• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Give toys that need batteries, require assembly, or make noise to the children of adults you don't like.

The toy drum set is the go-to gift in this category. "But he looks like he's going to be so good with his hands, just like the next coming of Buddy Rich!"

The little wanker is going to be good with his hands, all right, but not for playing drums.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

give toys that need batteries, require assembly, or make noise to the children of adults you don't like.

I'm giving my youngest niece  a robot kit, which hit's all three.  Thing is David and April know it's coming and April, at least, is really happy about it.

23 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm giving my youngest niece  a robot kit, which hit's all three.  Thing is David and April know it's coming and April, at least, is really happy about it.

Cool.  I gave a co-worker's daughter three months of BitsBox, much less likely to annoy but hopefully still fun and educational.  If she really enjoys it, I might pay to extend the subscription myself, or I might see if her grandparents want to do it (they (or I) can afford it a lot better than she can).  I loved learning BASIC at that age, and hope she loves programming too; I just wish I could play with the programming lessons too!

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Microsoft Mouse?

I really thought Disney would have invented (or bought the rights to) the best of all things mouse.

Micro Mouse was Mickey's evil cousin. He was so evil that he escaped from the one episode Disney ever made and ran off to found his own evil empire. After secretly creating Microsoft, he said good enough and retired to the Caiman Isles to enjoy his massive wealth.

So about a week ago they finally reopened the Krogers near my house, and we're walking through for the first time. And I gotta say, I'm liking what they've done to the place. Higher ceilings, wider self-checkout lanes, nice paint job, new tiles... It just looks nicer. I approve.

My puppy eyes are pouting. The ending doesn't quite work. I got feedback from my son on the song (now titled "Beehive"), and he figured the ending was too short. I agree with that, and with about 90% of his other suggestions. Not to despair—at least I know where to go with my song.

Susan1 has caught, killed and not eaten another mouse. Left it in almost exactly the same place as the first one, almost dead centre of the bed room.

I've also just noticed that the spellchecker for my current install of Firefox seems to think I live in the UK. Meh.

Susan has a "cat cave" that she loves, however she seems to only want to hang out in it during daylight hours. Come night fall, she is either under the desk in the bed room or in the bed, with or with out me.

1 My cat, not the EGS character.

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Susan1 has caught, killed and not eaten another mouse.

1 My cat, not the EGS character.

With the current NP storyline, that footnote might change.

(Probably won't though.)

Big doings around the lab today, especially for Mrs. Prof.

We bought a car.

Not a brand new one, but relatively new. It's a 2014 Subaru Outback. We've always wanted a new generation Subaru. We had an old one for a short while back in the early 90s - old enough that the spare tire was on top of the engine. We replaced it soon after we got it. I hope we don't replace this one as quickly.

The deal we got was good. $20,000 base price, $21,7XX (memory fails me) after taxes, license, paperwork, and so on. Saved about $400 on the asking price.

We have credit union financing of 2.49%, I think. Mrs. Prof swung that part of the deal. She'll be the primary driver, using it to carry trapped cats to the pet adoption center for TNR surgery and returning them back to where they were captured. She's happy with the space in the car for those purposes.

The car has a continuously variable transmission. I warned Mrs. Prof about the CVT before the test drive. It was freaky: no shift points, not even when she gunned the engine! It was all she could talk about for a while.

Our son came with us to help drive our Honda Ridgeline back to our house. I rode with him so that Mrs. Prof could get a good feel for the Subaru in a mix of rush hour traffic. His incentive for driving me home was a car of his own. He's getting Mrs. Prof's 2008 Mazda 5 microvan. He'll be getting something 8 years newer than what he currently has, just like we've got a car 6 years newer than what we had.

This makes two "Christmas cars" that we've bought. We got the Ridgeline before Christmas of 2006, and we've bought the Outback after Christmas of 2017. If the Ridgeline ever gets replaced, I guess I know when it'll happen now. :D

On 30/12/2017 at 7:40 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

This makes two "Christmas cars" that we've bought.

Isn't this a good time of the year to do that in the US? I seem to remember something about a lot of new car sales going on around the end of the year, or maybe the beginning of the new year. Either way the used car dealerships ought to be wanting to make room for an influx of more stock so they should be lowering their prices, too.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Isn't this a good time of the year to do that in the US? I seem to remember something about a lot of new car sales going on around the end of the year, or maybe the beginning of the new year. Either way the used car dealerships ought to be wanting to make room for an influx of more stock so they should be lowering their prices, too.

In our cases, it's just been a matter of happenstance. No special sale or anything. This time, I did use some Mike Brewer "Wheeler Dealer" tactics on the salesman, plus I took advantage of my disability (a shameless move, I know, but a true one) to talk him down. It only took three trips to the coffee break room manager's office to get the deal done—he was just slow about everything else involving the transaction.

FINALLY!

A piece of music that I started working on at home in the late 90s is finished!

I think. :)  I've got the composition part of it finished, I hope. Mrs. Prof argued with me over the ending. It took a lot of rewrites and convincing to get one that she was happy with. Lots and lots of work on the ending. My son is going to give it a listen tonight when he gets home from grocery shopping, if he holds true to his word.

Next up comes the production and mastering stages if the song passes muster.

I'm hoping to put this on an album with several other songs and release it sometime around April.

My son was happy with the song! He had a couple of "fix it in the mix" suggestions, which I've already done. I also had a former co-worker from my Apogee/3D Realms days give it a thumbs up.

I moved on to the mixing/production stage yesterday and this morning. I wound up with two versions: one with just some fixes (see prior) and another with treatment from a "mastering plug-in" fashioned by a pro in the industry. Good lord, that second one slams the dynamics of the file so hard that it makes the waveform look like a brick. Weird thing is that it doesn't sound half bad. I desperately need feedback from my son's ears on this.

I have just burned my first test CD of my album! I'm not sure if the last track is finished or not, but it's close enough to do some Alpha testing.

Twelve tracks of music, so close to being ready to publish. I'm getting antsy looking for feedback!

We just passed our AAHA inspection with flying colors!  The American Animal Hospital Association has a vast collection of standards, and hospitals that are up to snuff can be Accredited.  Every three years they come and inspect us and make sure we're doing things right. We know everything they're going to look at before they come, but it's still a little nervous-making, and a relief to be done and approved and not have to worry about it for three more years. :-D