• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

Okular "Does The Right Thing" when a PDF file it is displaying disappears and returns.  This makes the current step of my project a lot easier to deal with.

Well, I am back from my trip for my mother's funeral.  While that itself was not the happiest thing in the world, there were some good times to be had and I can finally move on with my life.

My uncle, with dementia, told us stories about his secret work for the government.

On the way north, for about ten minutes while sitting on the tarmac at Newark, I got to see a ghostly silhouette of the Manhattan skyline through fog and rain.  I believe this is all the New York City I need for this particular lifetime.

Bought a pint of pure maple syrup and few pounds of assorted jerky produced at mom and pop operations near my hometown.

The Syrup includes directions for how to save it if the syrup develops mold.

• If mold should form on the top of the syrup, it can be restored to nearly its normal flavor by reheating to the boiling point and skimming.

The jerkies are made from venison, elk, buffalo (bison), pork, beef and hillbilly.  No, really.  I bought a pack of Hillbilly Beef Strips. The Peppered Elk strips are made with Elk and Pepper.  The Pork Barbecue strips are made with pork and barbecue seasonings.  The Maple Beef is made from beef and maple syrup.  So this must mean that the Hillbilly Beef is made with Beef and Hillbillies.  Right? 

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The jerkies are made from venison, elk, buffalo (bison), pork, beef and hillbilly.  No, really.  I bought a pack of Hillbilly Beef Strips. The Peppered Elk strips are made with Elk and Pepper.  The Pork Barbecue strips are made with pork and barbecue seasonings.  The Maple Beef is made from beef and maple syrup.  So this must mean that the Hillbilly Beef is made with Beef and Hillbillies.  Right? 

It reminds me of a container of boiled spam with a slight misprint. The large text on the top read, "Boiled Sam." I couldn't help but wonder if Sam hadn't strenously objected to that.

Congratulations!  And cute photo!

Seeing all those colors made me go look up what they're all supposed to mean.  I've now emailed the company in question about my confusion, seeing as they have a color for something they call "veterinary science" but do not list any color for Veterinary Medicine.....

4 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Congratulations!  And cute photo!

Seeing all those colors made me go look up what they're all supposed to mean.  I've now emailed the company in question about my confusion, seeing as they have a color for something they call "veterinary science" but do not list any color for Veterinary Medicine.....

Some of the color overlaps a bit weird. "Science Gold" for example, covers a rather wide range to things.

I am amused that all the "boring" things get "drab" as their color.

Be aware that some schools use variations on that list.  Or even assign colours without regard to what other schools say they should mean.  Ask your alma mater which colours they suggest.

University politics is a refuge for petty despots who think state legislatures are too civil.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

Getting a reply from the author of a RPG PDF that is obviously derived from the d20 SRD but has no OGL, and finding that the whole thing is OGC.  I has a happy!

Hmmm maybe I can get another TLA in that...

5 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Getting a reply from the author of a RPG PDF that is obviously derived from the d20 SRD but has no OGL, and finding that the whole thing is OGC.  I has a happy!

Hmmm maybe I can get another TLA in that...

Well, some people (not me) will be going WTF...

Just read the specs on the new tablet I ordered.  It takes up to 128G SD chip.  So, the 64G chip comes out of the laptop and the 32G chip goes in the laptop.

Microsoft Mice.  While a die hard Microsoft hater and not user for a long time, I've got to admit that their mice are about the best, assuming all you need/want are 2 buttons and a combo middle button and wheel.  Well shaped, at least for my hands, and the buttons have a nice positive click when pushed.  Much like a buckling spring keyboard, you know when you have pushed it.  Come next payday, I'm getting 2 more and replacing all the various mice on various machines.

20 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In the long history of Sci-Fi stories and movies about computers before the PC became real, did anyone predict the Mouse becoming the intuitive interface tool upon which we all absolutely depend?

Well touch screens were predicted.  And let's face it, more people use a touch screen than anything else for accessing a computer. Of course they call the computer a phone.

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well touch screens were predicted.  And let's face it, more people use a touch screen than anything else for accessing a computer. Of course they call the computer a phone.

I know when the iPads first came out, my first thought was "I wonder of Paramount's lawyers shifted their gaze onto Apple?" for how close they came to creating the iconic PADD from Star Trek (TNG-VOY), there were even LCARS themes made for them.

Well, considering that most shapes OTHER than a flat rectangle with a screen would seem pretty dumb given that we already use rectangular shapes for almost all of our display screens . . .

As of today, Kennedy Space Center can be upgrade from a class D downport to a Class C downport.  Now someone get on the stick about gravity control so Terra can be fully TL 9.

I just switched from 32-bit Firefox to 64-bit Firefox, with no apparent side effects, just by following the instructions posted on Mozilla's website. They actually got something right for a change!

Reading all of the positive reports of Takuma Sato's historic victory in the 101st running of the Indianapolis 500, including the audio of the Japanese language broadcasters losing their mind when Sato-san won. Great race.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Reading all of the positive reports of Takuma Sato's historic victory in the 101st running of the Indianapolis 500, including the audio of the Japanese language broadcasters losing their mind when Sato-san won. Great race.

The only kind of car racing I like to watch is Rally.  I figure if you have a track that is so varied that you need a co-driver/navigator to race in it, it's my kind of messed up. 

This may or may not be related to the massive amount of cider and ales I put away over a five day weekend in a Bed and Breakfast / Pub in the Yorkshire moors with a rally going on for that week.  Thre is an excellent chance that I was the only visiting adult that wasn't there for the race.  I ended up dropping my trip for the last of the week and watched the rest of the race stages.   That really was good times, not the semi-sarcastic "Good Times" that some people use.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The only kind of car racing I like to watch is Rally.  I figure if you have a track that is so varied that you need a co-driver/navigator to race in it, it's my kind of messed up. 

This may or may not be related to the massive amount of cider and ales I put away over a five day weekend in a Bed and Breakfast / Pub in the Yorkshire moors with a rally going on for that week.  Thre is an excellent chance that I was the only visiting adult that wasn't there for the race.  I ended up dropping my trip for the last of the week and watched the rest of the race stages.   That really was good times, not the semi-sarcastic "Good Times" that some people use.

I will grant you that rally is some seriously real racing. It does take a special kind of testicular fortitude to race rally, as to which Robert Kubica will attest. He went from racing Formula One to a successful rally career before nearly losing his life when he was impaled by a fence in a rally stage.

IndyCar has its own hazards, as James Hinchcliffe will tell you. He nearly bled to death after hitting the Indianapolis wall a few years ago in a practice run. The deaths of Paul Dana during a practice, and those of Dan Wheldon and Justin Wilson during races have spurred on major safety innovations, such as the SAFER (Steel And Foam Energy Reduction) barrier and better driver safety tubs like the Dallara DW-12 (named for Dan Wheldon) chassis which helped Scott Dixon avoid injury beyond a sore ankle after Sunday's incredible crash. It also most likely mitigated the aforementioned James Hinchcliffe's injuries to the point where they didn't kill him instantly, giving the Holmatro safety crew time to staunch his bleeding and get him to a hospital where surgeons could save his life.

I don't watch the races for crashes. A caution-free race is just as interesting to me as one which has several wrecks—sometimes moreso, especially in the small "bull ring" tracks like the 7/8th of a mile Iowa Speedway. No, I watch for the sleek rocket-ship-looking IndyCars themselves. I watch for the incredible speeds at which they run. I watch for the technology, even if it isn't as advanced as Formula One (I watch Formula One as well). I watch for the strategies, both on the track and in the pits. I watch to cheer on my favorite drivers and car owners. And now, I watch because it's a common love which my whole family shares.

Basically, I just enjoy the hell out of the rocketships. :)