• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

A minor kind-of-neat happy, but when I parked my car just now, the odometer was on exactly 96000.

Reading 'odometer' made me think of some sort of Star Trek gadget from Deep Space 9 that Quark might have come up with in order to try and spot Odo when he could be lurking in disguise. I am easily amused.

23 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Reading 'odometer' made me think of some sort of Star Trek gadget from Deep Space 9 that Quark might have come up with in order to try and spot Odo when he could be lurking in disguise. I am easily amused.

Do they use a different term over there for the thing that measures how many kilometers a car has traveled?  An Elastigirlmeter or a uryuometer or somesuch, perhaps?

On 27/03/2018 at 8:58 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Do they use a different term over there for the thing that measures how many kilometers a car has traveled?  An Elastigirlmeter or a uryuometer or somesuch, perhaps?

Milometer is the term I've usually heard. ‘Course, that's in England, not the continent.

Since 09 April, 1998, Mark Stanley has been teaching us that Aliens, Robots, Artificial Intelligences, and Petty Criminals are often better people than the Respectable Humans who are actually in charge.

Twenty Years of Freefall.

We have a kitty someone brought in last week, not a lot of history, either he saw her get hit by a car or he found her by the road and assumed she had been.  She had a pretty significant nystagmus (eyes flickering side to side) which can be a sign of head trauma, and she didn't seem to be able to use her legs properly (all four of them).  She was long-haired, but not matted, and did not have a microchip.  She did have fleas.  She also had developed mammary glands which could express a drop of milk, meaning she was nursing kittens.

I was almost ready to put her to sleep so she wouldn't suffer, but she still showed sign of some nerve connections, and cage rest and steroids aren't too expensive, so we decided to give her a chance.  For three days, mostly over the weekend (and being the doctor on duty, mostly by me), she had to be syringe fed and get SQ fulids.  She couldn't get into the litterbox, so she either had to have her bladder emptied out or she's end up with a wet cage to change.  She showed very small improvements, just enough to keep us hoping.

Well, this week, she started using the litterbox, eating tuna on her own, and eventually doing some wobbly walking.  She's probably feral, but once she's being held and petted she purrs up a storm, so she may be able to adapt to life as an indoor pet cat.  Aside from the lingering shadow of wondering whether her kittens were old enough to either make it on their own, or find help, she's turning into a great success story!

We've named her Victoria, after Jenna Coleman's latest role (one of the techs already has a Claire, so Clara would be confusing ;-).

15 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

For someone like me who has had to struggle with back pain for years, it is an unmitigated blessing.

If you lived closer I'd offer you my dad's lift recliner.  It's too big and too many memories, but I don't think it should be thrown out as it still works just fine and, as you said, can be quite the blessing for someone who needs it.  If any of my trips to visit were more than a long weekend, I'd offer to call charities near Mom to see if we can find someone who really needs it.

Hmm, wonder if Freecycle could help here?

Susan, my probably autistic cat, loves ham. I can eat any thing else and she ignores me. Break out some cold ham slices on crackers and she is all over me. Because I'm soft, I give her a few tiny bits and she is the happiest I've seen a cat in a while.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Susan, my probably autistic cat, loves ham. I can eat any thing else and she ignores me. Break out some cold ham slices on crackers and she is all over me. Because I'm soft, I give her a few tiny bits and she is the happiest I've seen a cat in a while.

Eh, I used to give Sir Patrick the Fuzzy-Mouse Slayer little teeny bits of turkey or chicken when I ate it.  As long as it is only teeny tiny little bits, it's not going to hurt a healthy kitty.  Just hope she never gets renal insufficiency or heart problems, where extra salt would be a problem....

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

Eh, I used to give Sir Patrick the Fuzzy-Mouse Slayer little teeny bits of turkey or chicken when I ate it.  As long as it is only teeny tiny little bits, it's not going to hurt a healthy kitty.  Just hope she never gets renal insufficiency or heart problems, where extra salt would be a problem....

Noted.  Total amount is less than a tea spoon's worth of ham, if that much.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Susan, my ham loving cat is rather confused by hot ham. I gave her a bit off my sandwich and she was like "What the hell is this?" when she bit into it.

The Japanese term for someone not being able to handle hot foods/drinks is "they have a cat's tongue." Prime example.

And in parts of the US, a food at excessively high temperature is sometimes described as "the flavor a dog don't like."

(Excessively spicy-hot is a different thing.)

20 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

(Excessively spicy-hot is a different thing.)

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is that even possible?

It's a matter of personal taste.

Understand that from the plant's point of view, the purpose of capsaicin, piperine, or allyl isothiocyanate (the "hot" components of peppers, peppercorns, and radishes*, respectively) is to make the various fruits undesirable to non-preferred consumers. Which, for capsaicin and piperine, are mammals. (Radishes, there are no preferred consumers - they hate everybody. But then, the allegedly-edible part of a radish is a root, not a fruit.) The seeds have a very low survival rate when they are chewed on by mammalian grinding teeth and then pass through a mammalian herbivore's digestive tract. Fruit-eating birds, on the other hand, will mostly pass the seeds through unharmed and then deposit them - possibly far away - in a nice little dollop of fertilizer.

* A whole radish doesn't actually contain any allyl isothiocyanate. It contains two other chemicals** kept in separate compartments in each cell. When the radish is cut, crushed, ground, chewed, or otherwise damaged, this separation breaks down and the two chemicals react with each other to produce the spicy chemical.

** Yes, chemicals. I know it's a bad word in some circles, and you should never eat anything with chemicals in it. But the only thing chemical-free is hard vacuum. Like maybe you might find in the void between galactic superclusters, and I wouldn't bet overly strongly on even that. Oh, also, every living organism on this planet is the result of 2-4 billion years of random genetic modification of at least four different causes - radiation, chemicals, viruses, and sexual reproduction - so the only non-GMO food is salt.

An item I donated to the Slay-A-Thon fundraiser for Make-A-Wish just sold for $425!

The purchaser probably does not want to know that I bought it at a Can't Stop The Serenity auction for, I think, about $60....

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hooray!  Did you get lights and a helmet?  I don't see any on your wish list.... ;-)

Still have those from the first bike.