• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
HarJIT

Age Brackets (Bunny Demographics)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I think the Harry Potter series could probably span several age demographics, but then it was done in a way that people who were teens when the first book came out, kinda grew up alongside Harry as new books were released. At least that's the impression I got.

You're totally right about growing up alongside it. I was Harry's age when book 1 came out. That said, HP started with a younger target than Teens when the first book came out. Book 1 is outright a children's book, from the premise to the situations and on down to the vocabulary. As the audience grew, Rowling increased the maturity and complexity of the novels. Quite smart, that.

11 hours ago, Matoyak said:

I'm sure some do, but that doesn't mean it's aimed at 40-somethings. I also don't know how well that tracks...I mean, children's books, cardboards, and chapter books are written by 40+ year olds on average, but you wouldn't say they're aimed at adults, and you probably wouldn't say there's much crossover appeal. And of course, there's always exceptions (My Little Pony, for just one example).

And for the record, I wasn't saying it's impossible to find adults who enjoy reading YA books, I was responding to someone who said they thought the phrase "Young Adult" meant a specific age range. In common parlance it means what they thought it meant, but in book marketing and audience targeting it means something different and specific.

Yeah, but books for children (under, say, age 8) are written with specific language and style requirements that aren't really suitable for ten-year-olds, let alone adults. Also, "children's books" is a category defined by the intended audience, where "young adult books" is a category defined by the main characters.

Things like MLP are not written strictly for small children, they are written for a broad range that includes small children. The subset that is intended strictly for small children gets picked up by adults for the artwork and to complete collections, not for the story.

(Actually, "children's books" ought to be several categories by itself. A book for a four-year-old to read, a book for the four-year-old's parent to read aloud at bedtime, and a book for an eight-year-old to read are three rather different things.)

Rowling's aging the stories with the readers was nice at the time, but now it's awkward because my 7 year old wants me to read him Goblet of Fire. That one might be okay, but Order of the Phoenix is definitely going to have to wait a couple years.

On 6/1/2016 at 7:57 AM, Scotty said:

I think the Harry Potter series could probably span several age demographics, but then it was done in a way that people who were teens when the first book came out, kinda grew up alongside Harry as new books were released. At least that's the impression I got.

I think Azumanga Daioh was the same way in Japan, having a three-year run matching a three-year high school term.

Anyway, I'm officially 26 in about a month. Think I'll dust off my "Party Hat" slay collection and see what happens.

My age should be fairly easy to figure out, given that I've stated that I was in the army when I got hit by lightning in 1980

56, if you don't want to do the math.

I don't think so.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the publicly-anonymous setup of the poll itself...

You're right in that its accuracy will slowly decrease with time, hence it probably needs to be put to rest at some point and possibly recreated after it becomes too outdated...

Can you delete a poll without deleting the thread?  If so, can you then create a new poll?

A different forum I was on had a thread called "The Notorious TMI Thread" which had a series of anonymous polls, on various topics.  The results of a poll would be posted within a reply on the thread, so the accumulated answers were saved, before a new poll was put up in its place.  The thread title should give you an idea of the sorts of polls, but it was a fun thread in a forum as well-moderated as this one. :-)

Started 28th of May, so... around the 28th of June perhaps?

If that date elapses and I haven't closed it, Hack, feel free to lock it.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

I thought they started trying to recruit as soon as you turn fifty....

No, actually they start to recruit you as soon as they get your name and address.  My niece got an invite when she was a junior in high school.

I'm under thirty, and I first read EGS at the beginning of high school. I think that was before Sister, and no, I have no idea how I got from there to here.

On 6/19/2016 at 9:42 AM, CritterKeeper said:

I thought they started trying to recruit as soon as you turn fifty....

On 6/19/2016 at 10:56 AM, mlooney said:

No, actually they start to recruit you as soon as they get your name and address.  My niece got an invite when she was a junior in high school.

You qualify to join at 50 but as Mr Looney stated...

Over the hill is 40.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Piffle.  You can't even see the summit of the hill from forty.

When my mom turned 40, a friend of her's gave her a coffee mug that said "I'm not over the hill, I'm still climbing it, that's why I'm so damned tired all the time."

Therefore, when they say, "Life starts at 40", I counter it with "Life ends at 40".

Thank goodness I am still a young-un

22 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Piffle. You can't even see the summit of the hill from forty.

If we go by the average of ages my family has died, the summit would be less than 40. Lord knows we've started greying well before then.

That said...

1478815828-over-hill.jpg

I would argue this by saying that I would probably have enjoyed my younger life much more if not for all the older people in it, but now that I have turned fifty I have finally mastered the essential art of telling Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.