• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Feel free to improve the descriptions given  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZSyhAUz29WBT83IXKe5OasfYeLKBpiW6sqoUGDBPNA/edit?usp=sharing <here.

And feel free to discuss. The actual discussions will probably turn out much more interesting than the short discriptions we can give in an excel sheet.

If you have better ideas for how to handle this project, feel free to suggest!

Currently it says Nanase "has a girl crush on" Diane? Where did that come from? Did I miss something? XP

Does anyone have any idea what the relationship between Eliot and Grace is like? Surely, the trust eachother, but other than that, I don't remember them ever even talking? These are the kind of things I made the diagram for. Surely these two have a well-developed friendship at this point or something?

Btw, we could be using background colors to indicate certain feelings as well. love is pink, anger is red, I dunno. Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Maplestrip said:

Currently it says Nanase "has a girl crush on" Diane? Where did that come from? Did I miss something? XP

Should be the other way 'round.  Diane has a "platonic woman-crush" on Nanase.

10 minutes ago, Maplestrip said:

Does anyone have any idea what the relationship between Eliot and Grace is like? Surely, the trust eachother, but other than that, I don't remember them ever even talking? These are the kind of things I made the diagram for. Surely these two have a well-developed friendship at this point or something?

They've been part of the same group conversations a few times, but I don't recall offhand any one-on-one other than in crisis mode.

I brought Grace up because she is the only one of the main 8 for whom I have difficulty discerning her relationship with Elliot. (I kept Justin open because their relation is complex and multi-faceted). I hope other people can find some stuff :)

9 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Where did this happen anyway? I know Diane likes Nanase, but I don't seem to remember this being a thing at all... Maybe I'm just forgetful.

26 minutes ago, Maplestrip said:

I brought Grace up because she is the only one of the main 8 for whom I have difficulty discerning her relationship with Elliot. (I kept Justin open because their relation is complex and multi-faceted). I hope other people can find some stuff :)

I know Elliot initially was suspicious of Grace when she first showed up and they found out that she wasn't fully human. But there hasn't been too much interaction between the two aside from group sessions at Tedd's place. I'd say they're friends at the very least, he trusts Grace because her and Ellen are close friends and Grace is Tedd's girlfriend.

30 minutes ago, Maplestrip said:
41 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Where did this happen anyway? I know Diane likes Nanase, but I don't seem to remember this being a thing at all... Maybe I'm just forgetful.

Back in Family Tree. And it was shown again in So a Date when Diane was fangirling over Nanase's magic.

Grace and Ellen are Sparring / Training partners and Playmates.

Sensei Greg is the Martial Arts instructor for Ellen, Elliot, Grace, Justin, & Nanase

And even though there is absolutely no canonical evidence to support this speculation, I still contend that Vladia is Greg's girlfriend.

So... pages in which Grace and Elliot are alone together? this one is the only one I can think of right now, but surely there are more. I seem to remember Grace and Elliot conversing when they first met, though that may not be that important.

I'm honestly really annoyed at this gap in Elliot's row and collumn ^_^;

13 hours ago, Maplestrip said:

So... pages in which Grace and Elliot are alone together? this one is the only one I can think of right now, but surely there are more. I seem to remember Grace and Elliot conversing when they first met, though that may not be that important.

I'm honestly really annoyed at this gap in Elliot's row and collumn ^_^;

I'd just say that they're friends and leave it at that, I don't think there is anything special between them. Ellen's a lot closer to Grace mainly because of the time spent together before they started going to school.

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'd just say that they're friends and leave it at that, I don't think there is anything special between them. Ellen's a lot closer to Grace mainly because of the time spent together before they started going to school.

I'm going to write an angry email to Dan complaining about how the relationship between Grace and Elliot isn't developed well enough ;p

To be fair, though, other once that aren't filled in yet may be a lot more interesting. I have no idea what kind of relationship Justin and Tedd have right now, for example. Didn't Tedd have some internalized homophobia that made him uncomfortable while near Justin once? I'm sure that got a proper conclusion, but I have no idea when the two last talked :P

Nanase and Sarah should probably include something about jealousy, though I should probably reread "Hair" first. Susan and Ellen... I honestly have no idea right now. I mean, they're good friends, but well. I honestly keep forgetting so much about El Goonish Shive, I have to re-read it again -_-

For Tedd and Justin, yeah there was a time early on that Tedd was worried Justin might get attracted to him because of his androgynous appearance, I don't think it was homophobic on purpose but Tedd certainly didn't understand at the time what being gay was about.

Obviously since then, Justin has been over at Tedd's house numerous times, and then we have their interaction at the card tournament, so they're certainly friends as well now. Though Justin did comment once that they "should hang out more". :)

Nanase and Sarah, yeah there was some jealousy from Sarah and their meeting for the first time didn't go very well, but that's long passed now and Sarah seems to trust Nanase well enough to have gone to her for advice on how to break up with Elliot.

Ellen and Susan... I'm not really sure how much they've interacted lately, I have a feeling we'll be seeing them together in the near future, but as far as what's already happened, I think the last time we saw the two in the same room was Grace's birthday, which is really odd considering Ellen was instrumental in bringing Susan into the main eight, seriously, Susan likely wouldn't have gotten to know Nanase better, or met Justin if Ellen didn't invite her along with them for watching movies. I don't doubt that either of them would jump to the other's aid if needed, but that's a given because of their connections with the others, otherwise, they seem more like aquaintances.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't doubt that either of them would jump to the other's aid if needed, but that's a given because of their connections with the others, otherwise, they seem more like aquaintances.

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure any of the main 8 would help out any of the other main 8 members whenever needed... and basically the same goes for most other characters in the webcomic. To be honest, everyone is really nice in El Goonish Shive :P So yeah, you could easily just type "friend" for most character relationships, though that would be boring.

18 minutes ago, Maplestrip said:

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure any of the main 8 would help out any of the other main 8 members whenever needed... and basically the same goes for most other characters in the webcomic. To be honest, everyone is really nice in El Goonish Shive :P So yeah, you could easily just type "friend" for most character relationships, though that would be boring.

Yeah, It is hard to find anything to better describe some relationships, Susan and Grace is another one that best I can think of is they're friends and nothing really stands out to suggest anything else.

Ellen and Justin is kinda strange though, Ellen has all of Elliot's memories of how they became friends, but considering they're classmates, she has been able to see Justin differently than Elliot maybe, at least her memories of Justin for the past year are different than Elliot's. As far as what to put in the chart though, would it be "Friends by default"....actually that would kind of apply to Nanase, Sarah and Tedd as well, though Ellen has made it clear what her feelings for Nanase, Sarah and Tedd are, has she done so with Justin? I guess the closest thing I can think of is when she confronted Justin about his treatment of Elliot when he found out Elliot had been talking to Noah and mentioned Melissa. How would that fit?

Well, for a lot of relationships, especially Susan x Grace, you could probably write an essay about the intricacies of their relationship. However, if I had to sum those up in less than ten words, I'd describe them as "friends". Damnit.

I love your "friend by default" description for Ellen x Justin, though. It is an unusual situation. He was just kinda there when Ellen was hiding under a table or when they were at Grace' birthday party. Ellen x Sarah is a lot more interesting due to a specific piece of conversation Ellen once had with Elliot to make him understand that Sarah feels like his sister.

...Is Sarah Ellen's childhood friend because of Elliot's memories? Asking that, is Tedd Ellen's childhood friend due to Second Life? God, this is confusing. 

Edited by Maplestrip

1 hour ago, Maplestrip said:

Asking that, is Tedd Sarah's childhood friend due to Second Life? God, this is confusing.

Did you mean Ellen? Neither Sarah nor Tedd had a Second Life. And the characters in the Second Life would be separate characters of their own, I feel [ie: SL Tedd and SL Tony would have their own relationship dynamic, separate from our Tedd and Tony], maybe (maaaybe) with the exception of when interacting with Ellen and Kioli due to their being the ones in all worlds involved and them mapping certain people onto their main world / timeline friends mentally.

Yeah, I meant Tedd being Ellen's "childhood friend" in a manner. I know he's (somewhat of) a different character, but how well can Ellen distinguish between that herself? (outside of the logical, intellectual knowledge, of course. I'm talking about dem emotions :p)

Ellen's Second Life greatly affected the way in which she now interacts with Tedd, I believe.

4 hours ago, Maplestrip said:

Yeah, I meant Tedd being Ellen's "childhood friend" in a manner. I know he's (somewhat of) a different character, but how well can Ellen distinguish between that herself? (outside of the logical, intellectual knowledge, of course. I'm talking about dem emotions :p)

Ellen's Second Life greatly affected the way in which she now interacts with Tedd, I believe.

Yeah, Ellen and Tedd is strange. On one hand Ellen has Elliot's memories of growing up with Tedd from third grade when Elliot defended him from Tony. And on the other hand, Ellen's also got memories of becoming friends with a different Tedd pretty much on the first day of school and Tony likely never became a bully in that universe. While there were a couple parallels between the two Tedds early on that Ellen recognized and felt could be address with our Tedd, the "you're plenty good" bit in particular, pretty much everything else has been from Elliot's memories because they're the most relevant.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Yes they have. Ellen was clearly speaking of Fallout: New Vegas. :demonicduck:

Wait, that was Ellen?!?!?

:danshiftyeyes: