• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

STORY: Wednesday, May 25, 2016

5 minutes ago, HarJIT said:

I got in two minutes earlier! :imu2::demonicduck::danshiftyeyes:

Well, I did spend a few minutes typing up an actual reaction. :D:P

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How did Dan convince Susan to appear topless?

Difficult to illustrate where the mark used to be otherwise. Of the other marked characters we know of, all of them either still have the marks, or we never saw the marks before they awakened.

11 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Difficult to illustrate where the mark used to be otherwise. Of the other marked characters we know of, all of them either still have the marks, or we never saw the marks before they awakened.

We saw Justin's mark at the end of "New and Old Flames", but sadly he or any of the other characters saw it before Pandora awakened him. We've also seen Rhoda's mark at the end of "Death Sentence", but it also appears she or anyone else has noticed it either. We haven't seen Catalina's mark yet, at least, we haven't been shown Catalina actually having it yet, Grace assumes she has one based on her dream but that's about it. I'm guessing Rhoda and Catalina haven't gotten to the point in their relationship where they're taking off each other's clothes or else they would have noticed by now, or maybe they have and just haven't told anyone yet because they don't know who to tell.

I always thought Ted was obvious.

A wizard is someone who, having seen someone else cast a spell enough times, can cast it themselves.

Ted is someone who, having seen someone else cast a spell enough times, can make a wand that lets anyone cast it.

Rare? If you say so. Dangerous? Hell yeah.

It's interesting that Dan has a different focus entirely when describing him :)

13 minutes ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

A wizard is someone who, having seen someone else cast a spell enough times, can cast it themselves.

Ted is someone who, having seen someone else cast a spell enough times, can make a wand that lets anyone cast it.

Well yeah, Tedd's ability to see how a spell works is doubly dangerous considering his work in magitech devices, but there's gotta be something more to it.

Even though Amanda says that none remember the last time someone with this rarity existed, it should be noted that the Whale seemed to know what it was. I do wonder if the people from the Griffin's half of the world know about it too, Tara and Andrea saw Nanase's potential as being extremely potent which lead them to believe she was of royal blood, what would they say if they looked at Tedd?

25 minutes ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

There is also the part where Tedd can resist magic.  Everyone has some level of magic resistance, but Tedd's resistance is apparently different; we've seen him effortlessly shrug off temporary transformations.  I wonder what would happen with a more direct magic attack, like a fireball?

15 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

I'm calling it right now:

The silhouetted figure in the middle panel of the bottom row is Terra.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=820

I'm aware the hair style is different, but the comic is also a flashback. She could have easily  changed her hair style in the 2.5 to 3 years since that comic took place.

Pretty sure that's Tedds Mom : http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1690

34 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

I'm torn between calling Ted's power Artificer or Sourcerer, given his aura and his abilities...

That sudden magic buildup in Moperville could actually indicate a sourcerer, but that got dashed when the griffins explained the magic problem more.

Haha, I love grumpy Diane. I wonder if she's grumpy because she has no magic or because she was made to take part in this nerdy foolishness. :D

Argh, just tell us what Tedd is already! I can't take much more of this teasing. Clearly there is a better word for him than "mutant" and I want to know what it is.

Btw, those are some saggy boobs on Ellen in panel five. Yikes.

1 hour ago, Tuscahoma said:

There is also the part where Tedd can resist magic.  Everyone has some level of magic resistance, but Tedd's resistance is apparently different; we've seen him effortlessly shrug off temporary transformations.  I wonder what would happen with a more direct magic attack, like a fireball?

I gotta wonder of Tedd would even be able to shake off what would normally be considered permanent? Like if Tedd saw the spell that would change his default form, he'd know how it'd work and theoretically be able to counter it in some way?  I would also imagine that if Tedd saw a fireball thrown at him he'd be able to brace himself which could negate the spell. Not sure I'd want to see that tested in case it doesn't work like that though.

52 minutes ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:
1 hour ago, Howitzer said:

I'm calling it right now:

The silhouetted figure in the middle panel of the bottom row is Terra.

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=820

I'm aware the hair style is different, but the comic is also a flashback. She could have easily  changed her hair style in the 2.5 to 3 years since that comic took place.

Given the similarities (silhouette, floating swords) I'd agree too, though the figure does look like it could be Susan, I'm sure if she doesn't already have a spell like that yet, it would be a spell she could get considering her innate talents. Hmm....this is more fuel for the Noriko= Susan/Diane's mom theory, doesn't it?

14 minutes ago, partner555 said:

External factors cause improper awakenings unless Immortal induced? I guess that means angst-induced awakening is an internal one.

I'd tend to agree.  Susan has no reported magic buildup issues.

3 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:
18 minutes ago, partner555 said:

External factors cause improper awakenings unless Immortal induced? I guess that means angst-induced awakening is an internal one.

I'd tend to agree.  Susan has no reported magic buildup issues.

She was probably ready to be awakened for a while, all she needed was something to trigger it.  Elliot was probably close to awakening, but not quite, when he touched the diamond, so it prematurely awakened him and Ellen. Hmm, maybe awakening naturally isn't just about having enough magic energy, but becoming accustomed to how energy flows, like Elliot would have been using energy in the martial arts training, and the regenerating it over time. If Elliot hadn't developed the use and recover rhythm well enough, it could account for out of whack energy buildups, so his needing to control it by using his abilities more often than normal would allow that rhythm to settle down.

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She was probably ready to be awakened for a while, all she needed was something to trigger it.  Elliot was probably close to awakening, but not quite, when he touched the diamond, so it prematurely awakened him and Ellen. Hmm, maybe awakening naturally isn't just about having enough magic energy, but becoming accustomed to how energy flows, like Elliot would have been using energy in the martial arts training, and the regenerating it over time. If Elliot hadn't developed the use and recover rhythm well enough, it could account for out of whack energy buildups, so his needing to control it by using his abilities more often than normal would allow that rhythm to settle down.

Elliot definitely built up his magical abilities using his martial arts.  That's canon, as far as I know.  However, Eliot has no issues with his martial arts that I can remember.  There's no reason to assume his energy-handling system was poorly defined when more obvious and in-canon explanations exist.  Elliot and Ellen both had improper forms of Awakening and that is why they both got buildups. 

OTOH, I don't think Susan used her Mark that much before awakening.  The only Mark-uses I can think of is Susan summoning a katana during Sister and her first time creating Little Nase during Hammerchloreons.  Using the Hammers could have developed her magical ability, but I'm inclined to doubt it.  The Hammers were something any woman could use to club an offensive man, even outside moperville's extra-high magical energy, so I'd expect there'd be no or next to no magical training derived from using them.

The big factor in Susan's favor was her natural talent for making stuff out of magic.  The Paris Immortals were able to Mark Susan with a spell tailored to her talent without having to frame it within any deep needs or desires she might have.  Pandora was able to Mark Sarah the same way.

I'd say the threshold both being Markable and Awakable is having enough (magic energy + drama + innate talent]

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How did Dan convince Susan to appear topless?

Easy: She thinks noone is looking.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

We saw Justin's mark at the end of "New and Old Flames", but sadly he or any of the other characters saw it before Pandora awakened him. We've also seen Rhoda's mark at the end of "Death Sentence", but it also appears she or anyone else has noticed it either. We haven't seen Catalina's mark yet, at least, we haven't been shown Catalina actually having it yet, Grace assumes she has one based on her dream but that's about it. I'm guessing Rhoda and Catalina haven't gotten to the point in their relationship where they're taking off each other's clothes or else they would have noticed by now, or maybe they have and just haven't told anyone yet because they don't know who to tell.

Catalina and Rhoda likely still have their marks because they didn't awakened. And I would suppose they didn't realize the connection ... also they don't exactly have anyone to talk to - but that might've changed now they know how to talk to Cheerleadra :)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Well yeah, Tedd's ability to see how a spell works is doubly dangerous considering his work in magitech devices, but there's gotta be something more to it.

He wouldn't get anywhere with his magitech without this ability. But yes, I suspect there is some other dangerous aspect ...

2 hours ago, Tuscahoma said:

... maybe ... his resistance must be really high. But it's still enchantment resistance, not spell resistance (see explanation). On the other hand, he did resisted the hair watches failure ...

2 hours ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

Agree, definitely Noriko.

2 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Haha, I love grumpy Diane. I wonder if she's grumpy because she has no magic or because she was made to take part in this nerdy foolishness. :D

By "nerdy foolishness" you mean the marking which will take care of the first problem? :)

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

Immortals and internal reasons are ok. Other external factors are problem.

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Elliot was probably close to awakening, but not quite, when he touched the diamond, so it prematurely awakened him and Ellen.

I don't believe this. He was certainly closer to awakening than Susan. No, the problem was really that the diamond messed his magical profile or something, if instead of touching the diamond someone made him angry it would work ok.

2 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

OTOH, I don't think Susan used her Mark that much before awakening.  The only Mark-uses I can think of is Susan summoning a katana during Sister and her first time creating Little Nase during Hammerchloreons.  Using the Hammers could have developed her magical ability, but I'm inclined to doubt it.  The Hammers were something any woman could use to club an offensive man, even outside moperville's extra-high magical energy, so I'd expect there'd be no or next to no magical training derived from using them.

The hammers, while at the time were usable by any female, they were still a magic spell that would have used energy, so it would have helped. Also Susan apparently did use the hammer fairly often considering at one point she was juggling 3 of them while holding a lunch tray, that's pretty skilled there.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't believe this. He was certainly closer to awakening than Susan. No, the problem was really that the diamond messed his magical profile or something, if instead of touching the diamond someone made him angry it would work ok.

Yeah the diamond definitely messed with his magical profile. It caused magic to overcompensate how Elliot and Ellen would awaken and what spells to give them. Edward and likely other leading scholars of magic would of course explain that improper awakenings cause buildups, but did he actually explain why it would cause buildups? Like the actual mechanics of buildups and why frequent use of magic would help fix them? Tedd explained later that while Nanase was burned out, she was still generating energy which was then being expended by causing her hair to grow faster rather then just build up and possibly become dangerous to herself. Sure that can easily be explained by saying it's because she awakened properly, but still there had to be something deeper that explains why this mechanic exists.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The hammers, while at the time were usable by any female, they were still a magic spell that would have used energy, so it would have helped. Also Susan apparently did use the hammer fairly often considering at one point she was juggling 3 of them while holding a lunch tray, that's pretty skilled there.

Agreed, but the juggling three hammers and lunch tray is mundane hammer skill, but not any kind of magic skill. 

To do what it does, the Hammer-Artifact would have to require next-to-no magic energy, or none.  Compare to Tedd's watches, which use a tiny bit of energy.  They *won't* work for a normal human (or Tedd) outside Moperville's magic buildup, while the Hammers did.  So in terms of usefulness for magic training: Watches > Hammers.

There's evidence that the Hammers did not require any magical energy at all.  We know that Uryouom-brand magical energy does not activate Tedd's watches.  Grace can't use them, even with Moperville's high-magic concentration helping her.  But Gillian (a full-blooded Uryouom who also shouldn't have any earth-brand magic energy available) summoned a hammer accidentally after humanized-William made his first sexist comment.  If the Hammers required any magical energy to work, she shouldn't have been able to do it at all, let alone without really trying.

I'd argue that female "offendedness" = drama and the Hammer Artifact manifested Hammers substituting drama for magical energy. 

In Gillain's case, Magic may have allowed "humor value" to activate the Hammer Artifact.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I gotta wonder of Tedd would even be able to shake off what would normally be considered permanent? Like if Tedd saw the spell that would change his default form, he'd know how it'd work and theoretically be able to counter it in some way?  I would also imagine that if Tedd saw a fireball thrown at him he'd be able to brace himself which could negate the spell. Not sure I'd want to see that tested in case it doesn't work like that though.

Testing it with a fireball: Bad idea.

Testing it with one of Ellen's transformation beams? That could work, if the resistance fails there's no harm done. Of course it wouldn't be a perfect test as many fireballs are large enough that they hit an area rather than just single target.

1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

They *won't* work for a normal human (or Tedd) outside Moperville's magic buildup

They MIGHT work for Tedd. He's training a lot and it seems that while he never can get spells of his own, everything else works normally.

Grace can't use them, even with Moperville's high-magic concentration helping her.

Actually, the reason is that the high-magic concentration will NOT help her.

I'd argue that female "offendedness" = drama and the Hammer Artifact manifested Hammers substituting drama for magical energy. 

The Artifact is powered by Jerry, that means that any necessary energy is provided by Jerry.

In Gillain's case, Magic may have allowed "humor value" to activate the Hammer Artifact.

... I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry personally made sure it worked. Although it was only few months before Hammerchlorians ... maybe he pre-programed it? I suspect that the hammers were supposed to work without people being explained HOW like Susan was.

1 hour ago, Ser Pentrose said:

Testing it with a fireball: Bad idea.

Testing it with one of Ellen's transformation beams? That could work, if the resistance fails there's no harm done.

Well definitely no harm in testing, but remember that Ellen's transformation beams are enchantments. We are interested in how Tedd resists non-enchantment spells.