If you breathed at it wrong, the whole thing would come off. Forget laying long strips of it down to protect things. And we'd cleared out that room to put down new carpet and paint the walls while we were at it, so we had to delay even further just to get painter's tape that didn't suck.

6 hours ago, Zorua said:

There was this one time when my grandma got something I think was labeled as painters tape. What it actually was was crap. All the sticky was on one edge, so it was like a sticky note in roll form, and with like a third as much stickiness. If you breathed at it wrong, the whole thing would come off. Forget laying long strips of it down to protect things. And we'd cleared out that room to put down new carpet and paint the walls while we were at it, so we had to delay even further just to get painter's tape that didn't suck.

Yeah, I've seen that stuff too, it's supposedly made that way (with the adhesive along one edge) to make it easier to remove but yeah it was crap. There's also that tape+drop cloth combo thats even worse to work with. Better off just removing all the trim and such, that's what it was intended for anyway, paint the whole wall but not have to go right to the floor or ceiling, etc, then use trim, baseboards and crown moulding to cover the rough edges. Tape is more useful for smaller projects.

With Firefox on Androd,  a long click with a mouse does not do the same thing as a long touch on the screen.  So if, in general, I want a link to open in a new tab I have to touch the screen, not do a long click.   Given the size of some links, and my not very stable hands, this is a bigger pain than it should be.  But at least now I know how to do it.

In other news, high light, cut and paste all work like I expect them to with Firefox, unlike some of the other browsers I have used on Android.  With an external key board and mouse it makes the Maven Pro almost like a real laptop.  It comes with a keyboard and track pad, but the keyboard is too small for me, and the track pad is way to senstive.  But with either blue tooth of the USB port hooking up real stuff to it is easy.

The amount of CPU grunt that is taken up by using Bluetooth to send music to speakers.  On a full on real computer, with real I/O support chips, this might not, and in fact isn't a problem.  On a jumped up tablet trying to pretend that it is a lap top?  Serious fail.  Actually, just the amount of CPU grunt taken up by Bluetooth on Android is rather annoying just in general.  Pushing high amount of data over it is really sub optimal.

I strongly suspect that the number of people reading this forum that this is useful information to is less than 5, my self included.
If you are running Firefox, on an Android device that has a USB port on it, that you have a keyboard and mouse connected to, and Firefox crashes about ever 90 seconds or so, check to see if the "Debug using USB" flag some how got turned on.   I wasted the better part of the afternoon and early evening on that.  On the good side, I now know exactly what is being launched at start up and have generally cleaned up the box.

I haven't been able to connect to my web site or get my e-mail from my hosting service all night. I couldn't even connect to the support service's website. After a good 20 minutes of searching, I found a contact page on ICDSoft's site which actually put me in contact with SureSupport.

The issue is DNS related, or so I thought. I tried changing my DNS provider from FiOS's to Google's to OpenDNS's and still kept getting the problems. SureSupport was able to connect to my site, but I still couldn't.

Then I gave them my external IP address. Their response:

Thank you for the IP information. This confirms that you are on a network affected by current connectivity issues with certain networks and the Centrurylink datacenter where your account is hosted. We have already informed our upstream provider about this issue and they are currently investigating it.

Urrgh. No e-mail until the smegheads get this fixed. Very frustrating.

The DirectExpress website.  You would think that after 5+ years they would notice they get a spike in traffic on payment day (the 3rd, unless on a federal holiday or weekend) and have enough grunt to handle it.

Nope.  Of course it is a government web site so it working at all should be not taken for granted

I've been wondering why my apartment has had such weird swings in temperature. Turns out the thermostat was set to "off"

As the yellow man on the show I don't watch says "D'oh"

Aerator/Flow regulators on sink & shower faucets

I like the aeration feature fine but I've go sucky water pressure so I keep having to disassemble the stupid pieces of crap and pull the flow control to get the force of flow basc up to where it's supposed to be.

Your filters may be partially clogged, especially if you have mineral-heavy water and the filters are at least a couple of years old. If so, then it's best to replace them--and if you want high flow, then choose the ones that reduce the flow rate by 35% or less.

Apologies for double post, but the usual workaround for the invisible text is not working on my iPhone.

Anyway, by "filters", I meant the little filter screens inside the aerators, not any other filters that you may have upstream from them.

I wish that were the issue. I really do. Unfortunately this house was built when building codes were particularly lax and the pipe while solid enough are of a barely adequate size to provide much water pressure, particularly the supply line to the house.