• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just in case anyone isn't suffering yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQt8pYUY6Q

I like that they use the authority figure of the bus driver at the end to drive the message home. Given his personal an look, the real message is you may be riding high on wall street one day, and driving a bus the next.

14 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I finally have fully functioning, non-scratched-and-gouged glasses and lenses once more.

Sort of.

I went to my optician today to have my new lenses fitted to my frames. Upon arrival, I handed off my glasses and proceeded to wait. About 30 minutes later, the guy came back out with my glasses, had me try them on, and had me try to read a line of text. I could not - couldn't see it clearly. He took the glasses back and did some stuff, then came back with them looking quite odd. This time around, I could read the line.

Turns out the optician had cut my lenses incorrectly. He had left his lens cutter machine set up for the previous customer's frame shapes, knocking mine out of whack. Mine don't exactly fit into my frames - they're sitting at odd angles, making them look weird. However, they're getting the job done, more or less.

Meanwhile, the optician is ordering another set of lenses and is going to redo my glasses at no charge. They should be in next Friday.

Are these your $400 glasses?  If the mucked them up they better fix them at no charge.

I've got several "lost money" things on the Oklahoma Treasurer's web site, several being over $100.  On the 10th of the month I filled out request to have them sent to me.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice that my auto fill from Chrome was filled in my old address.  I noticed that this morning, looking at the paperwork (which I haven't sent in yet) so I went back to the site to give my current address.  It wouldn't let me. I suspect I have to wait until the 10th or so of next month and start over again.  I'm less than grunted by this. 

I just got a text from the rental agency that I needed to put the gas bill in my name.  Well, setting the thermostat to 69 now.  I just checked my lease and gas isn't one of the things that they are covering, so there isn't any thing I can do about changing it, but it's still a pain in the ass.  That's ~$50 a month in new bills. Less than gruntled  by this.

Any body else having trouble with Gmail using the web site and Chrome this morning? It briefly (like 1/2 a second) displays the body of the message, then shows only the subject in a bigger font than normal.  Works just fine with Firefox.

They are doing something next door that requires a jackhammer and a bobcat earth moving vehicle.  Explorer is not happy and I'm not very thrilled by this as well.

My laptop stopped working yesterday. (I'm currently borrowing my parents' laptop.)

I'm hopeful it can be fixed, but I'll need to go to a professional - it's beyond my meager skills to fix. If not, I did just do a backup this past weekend, so I won't loose much. Not having it usable in the mean time is still a pain, though.

The really annoying thing is I have a major car repair bill coming up, and my finances were tight to begin with. I really didn't need another expense to deal with...

That sucks.  At least you have a backup.  I do _all_ my work in my ~/Dropbox directory.  Auto backup to both the cloud and another computer.  And I make a weekly backup to an external SDD

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I do _all_ my work in my ~/Dropbox directory.

Must be nice. My musical work averages around 50MB per file when I'm working in the digital audio realm. Dropbox frowns on too many files of that size. <_<

50MB?   That might cause Dropbox to have some issues, but I've not noticed it when I make my datasheet consolidation  files.  Those end up being about 1 gig in size.  Granted I only make about 7 of those.  Might be Linux file system vs Windows file system and the up channel speed of your internet.

I'm several hours early because about 6 this morning I had a leg cramp that woke me up. Calf muscles of my left leg are still sore. I've taken meds, hopefully they will keep working.

53 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm several hours early because about 6 this morning I had a leg cramp that woke me up. Calf muscles of my left leg are still sore. I've taken meds, hopefully they will keep working.

My leg just cramped again.  If this doesn't stop it's off to the clinic I go.  That will be a taxi ride, as I don't have any rides that don't require at least a day's notice.

It's hard to get the real stuff with quinine in it.  I know this because gin & tonic is my "grownup drink".  Been pushing 5 years since I've had one.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's hard to get the real stuff with quinine in it.  I know this because gin & tonic is my "grownup drink".  Been pushing 5 years since I've had one.

Look for Fever-Tree brand tonic water at your local liquor store. It's got the real stuff. I've been drinking it for twitching in my hands at my doctor's orders.

https://fever-tree.com/en_US

4 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Look for Fever-Tree brand tonic water at your local liquor store. It's got the real stuff. I've been drinking it for twitching in my hands at my doctor's orders.

https://fever-tree.com/en_US

Huh.  There is a store that carries it in my zip code.  Might look into it if my left hand trigger finger twitch returns.

My tooth ache seems to have subsided, however I now have a migraine and can't take meds for another 2 and half hours.  Not happy about this.

Oh fabulous joy.  They are tearing up the street out side my door.  Jack hammers and migraines, not as much fun as it sounds.  Explorer is hiding under the bed.

Pain meds taken.  Jack-hammering seems to be over.  In about 20 minutes or so, life might not suck quite as much as it does now.

Dear random US Army "intelligence" analyst:

If you are going to swipe large blocks of text from Wikipedia for your foreign equipment equipment data sheets, please remove the [citation needed] from the text. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Well, crap.  Just dropped and broke my big tablet.  There goes my random spending money for the month.

And it's going to take 6 hours to upload my data that isn't on the SD card to Drop box.  Seems that the up speed on WiFi isn't the same as down speed.

On 5/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, mlooney said:

Dear random US Army "intelligence" analyst:

If you are going to swipe large blocks of text from Wikipedia for your foreign equipment equipment data sheets, please remove the [citation needed] from the text. 

Thanks!

I've done something similar decades ago. We would use any source we could get, working our way from most reliable downward.