• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My second order from Teavivre has just today arrived stateside, in Chicago! @CritterKeeper, you think you can grab a cattle prod and hurry 'em up there? ;)

Haven't done enough large animal to warrant my own cattle prod, but I may be able to dig up one of those tennis racket bug zapper things, I'm told they can really get someone's attention!

XFCE4 playing nice with other applications post the most current update.  Even have the right icon for Dropbox, the application most likely to make XFCE4 have issues.

Still giddy over the Houston Astros winning the World Series last night. Funny story: I talked to my son about him taking me to the doctor on Friday in Mrs. Prof's stead. I asked if he'd be watching the World Series game. He said he'd "probably crash after the 3rd inning." After the game, my phone rang—it was him, per Caller ID. Instead of "Hello," I answered, "So, did you crash out during the third inning?" (Note: the Astros scored all five runs in the first 2 innings.) His reply: "HELL NO!", followed by much laughter. We watched the award presentations on the phone together. Lots of giggling of happiness.

(I should also explain that the first pro baseball game I ever saw was in the Astrodome as a small child, with the Astros vs. someone. I was an Astros fan immediately. That carried down the generation to my son.)

Additional about my son: I took him to see a game in the Astrodome in its last year of operation. That just happened to also be the night that the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup. Mrs. Prof wasn't too interested in the game or the dome (i.e., been there, done that), so she went around trying to find out what the score of the Stars game was. When the Astros game was over, we rushed to our hotel and put on the Stars game. Overtime after overtime followed until Brett Hull's goal (IT WAS A GOOD GOAL) won the game for the Stars. Lots of whooping and hollering followed that as well. So, imagine that - being a kid, seeing the Eighth Wonder of the World, and having your team win the Stanley Cup, all in the same night. He must have been awed on many levels.

He also saw the Astros in their first year at their new stadium (formerly Enron, now Minute Maid Park). I made sure he bookended the Astros' homes. :D

51 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The Pittsburg public library has a 3d printer that they only charge for the cost of the media, or a dollar, which ever is more.  6 28mm figures is a $1.00

And for even more fun and games I got the .blend files for the figures, which mean I can dink with them on my machine.    This could be Yet Another Time Sink for me.

Less 'happy', more 'immensely relieved'.

A while ago, my laptop charger cord stopped working. You had to have it at exactly the right position for it to do anything, else it wouldn't work. So I put my files on a flash drive to use the family's main computer. Then the flash drive died a few days ago, leaving me with the worrying possibility of losing everything. The only hope was that I copied the files from my laptop instead of cut and pasted them.

Well, I just got a new laptop charger yesterday, and my stuff's still there. YAY! ...well, I mean I lost things I've done on the flash drive since the move, but at least I still have most of it.

Oh, and there's pizza in the fridge. Bonus!

11 hours ago, Zorua said:

Less 'happy', more 'immensely relieved'.

A while ago, my laptop charger cord stopped working. You had to have it at exactly the right position for it to do anything, else it wouldn't work. So I put my files on a flash drive to use the family's main computer. Then the flash drive died a few days ago, leaving me with the worrying possibility of losing everything. The only hope was that I copied the files from my laptop instead of cut and pasted them.

Well, I just got a new laptop charger yesterday, and my stuff's still there. YAY! ...well, I mean I lost things I've done on the flash drive since the move, but at least I still have most of it.

So now, make sure you have multiple copies on different devices.

You want good file-syncing software - preferably that is stated to handle three-way or n-way file-syncing - in two sets of circumstances: (1) you are backing up to a small device and/or only intend to keep the most current version of stuff on a device, or (2) updates to the stuff included in the operation might occur on any of two or more devices - there is no one copy of the stuff that is definitively always the most up-to-date version.

You want good backup software that keeps multiple versions if you have a source you can treat as definitively the current version (at least relative to the backups), and are copying it to a large-capacity storage device, and want to protect stuff from your own fat fingers and brain malfunctions. Which in my own experience are a greater danger than hardware failures.

You can do both - I file-sync between my phone, tablet, and computer, and also keep multi-version backups of the computer (including the stuff that is synced with the phone and tablet) on an external HD.

Bit of an early Black Friday present arrived today. Well, it had to arrive, since it was software, or it wouldn't have been retrievable. I got a couple of items from XLNAudio's Addictive Drums division for music composition. It was one kit and three sets of grooves. The kit is called "Boutique Mallets," a drumset that's been played with both drumsticks and with fuzzy mallets set on the end opposite of the drumstick part. The grooves are groups of editable MIDI filesets: one set designed to go with the drumset called "Mallet Grooves" and a pair of MIDI groove sets called "Funk Beats 1" and "Funk Beats 2" that give just what the titles describe. I've already been composing with them, with a bit of a time out for watching Formula 1 qualifying on DVD.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:52 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

Bit of an early Black Friday present arrived today. Well, it had to arrive, since it was software, or it wouldn't have been retrievable. I got a couple of items from XLNAudio's Addictive Drums division for music composition. It was one kit and three sets of grooves. The kit is called "Boutique Mallets," a drumset that's been played with both drumsticks and with fuzzy mallets set on the end opposite of the drumstick part. The grooves are groups of editable MIDI filesets: one set designed to go with the drumset called "Mallet Grooves" and a pair of MIDI groove sets called "Funk Beats 1" and "Funk Beats 2" that give just what the titles describe. I've already been composing with them, with a bit of a time out for watching Formula 1 qualifying on DVD.

Hooray!  Glad you're getting to do some composing.  :-D

One other thing that came with the XLNAudio purchase: I checked with them to make sure my setup was correct. I thought I was supposed to have version 2 of an electro-drum collection, when all I had was version one. An XLNAudio tech manually checked my account and found several items that I didn't have in my account. He updated everything, and I unexpectedly wound up with a bunch of shiny new drum kits and MIDI grooves at my command!

The aviary at work is having another baby boom.  The nest basket had been emitting louder and louder choruses of begging for food, and on Sunday a week ago the first new fledgeling emerged.  And then it took until this weekend for the rest of the clutch to emerge.  Last night we could see a total of four babies, who are almost as big as their parents and other relatives but much drabber colors, sitting on various perches.  One very smart baby, I think the first one, is sitting in one of the larger seed dishes, perfectly positioned to beg for food from every adult that comes by to feed themself.

These finches are not usually friendly to people.  They will fly away from capture or handling just as a wild bird would.  There is, however, a magical interval, only a day or so at most, when the baby birds have not yet learned to be afraid of humans.  If you can be there during this time, you can reach into the aviary and gently stroke them.  Maybe even, very carefully, get one to perch on your finger.

Yesterday, I pet the smallest, silver-colored baby, and got him/her to perch on my finger.  Today, I pet three of the four, and got one of them, a very grey green, to perch.  This is the closest most people can get to the scenes in Snow White where all the little woodland creatures gather around and alight on shoulders and heads.  They are just so adorable and innocent!

Tomorrow, I will likely try again, and they will almost certainly fly away at the slightest approach.  But for today, they are so very sweet and their feathers are so soft....

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

This is the closest most people can get to the scenes in Snow White where all the little woodland creatures gather around and alight on shoulders and heads.

Are you sure, Doc?

What about all the times I need to deal with the Dopeys, Grumpys, and Wicked Queens of the world?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What about all the times I need to deal with the Dopeys, Grumpys, and Wicked Queens of the world?

To be fair, Pharaoh, I feel that Hatshepsut's bad reputation was at the very least somewhat undeserved.

I know I revives the weather thread for this, but

Snow!

In Houston! This almost never happens!

It's been forever since I heard the crunch of snow under my feet. I missed this.