• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
18 hours ago, Zorua said:

Just got a new curved plasma TV. It's nice.

Can it fire plasma beams?

2 hours ago, Zorua said:

We're not made of money! Just yhe TV was pricey enough! Adding Decepticon Mode would've bankrupted us!

When you said "plasma", I thought you meant it ran on blood.

5 hours ago, Zorua said:

We're not made of money! Just yhe TV was pricey enough! Adding Decepticon Mode would've bankrupted us!

Fair enough, fair enough. I'd just heard good things about the new plasma-armed TVs. Apparently they are so powerful that when the news cover conflict zones, they can bring the battlefield right into your living room.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When you said "plasma", I thought you meant it ran on blood.

No no, that's the new Draculavision line from Philips. But according to all the reviews, it sucks.

The new TV lets you watch YouTube on it. I pulled up some cat videos. The kitten was very interested.

(I say kitten. She's over a year old; she's just small and adorable)

On 12/9/2017 at 9:36 AM, mlooney said:

I'm giving my youngest niece  a robot kit, which hit's all three.  Thing is David and April know it's coming and April, at least, is really happy about it.

This is actually a bit old, but my niece, Rosemary, built the robot before the new year and has started to play around with programming it.  Given that it's based on the Arduino micro controller, which is what all the cool kids in home brew hardware use nowdays, she should get a good education from it.

All in all I has a full happy about this.

5 hours ago, Zorua said:

The new TV lets you watch YouTube on it. I pulled up some cat videos. The kitten was very interested.

My TV does that!  My parents' TV I had to get them a Roku to be able to do YouTube and Amazon Prime and such on it.  Mom isn't so much interested in learning to use it now, so it's mostly there for when I visit.

5 hours ago, Zorua said:

(I say kitten. She's over a year old; she's just small and adorable)

Awww!  I had a cat, Sara Bella,  who was four pounds fully grown.  And when I spayed her, we discovered she had a big thick fat layer, so I cut back her food a little and she was a healthy weigt at three and a half pounds.  Talk about a perpetual kitten!

The Falcon Heavy just successfully launched a Tesla roadster into earth orbit, preparing for an eventual Sun-Mars orbit.  The high point was watching the two boosters do a synchronized landing at Cape Kennedy.  Unfortunately they lost video to the core and ended the stream before letting us know if it landed safely on its target barge.

14 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

The Falcon Heavy just successfully launched a Tesla roadster into earth orbit, preparing for an eventual Sun-Mars orbit.  The high point was watching the two boosters do a synchronized landing at Cape Kennedy.  Unfortunately they lost video to the core and ended the stream before letting us know if it landed safely on its target barge.

As odd as it is for the payload to have been a car, it was still fricken cool, and that they had a mannequin "Astronaut" in the drivers seat and "Don't Panic" on the dashboard was just brilliant.

21 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Can I get that booster as an aftermarket accessory for my Jeep Cherokee?

Falcon heavy launch cost is $90 million.  I'm sure Elon would take a pottery urn full of gold...

If this works out without any problems creeping in, I will be a very happy bunny afterward. Frontier FiOS is coming out today to make amends for some serious fark-ups, too numerous to mention, that they've made over the past three or four months. As part of our new plan, our internet speed is being increased from 50/50 to 150/150. This is going to require a rewire of our house, since our old wiring can't handle that bandwidth. It'll also require a new router.

The thought of what we can do with 150/150 speed is tantalizing, but there are so many places where things can go wrong. Please give Mrs. Prof and me your good luck wishes.

45 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If this works out without any problems creeping in, I will be a very happy bunny afterward. Frontier FiOS is coming out today to make amends for some serious fark-ups, too numerous to mention, that they've made over the past three or four months. As part of our new plan, our internet speed is being increased from 50/50 to 150/150. This is going to require a rewire of our house, since our old wiring can't handle that bandwidth. It'll also require a new router.

The thought of what we can do with 150/150 speed is tantalizing, but there are so many places where things can go wrong. Please give Mrs. Prof and me your good luck wishes.

Good! Hopefully this will work out, and good luck!

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

*grumblemuttergrumble* It's my bloody birthday and still it is that bollocking mathematical formula that gets all the well wishes. Weren't some lawmakers trying to change it into 4 for ease of use anyway?

Happy birthday Hack. ;)

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

*grumblemuttergrumble* It's my bloody birthday and still it is that bollocking mathematical formula that gets all the well wishes. Weren't some lawmakers trying to change it into 4 for ease of use anyway?

It was an interesting, if misguided, idea.  But have you ever seen politicians take something irrational and make it simpler, more useful, and more accurate?
They usually work in the other direction.

Maybe you're just not irrational enough to attract their interest?

Anyway, Happy Birthday.  Be as Irrational as you wish.

18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But have you ever seen politicians take something irrational and make it simpler, more useful, and more accurate?

Actually yes. It was the Easter of 1920. After the Treaty of Versailles, Denmark was offered all former Danish territory held by Germany all the way down to and including Hamburg back. But the very intelligent government we had at the time rejected this idea and instead proposed that a plebiscite be held where the locals were asked where they wanted to belong. This was done and a new border was drawn as mathematically close to the 50/50% division of whom preferred one side to the other as was possible. This proved remarkably successful in quelling unrest in the region and apart from that little incident in 1940 to 1945 it has been peaceful down there ever since.

Of course, no good deed goes unpunished so the outraged King Christian X who was drooling for an expansion of Danish territory reacted by sacking the government. This caused an immediate Constitutional crisis and the King quickly backpedaled when he realised that he 1) had no support whatsoever and 2) faced a potential communist revolution. Given what had happened just three years before in Russia, he felt it prudent to ask for a do-over. The plebiscite remained in force and the new border was drawn as planned.

I suppose you could call intelligent political action a once in a lifetime event, or maybe a once per century event. In the latter case I feel hopeful as we are now only two years away from the century mark of the plebiscite and Denmark seems overdue for another competent government.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:11 AM, The Old Hack said:

Happy birthday, Hack!  Have some pie!