• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

There was a pedestrian bridge over the drainage ditch between my park & the park next door.  It significantly cut the walking distance to the bus stop, grocery & many other businesses I use frequently.  But it was damaged in the storm. 

Now it may not be used pending inspection.  There is no schedule for that. 

An inspection may result in an order to repair or replace the structure.  If those prices are too high, the bridge will likely be demolished.

Most of my neighbors are older than me.  Manny with mobility issues.  

Is this the fun part?

I have leg craps and I just banged the ever loving fuck out of my right knee on the desk. Gonna take this a sign I should lay down for a while after taking some analgesics. Sucks to be me.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I have leg craps and I just banged the ever loving fuck out of my right knee on the desk.

I know that feeling. Wednesday morning I was fighting with a water hose and two rocks decided to join the fray. One tripped me; the other bashed me in the thigh really hard. I might have had a few craps in the resulting expletives. (Keeping track of what I said was not on the priority list.) It hurt enough that at the supermarket yesterday, I chose to use one of their powered carts. And if we went to a similarly large store today, I might still use one. Oddly enough, the bruising and swelling were both just barely visible at all, even though it's still quite tender in an area a bit larger than the palm of my hand.

(I still defeated the hose though.)

Looks like I'll be waking up early tomorrow and in low grade pain.  Storm front rolling in, with thunderstorms starting about 6:30 AM and lasting, on and off, until noon or so.

My legs hurt and my right knee is throbbing, even though I didn't smack it on the desk.    This may be due to the front coming in, but it's not showing on radar just yet. I've taken analgesics but I think I'm going to read in bed for a while.  Then, when my legs stop hurting I'll get up and do some more on Project X.

Update.

The pedestrian bridge near my home has been reopened.

This was not a formal safety certification.  More like "'meh, seems ok" delivered by a bureaucrat for whom this was not their regular job.  Also, the bridge had likely been built without permits in the first place.

So the bridge is safe, until it isn't.

One more thing.  I know trolls live under bridges in mountainous Scandinavia.  What about suburban subtropics?

On 10/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Update.

The pedestrian bridge near my home has been reopened.

This was not a formal safety certification.  More like "'meh, seems ok" delivered by a bureaucrat for whom this was not their regular job.  Also, the bridge had likely been built without permits in the first place.

So the bridge is safe, until it isn't.

One more thing.  I know trolls live under bridges in mountainous Scandinavia.  What about suburban subtropics?

South Florida? Manatees is the most benign thing you might find. Pythons are an invasive species, because idiots exist.

21 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Dollar Tree, "Everything is a dollar" - nothing is a dollar. Update the damn sign already.

The Dollar Tree near me removed all the "Everything is a dollar" signage before setting the $1.25 price point.  

Back in the 70s, the department store downtown was still called "G C Murphy 5© & 10©" even though you could not buy anvthing for just a nickle or dime at that point.

Also annoying, my phone does not have the lower-case-c-with-vertical-line cent symbol

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Back in the 70s, the department store downtown was still called "G C Murphy 5© & 10©" even though you could not buy anvthing for just a nickle or dime at that point.

That class of stores were called '5 & 10's  or '5 & dime's; we had several, including a Murphy's. Woolworth's was the heavyweight of the group, with a lunch counter.

We had department stores with actual sales staff, usually multi-floor. I recall the 5 & 10s having less staffing.

I did inventory at a local department store one Christmas break; the group of us went to Woolworth's next door for lunch and had the 'all the clam strips you can eat' for lunch. A group of hungry late teens. 2nd round of clam strips was less than the original order. 3rd round was a side dish of clam strips. It took too long, and we had to leave after that. I guess that's all you can eat.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Also annoying, my phone does not have the lower-case-c-with-vertical-line cent symbol

It's not an ASCII character and phones do not seem to offer easy access to alternate characters. In Windows, you can use Charmap if you are so motivated; it is not generally worth the effort. I found ₵, which looks too large to me. Also this ᴥ puppy nose, and " ... ꜵ ꜵ ꜵ, walk like an Egyptian."

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why is there never a barbeshop quartet arround when you need one?

While the need for a barbershop quartet is rare, it would seem that this would be a time that they would be needed.

36 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So I'm at the restaurant waiting for my omlette when a cook tells a waitress "we have no bananas".

Why is there never a barbershop quartet around when you need one?

My feeble brain is trying to recall the last time I heard that song. It may well have been decades, yet the chorus is clear.

'No bananas' is a good number to have. I love bananas, but I can't keep them at home. They are an invitation to fruit fly infestation. I only get them when I'm out and about, consume immediately, and discard the peel on the spot.

To keep in theme, fruit flies are annoying.

22 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

To keep in theme, fruit flies are annoying.

Fruit flies like a banana, but time flies like an arrow.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Twisted the ever loving fuck out of my right knee. Taken drugs and plan on going to lay down really soon now.

My right knee still hurts. Meds barely stopping it. I'm seeing myself being back in bed real soon.