• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Student pilots.  Or pilots of small planes that like to do touch and goes, but I'm betting students.  At least it's only prop jobs today, so far any way.

UPDATE

And now I have a small jet doing touch and goes. Is this karma from me spending 10 years as some one with a mission to shoot down planes? Or just me just not thinking about what being a mile from a small airport meant? Either way, I am less than fully happy about over flights ever day the weather is good

I'm still having WAY to much fun getting my domain set up with my Serbian hosting company.  The whole reason I went with them, vs using my German/Danish hosting company is that they claim they have SSH access to your account.

They lie.  Or they have sshd listening to a port other than 22.  I have my 3rd ticket in with them now to see what the fork is going on.

#geekproblems.

Either Cox cable is really lying about their speed or the Apple App store is a freaking pig.  Or both.  I supposedly have the fastest option that Cox offers, but right now I'm getting 331 KBS, with a peak in the last 30 minutes of 472.

This is not my happy face.:mad:

Eww. My worst dental adventure was having to put up with a toothache for three weeks because every available endodontist was on vacation due to it being Christmas time. That one had a lot of pain, a lot of swelling, and a lot of pus.

My insurance... Who do I have to blow to get a new shrink?

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

Eww. My worst dental adventure was having to put up with a toothache for three weeks because every available endodontist was on vacation due to it being Christmas time. That one had a lot of pain, a lot of swelling, and a lot of pus.

Mine involved enough valium to drop a rhino resulting in hyperactivity, agitation, aggression, & hostility.

2 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Mine involved enough valium to drop a rhino resulting in hyperactivity, agitation, aggression, & hostility.

Pets can do that with sedatives sometimes.  They call it "paradoxical excitation".

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

I've never had an abscess like that, so I can't imagine the pain and discomfort. Must have been terrible.

My worst dentist story? Happened in third grade. Some kid took umbrage that I wouldn't quit blowing air at his hair while in line to get into the school in the morning (he had a semi-fro, so the temptation was bad and I thought he had a better sense of humor). He turned around and started bashing me over the head with a large glue bottle. A fight (mostly from him) ensued. At one point, he knocked me to the ground, bringing laughter from the rest of the kids (who thought I was weird anyway, since my mother was forcing me through the JW religion/cult/whatever at the time). I got up, charged him, and got a karate kick to the mouth.

Cue bleeding here.

One incisor was broken and hanging out of its socket. Seven other front teeth were chipped to varying degrees.

A teacher rushed me to the principal's office. He called my parents, who picked me up and rushed me to a dentist (or an orthodontist, I don't remember which) for emergency treatment. I spent eight hours in the chair that day, having the hanging tooth capped and stitched back in (it later died and had to be removed), and having another badly chipped tooth capped. Spent three days at home recovering, eating not much more than soup and baby food pudding.

I wasn't finished with the reconstruction procedures until I was in eighth grade. I won't go into the temporary phobia I developed (PTSD?), other than to say I eventually had to commute from Houston to Austin every other week so that the dentist my grandmother worked for could finally fix my teeth. I spent a lot of time on buses in my youth.

Yeah, the worst couple of days were of the "I wish I were unconscious so that I don't have to experience the pain" sort. Worst pain lasting more than a few hours that I have ever experienced.

On 10/4/2016 at 10:15 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

I have just discovered moments ago that I have a loose cap on one of my teeth. I'm going to have to schedule an emergency appointment to get it glued back in.

This is not my happy smile.

My crown has been glued back onto the post that is holding it on my jawline. Still on soft food for a little bit.

Annoying: the dentist found three other issues that'll need to be addressed. I go back in two weeks. Augh.

24 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My crown has been glued back onto the post that is holding it on my jawline. Still on soft food for a little bit.

Annoying: the dentist found three other issues that'll need to be addressed. I go back in two weeks. Augh.

Ouch. Still, better that they have been found now rather than they get left alone to worsen still further. :(

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Ouch. Still, better that they have been found now rather than they get left alone to worsen still further. :(

That's what I tell my clients all the time.  My patients are under anesthesia for their dentals, and the anesthesia is a much bigger part of the cost than a routine dental is, so if we find a problem, it's usually better to fix it right then than to have to re-anesthetize at another time, both health-wise and cost-wise.

I have registered a domain for my project, Edge of Imperial Space.  Right now, all it says is "Coming Soon" as a place holder.  Like an idiot I didn't get the anonymous WHOIS option.  In the last 2 days I've had 5 calls, all with Indian/Pakistani accents, offering me their services setting up a web site.  It's gotten bad enough that I turned off my phone. This is sort of [redacted] me off.  And the Serbian hosting company is still being a pain in the ass.  I'm giving serious thought to chalking up the money I spent for a year's hosting a loss and moving the site to my German/Danish hosting company.  It's not that much, so it's not the end of the world.

I have got to get an UPS (power thing, not guys in brown), and the important things to put on it are the cable modem and the external drive, both of which take longer to "reboot" than it iMac does.  And, for reasons, MicroSoft One Drive is one of the first things that starts up, and starts bitching about the lack of internet or it's folder.  Time to make it not auto start I think.  All the other cloud clients deal with not seeing their folder or no internet by waiting a few minutes then trying again.

I know that bitching about power failures that last just a few seconds is a bit, well, selfish when the coast of Florida is having hour or more power failures, but, yeah, I'm a diagnosed psychopath, so there is that.  Granted on the low end of the scale.  That however, may explain why I'm the number one poster on this thread.

Adobe Creative Cloud.  In particular it's fonts.  If you, like an idiot, use any of their free fonts, for the love of all thing Lawful Good, don't use them for any thing important, like the font for terminal, assuming you use terminal at all.  ACC down loads the fonts every time the system reboots OR you stop/restart ACC.  This is sub-optimal.  I just removed all their fonts (I'm not really using them) and spent more time than I should hunting down font caches and nuking them.  FontBook only deals with the system cache.   /Library and ~/Library are where the rest of the live, or, worse yet in /tmp, which is dirty pool.

It still takes forever to load webpages. I'm trying to load speestest.net. And guess what? "The site can't be reached. beta.speedtest.net took too long to respond." I basically can't use my laptop to Internet. Like, at all. Best I get is the page only half loads, getting cut off mid-sentence.

My phone isn't much better. The keyboard decided to just go away while I was typing this post. Four times!

A little while ago, part of our home circuit shorted out. Took the lights and outlets in both bathrooms, plus the hall light, hall closet light, hall outlet, laundry room light, and one of the bedroom outlets. Fun. Stupid '70s wiring. At least we have a second light in the bathroom on a different circuit.

New Egg, where I ordered my convertible monitor from, used FedEx.  FedEx, of course, sucks, and not in the good way.  They claim it was delivered on Wed, which I suspect means it was left at the Apt. Managers office.  And they are closed on Sunday.  So Monday,  I get to take the freaking half mile (measured distance) walk down to the office, then, hopefully carry a 12 lb package plus a half pound package1 back to my apt. 

This is not my happy face.

1Of course a monitor doesn't come with the cable you need to connect to an Apple produce product, because Apple is evil and doesn't use normal jacks if they can get away with it.  So I have to get a mini DVI to DVI adapter.  Please to note that no monitor that I am aware of actually uses a mini DVI, so having a mini DVI port on a non laptop computer is just being an ass.

20 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Political ads.  'Nuff said.

So glad I don't have a TV and have been off Book of Faces long enough that I don't feel a need to go back there.

Of course living in a state that isn't a "battle ground" state means even when I did have a TV ads were for local or state races, no one running for President bothers to buy ads for Oklahoma, other than those on the national networks.

However, there is the fact that Oklahoma being solidly Republican is, by the history of the state, a fairly new phenomenon. 

Power's out. Bill payment issues.

And we just got the air conditioner fixed, too.

The $5.75 cable I need to attach my multi-mode monitor is being mailed.  From China.  Last Wed, to be precise.   That's the day the monitor arrived.  USPS tracking is next to useless, so I have no freaking idea when the damn thing is going to get here.

20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The $5.75 cable I need to attach my multi-mode monitor is being mailed.  From China.  Last Wed, to be precise.   That's the day the monitor arrived.  USPS tracking is next to useless, so I have no freaking idea when the damn thing is going to get here.

*facepalm* Great.

29 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

*facepalm* Great.

Well, at least it's the secondary monitor.  It's just that portrait monitors are a lot better for making documents.  Plus a lot of the programs I use have a crap ton of tool bars that moving to a second monitor makes them much easier to use (Daz Studio and Gimp being the worse offenders on that.)

Today at work, we were putting up decorations for Halloween cus my boss likes to decorate for every occasion, I had an idea of making large spider webs out of twine on the front porch of the main building and then hanging stuff on them. In my mind, I had the pattern of how I was going to run the twine to make the web without cutting anywhere, however when the time came to actually implement it, I had a hell of a time trying to tie the twine in such a way that would maintain that pattern, and ended up scraping the idea.

I'm annoyed that my imagination doesn't include proper physics......