• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Scotty

STORY: Wednesday, May 25, 2016

17 hours ago, Drasvin said:
On 06/06/2016 at 0:56 AM, hkmaly said:

Sure, she does have that spell, but I still think her rampage would be with the hammers, because those will be the weapons she'll instinctively use. Unless she trained with the "real" weapons much more than shown.

I imagine she has some training with real weapons. When the comic first started, she was an extreme cynic that strove to hold to (a biased version of) logic and while it might not be a pleasant line of thought, being prepared for a vampire attack would be a reasonable course of action, especially as she's already been specifically targeted once.

Based on her only fight with vampire, she might expect that the weapon will gave her big advantage and not really expect LONG fight. Also, it's possible she trains less and less with time ... remember, it was implied she's having Nase summoned almost all the time AND she can't have something else summoned at the same time as Nase (of course, that was AFTER Jerry ... it's possible she trained more BEFORE Jerry ...).

Of course, that's all speculation.

while magic does have a will of it's own.

Sort of. Extremely loose objectives with inhumanly neutral intentions and I guess similar disclaimer applies to the will.

calculating E=mc2 gives us approximentaly 81.5337 petaJoules of energy to create such an object

Unless it's summoned or created from summoned material. But yes, I was mentioning earlier than Nanase apparently manipulates with more raw energy than nuclear weapons (although my estimate of doll weight was lower). But I'll say it again more specifically: Magic being a force capable of flagrantly violating SOME laws of reality, including the law of Conservation of Energy and Matter, doesn't means there are no laws which it MUST follow. In fact, we already know ONE law it's guaranteed to follow - no time travel. Based on how time travel is defined and in combination with theory of relativity, that may actually be VERY strict law (although I suppose the definition is actually less strict).

Also by that token, it would be possible that there could be conditions that make Uryuom abilities chaotic and dramatic. Such conditions would be like severe allergies or illnesses.

... hmm, ok, maybe not ALWAYS that predictable. Still, way more predictable than Earth magic.

Wizards might not be common enough for your average magic user to come in contact with them

True: my concerns would only be valid if the percentage of wizards will be high.

in part because most people have a degree of a conscience.

It's true that EGS world is not our world, so that's also possible. (I'm not having so optimistic view on OUR world)

On top of that, the ability to sense magical power appears to be fairly rare. In the main cast, only Tedd (who is special) and Elliot have been noted to be able to sense magical power, and Elliot's ability is unreliable. Outside of the main cast, I know Greg, Luke, Abraham, Raven, the Immortals, and the griffin couple can sense magic, but I'm not sure if any other magic users have been noted to possess the ability.

... Edward have spell for that or something like that, and Vampires seem to also have some sense like that, and if you think about it it actually seems most magic users have some way to sense magic. On the other hand, our sample is too small for such statistics and it may be biased.

So if a magic user wanted to perform a terror strike on a random group of civilians, there might be a magic user in that group without them even knowing.

There MAY be. But the chance might be very low, with magic users being rare AND considerable number of them actually BEING employed by government or something like that.

If word of what he was doing got to the authorities, he would have to contend with government agents. Especially if he was IDed, because then the agents would bring in the big guns (magical SWAT team!). He might have been extremely arrogant, but I doubt he was stupid enough to give the government reason to believe he was alive and active.

That's very good reason to lying low, instead of attacking on party where several magic users are present.

Pandora is likely only immortal that much crazy (Voltaire, while more evil, is likely less crazy).

I don't know. Someone who wants to bring about a better world by killing innocent people sure does seem crazy to me.

Political parties with this as part of programme won elections multiple times. Also, I didn't said he's not crazy: just that Pandora is more crazy.

18 hours ago, Drasvin said:

France at least has a paranormal organization as part of their government.

"People in government" might not be paranormal organization :) They may be part of government AND part of paranormal organization without the organization being part of government.

I also have a hard time imagining that most governments would completely relegate something as significant and powerful as a covert, super-powered police force to a private organization.

They would definitely not do that knowingly. On the other hand, it's much easier to keep masquerade without big number of elected officials getting in need to know. So there is definitely motive to keep paranormal organization outside direct government control by not telling government the truth, even if it would require some ally inside government and/or secret service circles.

which includes to possibility of the police using their heavier armaments or calling for beefier help if the situation is dire enough

Problem is that with technology, the police can (in worst case) call army with tanks and fighter jets - neither can be possessed by civilians (unless civil war is already in progress). With magic, it's possible that small group of magic users have bigger firepower than everyone else in country combined.

In towns and cities with solid governance and law enforcement, there was a different story.

Yes. I'm not talking about those. (Also, yes, it's true that I'm basing my knowledge of wild west mostly on movies, so it might not be that reliable).

Provided that Pandora isn't lying (and there doesn't seem to be any reason why she would be), the US government is not above strong arming people with rare and useful abilities into service. That's a worrying thought, but the paranormal divisions are still subject to oversight and regulation, so there is likely a limit on what they are allowed to do.

When we though that immortals can't lie, there was discussion about how deliberately vague Pandora was. Note that it's quite likely the person strong-armed into government work Pandora speaks about is agent Cranium. She didn't looked THAT miserable to me.

The paranormal division is subject to oversight and regulation by people which may be not completely in know about magic. Even without magic, the oversight over secret services is not so good.

I'm not sure if Voltaire was lying when said she's not threat to him. And Jerry even implied that there IS some self-defence exception to the "empower and guide" cause. On the other hand, Voltaire WAS looking concerned, so maybe there IS something Tara could do to him if he wouldn't retreat quickly - possibly not kill him but still harm him or cause pain.

He admitted part of the reason she wasn't a threat to him was because he could retreat to a plane of existence out of her reach. So he wasn't completely lying at least. Voltaire being forced to retreat, and the implied existence of the self-defense clause, leads me to believe that a powerful enough mortal could maim, or even kill, an Immortal. Such a death likely wouldn't be permanent (if an Immortal permanently dying is even possible, I doubt it would be that "easy") and would instead be an improper death, not keeping the immortal out the game forever, but certainly handicapping them for a good long while. Though that leads to another question: how powerful is powerful enough? Assuming the Immortal is on the physical plane, it's implied that the government agents could fight and defeat an Immortal (assuming the Immortal is playing fair which they wouldn't), but Agent Wolf has been noted as one of the most powerful Wizards in the Midwestern USA.

Yes. Although note that our informations is limited, and also Edward informations about Pandora are limited. He likely wasn't and still isn't aware that the "little girl" didn't reset for centuries over the recommended limit. Also, we don't know how far over the limit Voltaire is either (if he's over limit).

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

People on Wolf's level could presumably defeat an average Immortal (e.g. Jerry), but Pandora is believed to be the most powerful Immortal known, given the whole "power grows continually with age" thing. Her desire for unpredictability further amplifies the difficulty faced in fighting her. It is going to take a VERY dramatic battle (thus gaining aid from Magic Itself) to completely defeat her.

Also, she's not going to play fair. She might even cheat on Wolf's side. Definitely extremely unpredictable.