• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

My Ubuntu based laptop has finally been beaten into submission and in general is doing the Right Thing 95% of the time
Some notes:

• I have discoverer that of the windows manger all I really like are XFCE4 and Plasma, and XFCE4 is failing to Play Nice with non XFCE4 applications, so all windows managers other than Plasma have been removed.
  • I have removed all the applications that don't directly impact my work flow and normal use of the laptop
  • The application `apt` beats the snot out of `apt-get`.  It Does the Right Thing way more often than `apt-get` 
  • The application `gtkorphan` kicks all the ass
  • Firefox does not play well with NetFicks, but Chrome Does the Right Thing so that isn't really a problem..
  • Has USB ports on both sides
  • Has an external SATA port
  • Has both a VGA and HDMI out put option
  • Not that it matters in 2017, but has a built in Modem and a Gigabyte Ethernet port
  • The touch pad can be set to disable it's self if there is a mouse installed
  • Had a middle of the key board "joystick" style mouse.
  • Right now has the best perfomace of all the computers and computer like items I own just in general and with video playback
  • Damn easy to set up sftp shares of other machines on my local network
  • The Dropbox client for Linux works well and has very good Nautilus support.  Doesn't play well with XFE4 however.
  • One the other hand there isn't a Google Drive client and the 3rd party `grive` application sucks.
  • The Yandex Disk application Just Works.  No graphical interface, but once set up you really don't need one.

I have got the only cloud drive client that seems to play nice with both the Linux box and the iMac (Mega.nz) to work correctly on the Linux box.  Seems that the default settings it installs for the Linux client is broken, in that it points the remote drive directory to /Megasync instead the correct / directory.  My configuration of the laptop is now compete.

Linux ext4 file systems.  Unlike HFS+ it handles file arbitration correctly.  Of course that could be the kernel it's self doing that, but either way, pointing several applications at the same set of files and having them run rough shod over them doesn't hang any of the programs or the system as a whole.

I has a happy.  Or at least not as unhappy as normal.

I used JFS back when I had ArchLinux on my main machine (it's a (sob) Win10 system now). Actually, it was a mix - ext3 for the boot partition, ReiserFS for my tmp partition (lots of little files on it), and JFS for everything else. Fast and reliable. Never lost a bit due to file system failure.

I woke up at about two-thirty this morning to a kitten on my chest. I dunno if he got in through the door or someone let him in and put him there, but it was cute. He sat there for a bit, laid down and slept for a bit, played around chasing my fingers under the sheets, and just generally being adorable.

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

I woke up at about two-thirty this morning to a kitten on my chest. I dunno if he got in through the door or someone let him in and put him there, but it was cute. He sat there for a bit, laid down and slept for a bit, played around chasing my fingers under the sheets, and just generally being adorable.

That act gets a bit less cute once they grow from kitten to cat. My wife has the battle scars to prove it. ^_^

4 hours ago, Zorua said:

A friend used to refer to feet under the blankets as "bed mice," since that's what his cats seemed to think they were.  This is the same couple who named their trio "Yakko," "Wakko," and "Dot," one of whom was later nicknamed "Mr. Snugglesupwithus."

I assume the door you're referring to was to your room and not your house; a completely unexpected kitten isn't always a good thing.

39 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

That act gets a bit less cute once they grow from kitten to cat. My wife has the battle scars to prove it. ^_^

Depends on the cat, really.

27 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

A friend used to refer to feet under the blankets as "bed mice," since that's what his cats seemed to think they were.  This is the same couple who named their trio "Yakko," "Wakko," and "Dot," one of whom was later nicknamed "Mr. Snugglesupwithus."

I assume the door you're referring to was to your room and not your house; a completely unexpected kitten isn't always a good thing.

But... but unexpected kittens are adorable!

7 minutes ago, Zorua said:

But... but unexpected kittens are adorable!

I know of at least two cases where vets took in a litter of stray kittens six weeks or younger, got the inevitable little scratches and playful nips, and then the kittens and/or mom got sick with neurologic signs, and it turned out all of the kittens had rabies.  Not to mention a stray finding its way into your house could have fleas, various viruses, roundworms/coccidia/giardia/tritrichomonas/etc, and might have no idea what a litterbox is and prefer your hand-crocheted afghan or your delicates drawer to bury things in.....

A kitten should be a planned acquisition, even if that means "I found it and caught it and took it to the vet and now it needs a home, I think I'll go buy a litterbox and kitten food!"  They need too much (including love) and cost too much to be given without warning or to be an unwanted obligation.

Okay, obligatory caution delivered, commence D'aaaawwwww!

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

A kitten should be a planned acquisition, even if that means "I found it and caught it and took it to the vet and now it needs a home, I think I'll go buy a litterbox and kitten food!"  They need too much (including love) and cost too much to be given without warning or to be an unwanted obligation.

Agreed.

Exception to the rule: a T-N-R kitten. That's what our cat is. My wife caught him, took him to get neutered and get his shots, and returned him. We kept up the human contact with him, since his mother hissed at him when he returned (he was well weaned already).

We didn't bring him inside until later, on a night that was EXTREMELY cold. He's gotten out twice since—once for a day through the back door, and much later, for just a few moments when we left the door to the garage open. I guess his experience of being back out in the feral world for that day taught him to get his fuzzy arse back in from the garage.

Actual good news from the Social Security Administration about my disability status!

We sent you a letter telling you that we were going to review your disability case. However, we do not need to review your case at this time. Therefore, we will not contact your doctor now. We will keep any information that you have given us.

We will contact you later if we need to review your case.

I can hardly believe it. I'm not going to have to put up with the hassle—not for now, anyway!

7 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Actual good news from the Social Security Administration about my disability status!

I can hardly believe it. I'm not going to have to put up with the hassle—not for now, anyway!

...and there was much rejoicing...

I passed the last stone of my current set.  I've been straining my pee for the last couple of days.  The last stone was about 1.5 to 2mm is size.  I had forgotten how painful that passing one over 1mm is size can be at the moment of passing.  The relief of pain after that makes it all worth while.

Aussie Rules Football regular season play is underway! I'm watching Carlton try to mount a comeback from a huge halftime deficit to Richmond. Not going so good at the moment. Carlton trails  64 - 93 halfway through the third quarter.

I learned how to do digital art in one night. Mostly by spending said night working on a colored version of my avater. Still have a lot to learn about digital art but I think I can pick it up pretty quickly 

My sister made reservations for the two of us for the four day Harry Potter package at Universal in Orlando for the end of May, including one extra day at the hotel so we can take a day off from the amusement parks and either go somewhere else or just hang around the pool if we're getting burnt out.  Her flight is booked to arrive Saturday night and leave Friday morning.

I finalized my plans too.  Since I still have those three unused days at Disney after the way my last trip was cut short, I'm staying Fri Sat Sun to use them up and flying back home Monday.  I put two three-day weekends in a row so I don't have to use up as many vacation days, or leave my boss working alone too many days.  I'm switching to a Disney hotel for the last three nights, so I can get the "Extra Magic Hours" perk that lets you either enter early or stay late for at least one park every day.

Well, it just so happens that Disney Animal Kingdom is opening a new section, based on Pandora from the movie Avatar, on the weekend I'll be Disneying, which just happens to fall on Memorial Day Weekend.  At first I was annoyed at how crowded it will likely be for the whole weekend thanks to that timing, but I've since learned that they'll be having extra-long "Extra Magic Hours," as in staying open until 1am or later!  So, I can get up early, go before the crowds build up too bad, and then go back to my hotel for a couple hours nap when it gets too hot, then head back out in the evening when it's cooling off.

Yes, I know all about the best laid plans of mice and men usually being about equal, and I'm sure there'll be rainstorms or other problems, but as long as there isn't a genuine hurricane, I think  I'll be able to get my money's worth.  :-)

If there is a hurricane, I vote it be named Pandora!

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

If there is a hurricane, I vote it be named Pandora!

Are we that far into the hurricane season?

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Are we that far into the hurricane season?

If I recall correctly, each Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1st, which means that one striking on Memorial Day weekend would have formed within the last two weeks before the new season begins.

1 minute ago, ijuin said:

If I recall correctly, each Atlantic hurricane season begins on June 1st, which means that one striking on Memorial Day weekend would have formed within the last two weeks before the new season begins.

For some reason, I thought it reset on Jan 01. 

The Hurricane "season" begins in June, but the Name lists follow the calendar year.  So any tropical storm or hurricane in 2017 will have the next name on the 2017 list.

National Hurricane Centre
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Upcoming Names
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/B2.html

Retired Names
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/B3.html