• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Monday May 30, 2016

Wait a moment, what kind of shrink soda was Sarah expecting it to be?

Dan also goofed in the commentary, he said "Ashley, meanwhile, is just very tall." when I'm pretty sure he meant Amanda.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Wait a moment, what kind of shrink soda was Sarah expecting it to be?

The one that shrinks your clothes properly.  Sarah most likely drank a leftover batch from Q&A 4 when they were still working on the formula.

I uh, hate to be that guy, but I find then when I'm drawing my own comic, the colouring is one of the fastest parts of the whole process. Though I guess I'm far, FAR more likely to just say "screw it, that'll do" when I'm trying to select a colour pallet, hahah.

6 hours ago, Howitzer said:

The one that shrinks your clothes properly.  Sarah most likely drank a leftover batch from Q&A 4 when they were still working on the formula.

Oh right, I forgot about the original shrink soda. I was sleepy when I posted....

36 minutes ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

I uh, hate to be that guy, but I find then when I'm drawing my own comic, the colouring is one of the fastest parts of the whole process. Though I guess I'm far, FAR more likely to just say "screw it, that'll do" when I'm trying to select a colour pallet, hahah.

Prior to Squirrel Prophet, the last time Dan did colour was for the first 4 parts of Sister 2. When he switched to straight black and white, he stated it was because it was faster and would let him stick to 3 updates a week while still dealing with school and possibly part time work. Black and white only lasted for 6 pages then went to grey scale because of problems he had with character designs.

Basically Dan compromised, grey scale isn't the fastest, but it's faster and easier than colour. Sure it's not so bad once you have settled on a palette but it's only really good if you stick to a limited number of locations and characters, you start adding more characters and new locations and suddenly you're trying to figure out how to expand the palette to accommodate those. Colour palette selection could be done during an initial planing phase before Dan started actually drawing a story arc, like "these are the locations, 2 indoor settings, and 3 outdoor setting, I'll use these colours for indoor 1, these for indoor 2, etc) but that would likely add time between arcs and then you'd have people asking why there be no updates. Also there is the possibility of changing a location or character design part way through that would require a palette change as well, which would add delays whereas grey scale wouldn't change, it is one less thing to worry about.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

This is one of those "there are really people who need this explained to them?" questions.

Yeah. ... Maybe they just didn't realize how MANY options there *really* are?

Yeah, many people may still be thinking in "256-color VGA or .gif" terms and not think about the full 24-bit color space of modern displays.

Also, shrunk Sarah is cute!

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Indeed. Although considering Sarah's love/hate relationship with transforming, I'd expect her to be alternately too excited and too terrified to properly answer the question.

I guess several months of working with Tedd and Grace finally cured her of that phobia.

8 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Indeed. Although considering Sarah's love/hate relationship with transforming, I'd expect her to be alternately too excited and too terrified to properly answer the question.

I guess several months of working with Tedd and Grace finally cured her of that phobia.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sarah is over the whole transformation phobia. Next up, seeing her friends naked. ;)

17 hours ago, partner555 said:

I do know of some good colour comics that have a usually good update rate, but perhaps those are the exceptions.

Either other artists are better (quicker) in finding colors that look good together, or they have less concern about the composition. Note also that if you include uniforms, for example, you don't need to care about finding new colors for every person ...

11 hours ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

... yup, that's the "less concern" option.

8 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Yeah. ... Maybe they just didn't realize how MANY options there *really* are?

Well ... technically, there are 256 options for greyscale, but Dan is only using 33 colors. Using the same method, you would get 35937 colors for RGB, which is still lot but much less. And there will be lot of colors in that looking very similar. The real issue is not that you can't limit the palette for RGB: the issue is that it's hard to make palette in RGB which would make colors look good TOGETHER.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

... it's surprising how cute she looks despite being between people who are ALSO shrunk ...

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
42 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sarah is over the whole transformation phobia. Next up, seeing her friends naked. ;)

I suspect that working with Tedd and Grace is good for that too :)

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Either other artists are better (quicker) in finding colors that look good together, or they have less concern about the composition. Note also that if you include uniforms, for example, you don't need to care about finding new colors for every person ...

I remember talking about this on the forums prior to the crash, as far as most of the comics I read, the ones with high quality colour artwork are either done by multiple people (one sketches and writes the dialog, the other inks and colours) or if it's done by just one person, they maybe update weekly. If Dan really wanted to do colour again, he probably would have to cut back on other things to give him the time needed.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I remember talking about this on the forums prior to the crash, as far as most of the comics I read, the ones with high quality colour artwork are either done by multiple people (one sketches and writes the dialog, the other inks and colours) or if it's done by just one person, they maybe update weekly. If Dan really wanted to do colour again, he probably would have to cut back on other things to give him the time needed.

Either that, or work with a colorist.

49 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Even on The Wotch, we mainly had Robin doing the colors while Anne or Ian did the line art.

... you also don't exactly have a regular updates three times per week.

(Although I must admit I didn't noticed the comics started again ... they must've changed RSS URL at the same time ... also, they didn't used to be wordpress, did they?).

19 hours ago, JustBecauseICantDraw said:

Can we get her in a bikini? Nooooo. A tissue? Sure. No sweat.

... well, if she will be sweating, it might be dangerous ...

15 hours ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

Y'know, it would have way more effective if Dan just left panel 4 in full colour for the sake of comparison.

Agree.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I saw TamarTree's slay before I read the comic itself.

I still didn't. WHERE it is?

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I saw TamarTree's slay before I read the comic itself.
I think this is the first time when I thought a Slay was significantly better than the original.

38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I still didn't. WHERE it is?

http://community.910cmx.com/index.php?/topic/15-egs-strip-slaying/&page=5