• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

Computer arrived, OS X 10.11.6 installed, all my standard apps installed, spell check works.  Only thing giving me fits, of course, is Adobe Acrobat Pro.  It always is flaky. The machine is just a little bit sluggish right now because it's doing a rather massive upload/download thing with 3 of my 6 cloud storage.  3 of them are done, but Dropbox, MegaDrive and Microsoft One Drive are still in mass mode.  Mega claims it's going to take 20+ hours to finish, but given it's encrypted data coming from New Zealand, that's possible. I dumped a ton of stuff into the One Drive folder (every thing that was in the old SkyDrive folder, that being the older version) and Drop box has 500+ Gigs to sort over and decide which ones need to go up and or down.  I expect it to take a day or so.

39 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Computer arrived, OS X 10.11.6 installed, all my standard apps installed, spell check works.  Only thing giving me fits, of course, is Adobe Acrobat Pro.  It always is flaky. The machine is just a little bit sluggish right now because it's doing a rather massive upload/download thing with 3 of my 6 cloud storage.  3 of them are done, but Dropbox, MegaDrive and Microsoft One Drive are still in mass mode.  Mega claims it's going to take 20+ hours to finish, but given it's encrypted data coming from New Zealand, that's possible. I dumped a ton of stuff into the One Drive folder (every thing that was in the old SkyDrive folder, that being the older version) and Drop box has 500+ Gigs to sort over and decide which ones need to go up and or down.  I expect it to take a day or so.

Congratulations. I love it when a new computer is up and running to my satisfaction. Hope the growing pains will soon end!

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Congratulations. I love it when a new computer is up and running to my satisfaction. Hope the growing pains will soon end!

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

SECONDED

Dropbox is being a bigger pain in the ass than normal.  Problem is I've got all 500+ Gigs on my external drive and it goes nuts if I tell it that's where I want it to play with.  After some select `find . -iname "*dropbox*" -exec rm -rfv {} \;` action and a reload, followed by being very selective as to what directories I want it's being slight more rational.  Still going to take a while.   Adobe is being rational, so there is that.  MEGAsync is just slow, but that's the one in New Zealand, so yeah.  It's almost done now.

After 12 nail biting innings and my dad going to bed after 7 thinking there wasn't a chance. The Toronto Blue Jays managed to get past the Baltimore Orioles in the Wild Card game 5-2 with a 3 run homer from Edwin Encarnacion.

Now for that post season rematch with the Texas Rangers.

Since my little girl-cat is an only child while the pup and I are gone during the day, I've been trying to find ways to entertain her and keep her from getting bored and lonely.  Today I bought her a tower which is about a foot high, with a narrow slot at the top, three levels, standing on a central post attached to a round tray underneath.  Each level has a series of holes around the outside, and a series of holes in the floor.  The holes in the side are big enough to fit a paw, but not a head or mouth.  Put kibble in the opening at the top, and kitty has to reach in and either fish out kibble one at a time, or push them around until they fall through a hole to the next level, and repeat that for two more levels until it drops into the tray below.

She had a blast!  Took her maybe twenty minutes to get ahold of every piece of kibble.  She's the one who was diabetic and is currently in remission, so I'm very strict about only feeding her Purina's prescription diet DM so she'll stay in remission.  The DM kibble are especially small and round, but the middle layer can be adjusted to have smaller holes and I set it to the smallest option.  She loves her canned food, but is obsessed with dry kibble, so this is an especially wonderful treat for her.  Kibble is higher carb than canned, so I think I'll still feed her canned in the evening, but this seems like a good way to entertain her when I leave for work!

And like any good small child at Christmas, she spent even more time playing on and in the box it came in than with the toy itself....  :-D

I'd like to know where you got it, too. I'm sure my wife's cat Saki would love it. :)

(Saki is a determined little thing! At one point I bought her some cat treats called Greenies. She loved them so much that when my wife's attention was elsewhere, she managed to claw her way through a fairly solid carrier bag, a protective wrapper and the Greenies bag itself to get more of them. My wife returned to find Saki happily munching Greenies to her heart's content.)

All 6 of my cloud sync are done.  I have all my normal applications loaded, plus all 2000+ 3d Models for Daz Studio, which is running a hell of lot better with 4 gigs of ram than it did on 2 Gigs.  Of course the extra speed of the CPU helps there as well.

Only problem I have had yesterday and today had to do with spending all night on sharecg.com looking for good free models.  I'm going to bed now.  Like I said a while ago, normal sleeping hours are for chumps.  I'm putting it to the Man, or Mother Nature if CritterKeep is right.  Either way, I'm putting it to some one.  It's possible the the some one is me, but meh.

I got the food tree at PetCo, and the brand name is apparently "catit" (printed with "cat" darker like that, presumably because someone noticed the mammalian body part people might read the name as including otherwise).  Silly kitty tends to look at the hand that brought the food to the tree, instead of the tree itself, for what seems like a ridiculously long time, but maybe she just wants me to pet her more than she wants food?

I landed my first programming job and started on the 6th. :D It's at a relatively small startup that deals with enterprise software, virtual reality simulations, and augmented reality safetywear. Currently I'm working on small, bite sized tasks on the web frontend, but due to the nature of the company I'm likely to broaden out into numerous other things beyond the web dev stuff. It's a contract-to-hire position, so I'll be doing taxes as a contractor for the first time in my life, and getting paid once a month as opposed to twice a month, so...that's going to be fun to figure out, especially as I've gone through three different jobs at three different tax brackets this year. (Was a petrochemical laboratory technician from July 25th through October 5th).

I found, in my big ass box of cables, a mini DVID to DVID adapter.  I no longer care when the freaking one from China being mailed gets here.  I now have bot monitors.  Only problem is (and this is really a #geekproblem) that a 20" portrait monitor is a little to tall to have the same angle of view for the whole monitor, which means that color and brightness isn't the same over the whole of the monitor.  This, however isn't that bad of an issue, due to the fact that it's my "look at a document in 100% letter sized paper monitor and where I keep tool bars that can be broken off some programs.  Gimp being really high on the list.

16 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Player/reviewer response to my music in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour. It's better than I could have ever expected so far. This one seems to be getting the best responses (embed has music only, no video):

See? I told you, nothing to worry about. And it sounds great! :)

Our daughter is employed as a computer technician and help-desk operator serving other employees of the same organization. She's one of the best at the job, and they are planning on sending her to project-management training because she's been doing project management too. She says someone asked her what education she'd had that made her so good at the job; her answer was "well... um... my dad was a computer programmer for 30 years."*

And they replied "That's it? Wow! I want to meet your parents!"

So recently they recognized a need to hire a contractor (to fix a program written in a language none of them know). She said "wait, I'll ask my dad!" and everyone she works with said "heck, yeah!"**

* Her educational credentials include an associate degree in psychology and 12 years of stage dancing, doing choreography the last e years. I think the latter is probably the biggest contribution to her project-management talent.

** Unfortunately I don't know that programming language either.

About two years ago I took up a class in an art school not far from here. It was great and with it was great, and for the curious here's what I was doing.That school was run by a gentleman named Macky Bongabong, a very talented artist, sketcher and painter; probably one of the best I've seen.

Cut to exactly 2 years later and I read this article and find out what kind of struggle he went through and how through perseverance and talent, he went on to greatness, gaining national recognition for his talent and work, and somehow through small beginnings went on to greater things like being mentioned in the same breath as some of the most celebrated personalities in the artistic scene in the country. I kind of feel honored that I was under his tutelage for a time, and that he's going up in the world. 

On October 29, 2016 at 0:55 PM, Don Edwards said:

* Her educational credentials include an associate degree in psychology and 12 years of stage dancing, doing choreography the last e years.

Either you found a very clever way to say she did choreography for a little over 2.7 years, or part of a word dropped out there.

You know I have a thing for Filipiniana (Filipino culture pieces) and I constantly bemoan how tragically lacking the internet (and by extension, ignorantly, the world) is when it comes to finding them.

I was gladly proven wrong by one of my former Professors from University when I asked her for help regarding my current course called "Understanding Filipino Art and Culture"; she gave me a gold mine of information of art and literature resources including a Government-Funded 9 volume comprehensive encyclopedia on Filipino Art; and each book is at least 4 inches, but what really made me happy was that the 9th book in that encyclopedia on literature was 5.5-6 inches thick covering over a thousand years of literary history that somehow managed to survive long enough to be written down. I could only rifle through the books for a few minutes each but that was enough to find 15 new documentaries, books, and commentaries on music and literature.

So many resources, so much culture preserved. After 3 years of scouring the internet for obscure and hardly verifiable sources I can't be any happier; I was crying while reading everything up from mythology to ghost stories.