• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

You picked a hell of a time to return, with the spammers hitting the forum and the subsequent forum upgrade (to keep out the spammers)!

Yeah, I noticed the place looking a little different as well as that thread Hack made.

While Dropbox isn't full version control, for a single developer it's good enough for rock and roll. Pay the extra to have them keep deleted files around "forever" instead of just 30 days. And Google? Notice that DropBox doesn't count the versions of the files they keep your file limit other than your latest version. Good idea. It's like they know that hard drives are freaking cheap nowadays.

I know something that's going to make Mrs. Prof very happy later today. Her shipment from "LEGENDS-INDYCAR ECOMMERCE" is scheduled to arrive. Translated, that means her shipment from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is going to arrive. Translated even further, her hand-signed Tony Kanaan Pennant and T-Shirt, both suitable for framing (mainly because she doesn't wear that shirt size), will arrive today.

Meanwhile, my own shipment of vintage 2017 Dark Grade maple syrup from Two Pigs Farm—the place run by Christopher Kimball of Cook's Illustrated fame (former, I believe) is also scheduled to arrive today. I need some biscuits, some Bay's English muffins, and (heresy, I know) some waffles—buttered with Plugra—for this to be enjoyed properly. :D

This is more interesting than happy making. I got a postcard with the following on the back:

If you own copyrights in musical compositions that Spotify made available for interactive
streaming and/or limited downloading, you could get benefits from a class action settlement.

It goes on to say I've received the postcard because I've been identified as a potential owner of a registered copyright in "one or more musical compositions," and says Spotify made them available without a license. It then re-directs me to a web site, which explains the class action and says the claim form will be available sometime in December. If I file, I get a share of the pie plus future royalties.

I'm guessing that this is for Grabbag, the theme song I wrote for Duke Nukem 3D. I hold full filed copyright on that sucker.

I just finished the writing of the Edge of Imperial Space Player's Handbook.  Doing my first real proof read and will be giving it to my editor "soon".  Because she wants it in dead tree form, I've got to get my laser printer first, but that's on track for right after I move, assuming no hidden costs in moving.

Now I've got to really crack down on doing the fiddly bits that go in the referee's guide. 

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Today's episode of The Whiteboard. In fact, the whole series. But the 2017-09-11 episode somehow summarises the entire world of TWB for me.

OK, I've sat on the fence long enough with this webcomic.  I'll go ahead and subscr....wait, no RSS feed?!?

I'll have to remember this after I go home from work?!?

The Pittsburg library is, in fact, rather nice.  Great building and a meh to OK collection.  Found on book that should be of help in Edge of Imperial Space,  "How to Build your own Spaceship".

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Reveal hidden contents

Actually I can empathise. A problem that you have gotten used to and found ways to work around is still a problem. And when it is suddenly gone, it can feel like a disproportionately huge relief just because you can finally ditch the workaround and stop worrying about it.

My pain management doctor. I've been getting my monthly hydrocodone prescriptions from CVS. You've probably heard the news about them limiting prescriptions to 7 days. Thankfully, my pain management doctor has an arrangement with a local mail order pharmacy where patients call them, they verify everything with the doctor's staff, and then the full month's prescription gets mailed to patients. He says they're Blue Cross approved.

Bye bye, CVS, at least for this. I hope my first fill goes smoothly.

4 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Thankfully, my pain management doctor has an arrangement with a local mail order pharmacy where patients call them, they verify everything with the doctor's staff, and then the full month's prescription gets mailed to patients.

The important word there is "local".  I strongly suspect that out of state clients are out of luck, based on my fun and games with changing script writers.

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The important word there is "local".  I strongly suspect that out of state clients are out of luck, based on my fun and games with changing script writers.

Probably, unfortunately. They're located in Plano, which is a large suburb on the north side of Dallas. I live in Garland, a "blue collar" suburb on the northeast side of Dallas.

This has to do with a different webcomic (David Willis's "Dumbing of Age") and his latest Kickstarter for volume six of his book series. He sent out a survey to confirm addresses and the like. I added a message to my response asking for a doodle of a character drawn in a certain way.

I got my book today, exactly as I''d requested! He even tossed in an extra character magnet.

For the first time in a long time, I has a serendipitous happy.

39 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This has to do with a different webcomic (David Willis's "Dumbing of Age") and his latest Kickstarter for volume six of his book series. He sent out a survey to confirm addresses and the like. I added a message to my response asking for a doodle of a character drawn in a certain way.

I got my book today, exactly as I''d requested! He even tossed in an extra character magnet.

For the first time in a long time, I has a serendipitous happy.

Good! Me, I ordered a pile of books with doodles in them. 3, 4, 5 and 6. I still haven't heard from him but I expect he still has a huge pile to deal with.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Good! Me, I ordered a pile of books with doodles in them. 3, 4, 5 and 6. I still haven't heard from him but I expect he still has a huge pile to deal with.

Yeah, he's superbusy right now, dealing with the Kickstarter orders. Wait until he's dealt with them. Only then will you see your order, most likely.

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

Yeah, he's superbusy right now, dealing with the Kickstarter orders. Wait until he's dealt with them. Only then will you see your order, most likely.

Well, my order was a Kickstarter order, so I guess he will be getting around to it in the next few weeks. :)

Another thing that makes me happy: I've renewed my hosting and domain registration until Mrs. Prof's birthday in 2019, and it cost about $100 less than I though it would! Of course, they tried to foist off the "business plan" on me at only $8 a month, but good lord, why would I need that much bandwidth? Besides, if I do, I can always upgrade later. No, I'll stick with the economy plan and pay $130 + change total for two years' damned good hosting plus domain registration.

(I use ICDSoft, if anyone's interested. Only had one glitch, and they were on it like white on a cue ball.)

I thought I was going to have to pay $240 or something like that. Now, my wallet has a happy.

Yesterday we went shopping for lunch meat, and in a store I noticed they had eggs in clear plastic cartons with a slight green tint. I thought about the contents of our refrigerator for a moment, and picked up a dozen.

Yep, we bought green eggs & ham.