• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Sweveham

NP Friday 27 May 2016

What is the actual root of arguing? Attacking via fallacies? Human state of mind? Nature, (vs) nurture, logic, (vs) curiosity? Personality defines what opinion they stand on?

I do not even know.

43 minutes ago, Stature said:

What is the actual root of arguing? Attacking via fallacies? Human state of mind? Nature, (vs) nurture, logic, (vs) curiosity? Personality defines what opinion they stand on?

I do not even know.

Wanna argue? :demonicduck:

9 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

drives in on a forklift carrying a steel drum labeled ClF3

One order of unquenchable fire?

Ah, a flaming chemical I presume? Now we just need a catapult to hurl baseless accusations and a cannon to fire unwarranted insults.

Of course, all these weapons pale in comparison to the Biggest Airstrike of Napalm button, which only a select few have the privilege to even see and have responsibility over.

Just now, partner555 said:

Ah, a flaming chemical I presume? Now we just need a catapult to hurl baseless accusations and a cannon to fire unwarranted insults.

Of course, all these weapons pale in comparison to the Biggest Airstrike of Napalm button.

Chlorine Trifluoride is arguably the most flammable chemical known to humanity. It can burn almost anything, even things that are normally considered inflammable, like sand and asbestos. To quote Wikipedia, "In an industrial accident, a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath" And if spilled on something, there is no way to extinguish it other than letting it burn itself out. It reacts violently with water, so it will explode if you try to put it out with anything water-based. It is its own oxidizer, so atmospheric displacing extinguishers like CO2 and halon do nothing to it. Though it can be safely stored in an air-tight steel drum as long as you're very careful with it.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

How about Dioxygen difluoride, also known as FOOF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxygen_difluoride

...okay. That might be more flammable than ClF3, but harder to keep on hand as FOOF decomposes very rapidly. Also according to Wikipedia, FOOF has fewer uses outside of idle amusement, whereas ClF3is regularly used by the semiconductor industry to clean their chemical vapor disposition chambers and was once considered for use as rocket fuel (and was decided against due to difficulties handling it. I've heard the accident that resulted in ClF3 burning through concrete and the gravel beneath was when NASA was transporting some of it for testing)

Arguing is...well...I dunno, I mean there are debates where two sides discuss issues with facts or differing opinions, which is fine. Arguing is a debate with raised voices and emotions start becoming a factor, not ideal but one could still step in and calm the situation without too much trouble.

Flame wars, at least from what I've seen of them, usually involve trolls stoking an argument with things that get both sides even more aggressive or defensive about their positions. I'm still convinced that a few of the biggest social media keruffles of the past few years were largely fueled by trolls trying to obstruct any kind of calm discussion of real issues.

Also, I'm not sure if Dan intended this, but he kinda had the makings of a flame war in "So a Date" between Tara and Elliot, they both had differing facts and Tara wasn't interested in listening to Elliot's side of the story until Ashley (The Moderator) stepped in and attempted to calm things down, suddenly Voltaire (The Troll) appears and attempts to undo what Ashley had done and stir the flames again. Or maybe Ashley was just a third party attempting to calm things down and Helena was The Moderator?

35 minutes ago, Aura Guardian said:

Seconded. Also, some arguments aren't bad. Just... Flame Wars are bad...

Could one argue that all arguments are bad, otherwise it would be considered a discussion? And would making such an argument be irony or a paradox? 

27 minutes ago, tuoteg said:

Could one argue that all arguments are bad, otherwise it would be considered a discussion? And would making such an argument be irony or a paradox? 

One could, though not everyone would agree. And it would be irony.

The definition of arguing is ... subjective, I guess.

7 hours ago, Drasvin said:
8 hours ago, ijuin said:

How about Dioxygen difluoride, also known as FOOF?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxygen_difluoride

...okay. That might be more flammable than ClF3, but harder to keep on hand as FOOF decomposes very rapidly. Also according to Wikipedia, FOOF has fewer uses outside of idle amusement, whereas ClF3is regularly used by the semiconductor industry to clean their chemical vapor disposition chambers and was once considered for use as rocket fuel (and was decided against due to difficulties handling it. I've heard the accident that resulted in ClF3 burning through concrete and the gravel beneath was when NASA was transporting some of it for testing)

Another interesting thing is Azidoazide azide. As mentioned in this great video, it's so sensitive it's sensitivity can't be measured. List of things which can make it explode includes "absolutely nothing".

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also, I'm not sure if Dan intended this, but he kinda had the makings of a flame war in "So a Date" between Tara and Elliot, they both had differing facts and Tara wasn't interested in listening to Elliot's side of the story until Ashley (The Moderator) stepped in and attempted to calm things down, suddenly Voltaire (The Troll) appears and attempts to undo what Ashley had done and stir the flames again. Or maybe Ashley was just a third party attempting to calm things down and Helena was The Moderator?

Actually, VOLTAIRE and Helena were moderators and the conflict was excellent example what will happen if, in forum with multiple moderators, some of them start taking sides in the flame war. Except usually it ends much worse.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, VOLTAIRE and Helena were moderators and the conflict was excellent example what will happen if, in forum with multiple moderators, some of them start taking sides in the flame war. Except usually it ends much worse.

That would certainly make Voltaire a very bad moderator. Like one of those that would ban anyone that didn't take their word as law.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Another interesting thing is Azidoazide azide. As mentioned in this great video, it's so sensitive it's sensitivity can't be measured. List of things which can make it explode includes "absolutely nothing".

I like that video. That's where I learned about ClF3 from. I wonder if neutrinos set of AA. Would explain why it explodes in an air-tight, shock-proof case.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

That would certainly make Voltaire a very bad moderator. Like one of those that would ban anyone that didn't take their word as law.

While such moderators are bad, they do sadly exist.

20 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

That's where I learned about ClF3 from.

For reference: FOOF in some really interesting series of articles.

19 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

I wonder if neutrinos set of AA. Would explain why it explodes in an air-tight, shock-proof case.

More likely it was because of radioactivity. Some of atoms either in the AA or in the shock-proof case were radioactive and decayed in the "right" moment. But I also liked the theory about someone talking bad about it.

4 hours ago, tuoteg said:

The only people who call arguments a discussion are patronizing carp-holes who want to feel more "enlightened" than the other guy.

At least in my experience anyway, a lot of people define things based on what they've experienced and/or their ideals.

14 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Chlorine Trifluoride is arguably the most flammable chemical known to humanity.

Probably only because FOOF (dioxygen difluoride) technically isn't flammable at all.

(In the presence of FOOF, practically everything else is flammable, and most other things at least border on being explosive. Water, for example, burns like crazy - and the smoke will melt your lungs.)

Catch is... thinking about chlorine trifluoride, I suspect it actually isn't flammable either.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Probably only because FOOF (dioxygen difluoride) technically isn't flammable at all.

(In the presence of FOOF, practically everything else is flammable, and most other things at least border on being explosive. Water, for example, burns like crazy - and the smoke will melt your lungs.)

Catch is... thinking about chlorine trifluoride, I suspect it actually isn't flammable either.

I think it just reacts really energetically because it's got a free pair thingy hanging around on one side. That makes it more thwooshy fire explosivey.

I'll admit though my Chemistry-fu has grown weak since I switched academic focus from 'All The Science' to 'Arty Stuff For Some Reason?'