• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
liontari

Index of ongoing plotlines

The part of me that has a freakish urge to systematise everything thought that the end of a So A Date At The Mall could be an opportune moment to list all open plotlines in EGS, with the intention to update this post as the story moves along.

I don’t know if my categorisation makes things clearer or not, but that is my goal, at least. All comments and suggestions are welcome, especially if you feel that I have left anything important out, or included something that has already been answered. Consider this a draft.

Deliberately omitted are probable running jokes (e.g. the Dunkels’ comically laid-back approach to parenting) and most open-ended processes (e.g. Susan’s personal development). Some more speculative remarks are written in a shade of grey.

With that said, here we go:

The main nexuses

Basically, the reasons that seem to be behind the main story.

Pandora’s plot

• Her goals Is she motivated by more than boredom and her love for Raven?
  • The marks The exact identities of at least two mark-bearers are still unknown.

The magical system and its flair for the dramatic

• Will we ever find out just what the "mind" of magic really is? And who its emissary is on the physical plane, for that matter.

The Clog

• Which mechanism did Pandora use to cause the clog? Also, strange things have been common in Moperville for a long time, but how much of it is caused by the clog? Do the „whales“ have any role or powers, besides devouring magical energy?

The Multiverse

• How easy or hard is it to travel between universes? How many universes are there, anyway, and how are they connected? Only in pairs, or dice?
  • Lord Tedd’s universe Once a major focus of the story, with General Shade Tail being built up as perhaps the „final boss“ of EGS. Although it may have been introduced too early, I’m sure it will eventually turn out to be behind much of the rest of the plot. Oh, and Nioi, too.

The Magus-Sirleck-Voltaire-Helena-Demetrius plot cluster

Yeah, I don’t know how else to put this, as it’s all so intertwined now.

• Magus Is his homeworld the griffin parallel universe? Who sent him on his voyage? Why is his method for regaining power so hilariously specific? He clearly had communication with both Pandora and Sirleck during the two years before the start of EGS, but what exactly was talked about? Was it Pandora who suggested the method?
  • Sirleck Does he have motives for financing aberrations in Moperville, beyond ‘helping’ Magus? Is it even established beyond doubt that it was he who organised Spider Vampire & co?
  • Voltaire What was Plan A and did it consist of anything more than Elliot dying? What is the endgame of Plan CM, and how dangerous is it to our main characters? 
  • Helena+Demetrius Why were they guarding Elliot? Do they have an agenda beyond aberration killing?

The characters, their past and their future

Plot-relevant, but probably not directly plot-driving characters, and people and things related to them.

Diane/Susan

• Twins, parallel universe alternates, or something else entirely? Ongoing.
  • Susan's father May become relevant again in connection to Diane and all that...

Noah and Raven

• Who were Noah’s parents, and why did Damien kill them
  • Is Raven the official caretaker of Noah, and if so, why?
  • What kind of contact does Raven currently have with the immortal/wizard community?

Nanase

• What’s the deal with her being the equivalent of a magical princess in other universes?
  • Did Noriko retire? Or is she still hunting aberrations in Europe? How much exactly does Mrs. Kitsune know?

Tedd 

Grace

• How much did she retain from her prophetic dreams? Does it even matter now that Pandora is working on the issue?

Sarah

Sam

• Sarah+Sam
  • Sam and the TF gun/watches: It’s almost inevitable.

Justin

Luke

Elliot 

• What will the fallout from him being kinda-outed as Cheerleadra be?
  • What kind of spells fit his actual nature, now that he can get them?

Ellen

• Probably the least substantiated claim in this index, but it has always seemed to me that the Dewitchery Diamond transferred more than just the FV5 form from Elliot to Ellen.

Greg

• So what's the deal with him, then? It seems like Dan himself hasn't made his mind up regarding him being awakened or not. Or at least that's what he wants us to think.

Catalina

• OK, we now have the story of how she became a catgirl. When will any of the Main Eight find out, and will her spell ever be plot-relevant?

Melissa

• Realistic as it might be, I find it hard to believe that this will be the final resolution of her and Justin’s relationship.
  • Was there any specific reason for Noah to trust her with his secrets?

George

• Perceptive, and getting suspicious about many things. Will probably have to be keyed in to the whole story at some point.
  • His probable crush on Justin, and associated issues.

Arthur J. Arthur

• Likely to be part of a larger plot

The griffins

• Will return. Hard to say much more right now.

Miscellaneous

Things Dan has hinted at, and other stuff that didn't fit in the previous categories.

Zombies

The Uryoms

• The space stuff has been somewhat in the background since EGS shifted away slightly from a pretty strong sci-fi focus in the beginning. May become important when the Multiverse plot does.

Ashley's internet ex-girlfriend

Jeremy and Max

• Too strange not to come up eventually. Will perhaps be explained among many other things once the circumstances of Noriko’s departure are cleared up.

The OT3

• May or may not lead to something. If it is a running gag, it is one of my favourites in all of EGS.

College

• Aren’t the Main Eight in their senior year? Time to start thinking about their future…

Tertiary characters who we may see more of

• Matt Cohen He and Susan might not be happening, but I guess he might turn up sometime, even if he's graduated? Maybe going to end up with Charlotte?[/tinfoil]
  • Jerry Is still bound by his vow.
  • Kaoli I think it’s pretty much a given that she and Ellen will eventually meet again.
  • Grace’s siblings and grandfather May be relevant again when the death of Noah’s parents and everything Damien-related that that brings along come up.
  • Bad Tom Too elaborate an introduction, I think, for a character who won’t be seen again.
  • Larry In contrast to Rich, who doesn’t seem especially quickly redeemable, Larry might actually have a future in the EGS main story.

Sarah's journey toward accepting her bisexuality (whether she chooses to label it that or not). It was such a prominent element in "MV5" (after having been teased in the chronologically later but posted-earlier "Squirrel Prophet") that it almost certainly will be followed up on, whether as part of the OT3 motif (again, assuming that ends up being more than a running gag) or on its own.

5 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
5 hours ago, liontari said:
  • The marks Two are still unaccounted for.

the two unaccounted marks are most likely luke's two marked friends.

Hmm. Is this actually cemented information? We don't actually know for certain how many marks have been given out. Tedd's mark still hasn't been shown, Sarah's was an additional mark, and even though it seems clear that Catalina's been marked with the paw mark it's not completely certain. Sarah's being an additional mark really throws any predictions out the window, as Tedd's could be an additional one as well. We just don't know.

This in mind, I feel we should have something that qualifies certain information and speculative information.

8 hours ago, TamarTree said:

Sarah's journey toward accepting her bisexuality (whether she chooses to label it that or not). It was such a prominent element in "MV5" (after having been teased in the chronologically later but posted-earlier "Squirrel Prophet") that it almost certainly will be followed up on, whether as part of the OT3 motif (again, assuming that ends up being more than a running gag) or on its own.

This is an odd situation really, I mean Grace cares more about a mental connections with a person rather than physical attraction, the idea of her being polyamourous because of it isn't farfetched. One would figure that her relationship senses would have picked up something from Sarah and confronted her about it. The moment in the MV5 story when discussing Tedd's sexiness,  Grace's comment "so, you think Tedd's cuuute" plus her facial expression suggests a "I'm ok with sharing him with you." and the moment in the restaurant after the card tournament with Grace and Sarah both hugging and then simultaneously tickling Tedd would make it seem like Grace followed through with that thought of sharing Tedd with Sarah.

Hmm you know how Grace was all clingy with Sarah and Tedd after seeing the breakup announcement? I wonder if during (or shortly after) MV5, Grace decided that she didn't want Sarah to feel alone, and did her best to include Sarah in the relationship at least temporarily, like "you can keep looking if you want, but we can provide cuddles for you in the meantime." Not sure how far Grace or even Tedd would let it go but if the original OT3 sketchbook is canon...

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also the fact that George may have a crush on Justin.

Thanks, added that.

10 hours ago, TamarTree said:

Sarah's journey toward accepting her bisexuality

Made a small edit to that effect. Granted, her self-discovery is pretty open-ended, but you're right, it's a pretty important story element right now.

10 hours ago, Matoyak said:

This in mind, I feel we should have something that qualifies certain information and speculative information.

Do you have any suggestions? :) Should more speculative claims be kept to the the speculation thread, or should I create a small sub-category for that at the end? Or just use some kind of label?

Hmm, I'd say either a note at the start of the entry ("speculation -- Greg and Vladia's relationship") or a small separate section at the end collecting the more speculative ideas.

On 5/20/2016 at 5:55 PM, liontari said:

The magical system and its flair for the dramatic

• The Mind of Magic will work against Pandora’s plot if it is too successful. But why did the mind contact Grace specifically? And could the magical OS change happen even without Pandora’s meddling?

The Disco Wizard claims to be an emissary for Magic itself, and isn't sure whether Magic has zero, one, or plural minds. We don't know if Grace was specifically chosen, or was a random or just-the-most-convenient-for-some-trivial-reason choice among potential contactees - let alone who (Magic, or the emissary) might have made the choice or what reasons might guide the choice.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

The Disco Wizard claims to be an emissary for Magic itself, and isn't sure whether Magic has zero, one, or plural minds.

I was using Mind, in singular, to keep things simple. Nonetheless, I clarified the text a little. Another interesting question is whether the emissary-wizard is an actual person, and not just a form that magic takes when it wants to contact and appear comprehensible to mortals (and Immortals, I guess).

10 hours ago, liontari said:

Thanks, added that.

Made a small edit to that effect. Granted, her self-discovery is pretty open-ended, but you're right, it's a pretty important story element right now.

Do you have any suggestions? :) Should more speculative claims be kept to the the speculation thread, or should I create a small sub-category for that at the end? Or just use some kind of label?

I was thinking just like an asterisk, or a tag [speculation] / [contains speculation]. Like so:

On 5/20/2016 at 6:55 PM, liontari said:

Pandora’s plot

• Her goals Is making magic visible to everyone her main goal? Is she motivated simply by boredom and Raven’s remark?*
  • [contains speculation] The marks The exact identities of two mark-bearers are still unknown. Is she still creating more?

*contains speculation

One of those two (I lean towards the tag)

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, I'd say either a note at the start of the entry ("speculation -- Greg and Vladia's relationship") or a small separate section at the end collecting the more speculative ideas.

This would also work. I'd prefer the former over the latter.

But the more speculative stuff should stay in the speculation thread. This one should be for things that are essentially confirmed to be ongoing in some way, and that we've seen progress towards in previous storylines. The speculation tags would be there to clarify when we state something that is probably true but not necessarily confirmed (like the two marks left thing, or the Disco Wizard is a real person thing).

Edited by Matoyak

On 5/22/2016 at 6:54 PM, liontari said:

I was using Mind, in singular, to keep things simple. Nonetheless, I clarified the text a little. Another interesting question is whether the emissary-wizard is an actual person, and not just a form that magic takes when it wants to contact and appear comprehensible to mortals (and Immortals, I guess).

Just to be a bit esoteric, I have personally been calling the Mind of Magic by the Latin-ish title "Mens Magica" :D

Hmm, how difficult would it be to include links to the relevant strips for things like the Magic's Emissary dream, or the scene in Raven's hospital room where she declares her new apocalyptic goal?

15 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, how difficult would it be to include links to the relevant strips for things like the Magic's Emissary dream, or the scene in Raven's hospital room where she declares her new apocalyptic goal?

One link is easy, it's doing all of them that's the difficult part. And the main reason it's difficult is due to how long it'll take.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

One link is easy, it's doing all of them that's the difficult part. And the main reason it's difficult is due to how long it'll take.

I can imagine attempting to create a chart of all this would result in a giant spiderweb compared to the OT14 chart we had going on the old forums. :D

Just wanted to drop by to say that this list is amazing. I'm actually thinking of creating a excel-sheet (or something like that) listing all inter-character relationships. That honestly sounds like the logical thing to create next to this list of plot-lines. Some might get a bit complex (like Ellen and Ted), some are rather simple (Ted and Grace?; Ellen and Elliot? It depends on how much detail you want to go into. I like to imagine these two can be summed up accurately with "Tedsexual" and "she's family; help her" :p), but some relationships may seem non-existent at first. I'd love to see what people have glossed over and what connections there may exist that we haven't seen yet.

Uhm, but yeah, that should be separate of this awesome list of plot threads.

Edit: Though most characters have a "personal character arc"  as well, so we could probably make a list of those if we wanted to in yet another thread:P

I just went for it and created what I described above. I haven't put any thought into it yet, but here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZSyhAUz29WBT83IXKe5OasfYeLKBpiW6sqoUGDBPNA/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone can edit. It might be valuable to create a separate thread for it, but I don't know if people are interested in doing this kind of stuff.

Edit: Whoever wrote " Boyfriend and/or girlfriend " for Ted>Grace is awesome ^_^

1 hour ago, Maplestrip said:

I just went for it and created what I described above. I haven't put any thought into it yet, but here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZSyhAUz29WBT83IXKe5OasfYeLKBpiW6sqoUGDBPNA/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone can edit. It might be valuable to create a separate thread for it, but I don't know if people are interested in doing this kind of stuff.

I added a bunch for Elliot/Sarah, Elliot/Nanase, Ellen/Nanase, Tedd/Grace and Justin/Susan.

Now to clarify the "special bond" for Justin and Susan, they do have a kind of relationship the others don't have. Despite the fact that Justin is gay and Susan doesn't like physical contact and has trust issues when it comes to men (it's probably nowhere near as bad now as it was early in the comic), they still shared the closest thing to a romance than they've had with anyone else, and while they acknowledge they could never have that kind of relationship naturally, they've still become really close, Susan would likely tell Justin things before telling Sarah, and Susan has known Sarah for a lot longer.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I added a bunch for Elliot/Sarah, Elliot/Nanase, Ellen/Nanase, Tedd/Grace and Justin/Susan.

Now to clarify the "special bond" for Justin and Susan, they do have a kind of relationship the others don't have. Despite the fact that Justin is gay and Susan doesn't like physical contact and has trust issues when it comes to men (it's probably nowhere near as bad now as it was early in the comic), they still shared the closest thing to a romance than they've had with anyone else, and while they acknowledge they could never have that kind of relationship naturally, they've still become really close, Susan would likely tell Justin things before telling Sarah, and Susan has known Sarah for a lot longer.

Moved the discussion to a separate thread: 

Sorry for annoying you guys about it here, it was kinda a spur-of-the-moment idea ^_^;

Sorry about seemingly abandoning this forum and thread, I've had some difficulties with dragging myself out of a depressive episode.

On 25 May 2016 at 0:31 AM, SeriousJupiter said:

Thanks for making this thread, it will make recapping a lot easier. :)

On 30 May 2016 at 0:42 PM, Maplestrip said:

Just wanted to drop by to say that this list is amazing.

Thank you very much! It means a lot to me if I'm not the only one who thinks this is useful.

On 30 May 2016 at 0:56 PM, Maplestrip said:

Great idea! I don't think there's much more to add, you and your collaborators have done a pretty much complete job.

On 26 May 2016 at 2:00 PM, CritterKeeper said:

I started adding some more links. If you feel that any specific others are needed, just say so and I will try to do it, I've probably got too much free time anyway.

On 22 May 2016 at 2:56 AM, Matoyak said:

I was thinking just like an asterisk, or a tag [speculation] / [contains speculation]. Like so:

I decided to try a shade of grey, that's pretty much the equivalent of a tag. Anyone, please let me know if it seems good, and if something else should be made grey. The line between mindless speculation and a substantiated guess is surprisingly hazy...

Also added a little on Tedd's glove  and gauntlet.

What a great list! Thanks for doing the work.

On 5/20/2016 at 6:55 PM, liontari said:

Catalina

• We haven’t actually seen her as a catgirl in-story yet.

I'd to repeat myself about something: I think it could be funny and/or tragic if Catalina turns out to be one of Luke's friends.  Though I doubt Dan is going there, the idea of Cat being afraid to mention her magic to to Susan or Sarah both gives me the giggles and fills me with a bit of apprehension about the Main Eight's reaction to not being trusted enough by Cat for her to come out to them with her magic.

On 5/20/2016 at 7:55 PM, liontari said:

Pandora’s plot

• Her goals Is making magic visible to everyone her main goal? Is she motivated simply by boredom and Raven’s remarks?

We just got a huge chunk of her past that reveals motivation, I would imagine that when she was closer to 200, the idea of doing something like this just for Adrian's benefit would not cross her mind, or if it did, she wouldn't be willing to risk all the harm it could do to others. Now though, because she's grown unstable, she doesn't care what happens to others as long as she's able to provide for Adrian. It's like at the end of her backstory, it mentions her helping Adrian learn about himself and be powerfull but she kept within the limits of Immortal rules, but over the years, her power and insanity made her start to believe that it wasn't enough and looked for loopholes to exploit which leads us to now.