• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

NP: Friday, May 20, 2016

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Recent NP Threads have me contemplating a Ghostbusters / Star Trek / Tetris cross over.

I think TNG does that all on it's own, I mean there's the borg cubes, and the espisode "Power Play" essentially had ghosts possessing crew members, and an attempt to extract and contain them. ;)

In Star Trek:Armada II, you can fuse eight Borg cubes into one big, but the shape remains cube.

Oh ... yes ... Power Play ... one of many examples of android character behaving TOO much like human. Seriously, if they can posses Data, why didn't they went for the ships computer next? Still, better than Naked Now.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Oh ... yes ... Power Play ... one of many examples of Android character behaving TOO much like human. Seriously, if they can posses Data, why didn't they went for the ships computer next? Still, better than Naked Now.

Yeah, how they figured it should be possible for an android to be possessed is beyond me. And even worse was when that one scientist uploaded his consciousness into Data before he died "to know him is to love his is to know him", that kind of stuff was only possible for Data after he installed the emotion chip, which happened in Generations.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Note also that the idea that even just Star Trek movies and series fits into one continuity is considered unlikely by lot of people, including me and Susan, although I have problems finding the reference ... I think it mentioned the problem with Picard's different behaviour in First Contact and in TNG.

EDIT: found it.

The continuity issues between the original 10 movies and the shows are no worse than the continuity issues between the shows themselves. They're just more visible because it's 2 hours of movie, not 100+ hours of television you have to sit through to find em. There are numerous equally problematic discontinuities TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and even episodes within the same series (TOS kningons vs TNG klingons, Worf's love life,TNG cardasians compared to DS9 cardasians, Tom Parris in general, Belana being of similar age to Worf yet half klingon, the ever-changing list of things you can and can't do with a deflector dish, Moriarty vs the EMH, Data's legal status vs the EMH's legal status, Voyager's deuterium issues in seasons 1& 2, section 31 in general, anything from Enterprise involving Romulans or Kningons, etc.). The worst being the inconsistencies with TAS getting so bad that TAS was officially stricken from canon altogether. But even for those of us who accept the movie's faults, there's only so far acceptance of discontinuity can be pushed, and ST11 is so far past the line it can't even find it.

EDIT: Correction, apparently TAS was declared non canon first and the discontinuities came after. Whoops.

Edited by InfiniteRemnant
Got part of that backwards.

9 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

The continuity issues between the original 10 movies and the shows are no worse than the continuity issues between the shows themselves.

Unlike Susan, I don't think two continuities would be enough.

5 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

TOS kningons vs TNG klingons

That was "explained" in ENT. And it was almost as good idea as the explanations with midichlorians. (That was sarcasm.)

5 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

anything from Enterprise involving Romulans

Oh, yes. Noone was supposed to SEE Romulans before TOS.

6 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

and ST11 is so far past the line it can't even find it

Yup. Despite the temporal episodes of ENT making such great path ...

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
22 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

The continuity issues between the original 10 movies and the shows are no worse than the continuity issues between the shows themselves.

okay fair enough, but the point i was  trying to make is that ST11's discontinuities are an entirely seperate league of WTF from the other movies.

13 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
24 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

anything from Enterprise involving Romulans

and klingons. according to Picard first contact with them went so badly it started a war, yet archer runs into them all the time.

20 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
34 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

and klingons. according to Picard first contact with them went so badly it started a war, yet archer runs into them all the time.

Well, it DID seemed there will be war based on Broken Bow ... but, yes, somehow it didn't happened ...

22 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

okay fair enough, but the point i was  trying to make is that ST11's discontinuities are an entirely seperate league of WTF from the other movies.

My point was that what ST12 did with technology is even worse than what ST11 did with continuity.

(Also, good job with upholding temporal prime directive, Spock.)

... hey, maybe they solve the continuity problem by making another movie in which someone PREVENTS Narada from going back in time, therefore returning the normal continuity!

Yup. Despite the temporal episodes of ENT making such great path ...

... alternatively, you can explain ALL discontinuities by the temporal war being in progress, so the continuity keeps changing. Apparently, the scenarists are affected too, but we are outside the effect and therefore can observe it.

(Show me which other show had that good excuse. And that's not even taking Q into account.)

(EDIT: Ok. Doctor Who, I guess.)

50 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

My point was that what ST12 did with technology is even worse than what ST11 did with continuity.

(Also, good job with upholding temporal prime directive, Spock.)

... hey, maybe they solve the continuity problem by making another movie in which someone PREVENTS Narada from going back in time, therefore returning the normal continuity!

wouldn't know, i refused to watch it. currently boycotting the series till Abrams is gone, remember?

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That was "explained" in ENT. And it was almost as good idea as the explanations with midichlorians.

The best explanation was in the DS9 episode where they go back in time to the TOS episode "The Trouble with Tribbles".

It is one line in the episode, spoken by Worf: "They are Klingons. We do not talk about it."

Two of the most glaring continuity fuckups in ST11 are both pre-timetravel.

-The escape makes no sense: Rurapenthe does not have a habitable surface, and no amount of terraforming will ever give it a habitable surface; it's a rogue asteroid, there's no star nearby to keep it warm. you need to march over a mile through the snow in -100 to get to a beam-out site how the hell did dumbass escape? Kirk only got out because the guards deliberately let him reach the edge of the shield so they could kill him in a way that wouldn't raise suspicion.

-The ship makes no sense: A romulan civilian owning a ship is UNHEARD OF. All romulan ships are military property either directly or indirectly. (admitedly, i'm pulling this from the books since it's only implied not stated in the shows, but still...) How did he get one? Maybe that explains why it looks more like a Breen design than a Romulan one, oh wait, no, the Breen HATE the Romulans and would never build a ship for one, and no one else in this quadrant builds ships with asymetric spiky hulls. and that's without even starting on it's absurd interior design or unnecessary dril arm thingy.

21 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think TNG does that all on it's own, I mean there's the borg cubes, and the espisode "Power Play" essentially had ghosts possessing crew members, and an attempt to extract and contain them. ;)

Wouldn't the borg cubes be a Minecraft crossover?

4 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

-The ship makes no sense: A romulan civilian owning a ship is UNHEARD OF. All romulan ships are military property either directly or indirectly. (admitedly, i'm pulling this from the books since it's only implied not stated in the shows, but still...) How did he get one? Maybe that explains why it looks more like a Breen design than a Romulan one, oh wait, no, the Breen HATE the Romulans and would never build a ship for one, and no one else in this quadrant builds ships with asymetric spiky hulls. and that's without even starting on it's absurd interior design or unnecessary dril arm thingy.

You need to read Countdown comics.

Basically, the Narada is a mining ship, but retrofitted with BORG technology Nero STOLE from secret romulan MILITARY facility he only get into using senate codes he got from members of senate who did the mistake thinking his ship would help evacuating them.

It requires some luck, but in chaos of destroying Romulus, it might be possible. Certainly more possible than lot of other stuff happening in Abrams movies.

The experimental Borg-derived tech would explain why it had sufficient weapons to annihilate the fleet that Starfleet sent against it--even counting 150 years of tech difference, a mining ship does not need shield-penetrating weapons, just beams and explosives sufficient for blowing up inert asteroids. The orbit-to-surface drilling rig was probably part of the ship's normal design, however.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

You need to read Countdown comics.

Basically, the Narada is a mining ship, but retrofitted with BORG technology Nero STOLE from secret romulan MILITARY facility he only get into using senate codes he got from members of senate who did the mistake thinking his ship would help evacuating them.

It requires some luck, but in chaos of destroying Romulus, it might be possible. Certainly more possible than lot of other stuff happening in Abrams movies.

okay, tracked down a copy online, but that only actually answers the bizarre hull geometry question, and in the process raises other worse ones that only compound the issue:

-the pre-refit design of Nero's ship still has unnecessary spikes I've never seen on other romulan ships. even the Reman Scimitar Class has a smoother hull profile than that, and it was intentionally designed to be intimidating. No explanation is given. WTF? 
-A TRILITHIUM BOMB WOULD HAVE WORKED JUST FINE IN COLLAPSING THE STAR LONG BEFORE IT BECAME A SUPERNOVA. THIS ENTIRE SCENARIO DIDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN! not only that but it's a waste byproduct of warp technology, making it abundant unlike the raw material to make RM. thirdly, it's a romulan invention that Tolian Soran STOLE in Generations, they even attacked him over it. They wouldn't need to run around asking other people for help, they could make the thing themselves.
-that ship was able to effortlessly mop the floor with Post-Dominion-War 24th century ships. How the hell did kirk even scrat
ch the paint?

On May 20, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Pizzaboy10 said:

The best comparison I can think of is if in Die hard 4.0 they replaced Bruce Willis with some random Asian guy (for example), but still called him John McClane.

If anything, it seems like they're doing the opposite, sticking to the same race and body type religiously as if to make up for the gender swap.

On May 20, 2016 at 2:09 AM, InfiniteRemnant said:

A reboot  [...whose] effects look worse than [its] predecessor despite a multi-decade time-gap? (how did they even do that? i had to go back and re-watch a few clips of the old one to make sure it wasn't nostalgia blindness...)

Maybe it's just more obvious in the second trailer, but I thought the effects looked pretty darn good!  Main thing that bugged me about the first trailer is that the text intro makes it sound like the Ghostbusters existed in-universe thirty years ago, so it's a bit jarring to realize that's not the case.

On May 20, 2016 at 0:11 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

Is it just me, or has Sarah put on a few pounds?

I'm just as happy to see more diverse body types.  Sarah has gone from skinnier and flatter-chested to hippy-er and more generously endowed.  Wonder if it's a result of workong with magic so much with Tedd?

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, Scrapyard_Dragon said:

I'm seeing it too, but only in the last panel. Maybe it's part of Dan experementing with his drawing process?

Or Sarah is experimenting with a wider hips morph.  Side benefit of giving your comic characters shapechanging technology - you always have an excuse for drawing them off model.

43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She has a hourglassy figure here as well, but I suppose it's not good example :)

Yeah, I was mainly looking for one where she's standing fairly straight. Even in this NP she's got a bit of a twist in her hips that might be aftecting her figure. I know in my case if you look at me straight on, I'll look a certain way, but look at me off-center and a bit above me and suddenly I look like I gained 30lbs.