• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

Spent last weekend at ExpectoCon, a "Wizards and Witches" convention for copyright/trademark reasons, set in an original School of Magic.  Let's just say the attendees are not restricted from choosing to dress in House Robes and referring to certain Warner Brothers properties.  There were even a few non-HP character costumes, like Harry Dresden or Granny Weatherwax.  It was in the same hotel as the last seven TeslaCons, so it felt like going home in a way.  I split a hotel room with a friend, always more fun than going alone, and I joined a trivia quiz team that I'd just met and we came in tied for second (I got a rather nice wand as a prize).  We did an Escape Room Meets Live Action Role-Playing, and Saturday night's "Crystal Ball" included a dragon leading a conga line and an Ent using a branch for a limbo.  Aside from very bad weather for both the drive there and the drive back, it was a blast!  And my usual day off was Monday, so I stayed one extra night and got to pack at my leisure the next morning, and then visit the Madison zoo for a few hours before heading home.

Oh yes, and now I just found a channel showing the first two episodes of Xena Warrior Princess, and I always like getting to see how a series started.  :-)

Got the rim. Removed other rim plus tire. Put the new rim on, with out tire just to check. It Works!! And there was much happy. Got a ride lined up to put the tire on the new rim, so I should be biking tomorrow or later today if it doesn't rain.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Got the rim. Removed other rim plus tire. Put the new rim on, with out tire just to check. It Works!! And there was much happy. Got a ride lined up to put the tire on the new rim, so I should be biking tomorrow or later today if it doesn't rain.

Rode the bike to Dillons and back. I know I'm getting a new seat for it as soon as payday rolls around, but other than that I've got no problems with the bike, as of right now anyway.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Rode the bike to Dillons and back. I know I'm getting a new seat for it as soon as payday rolls around, but other than that I've got no problems with the bike, as of right now anyway.

Hooray!  May you have many happy bike rides!  Get some exercise, get some fresh air and sunshine (make that vitamin D!), get out into the big wide world, what's not to like?  ;-)

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hooray!  May you have many happy bike rides!  Get some exercise, get some fresh air and sunshine (make that vitamin D!), get out into the big wide world, what's not to like?  ;-)

The whole point of it being electric is I don't need to "get some exercise"  :-)

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

The whole point of it being electric is I don't need to "get some exercise"  :-)

Sorry, I was assuming that there's still a bit of pedaling, steering, and/or leaning into curves.  I did say "some" exercise, not "a lot of" exercise as I would have if you were pedaling everywhere.  :-P

19 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Sorry, I was assuming that there's still a bit of pedaling, steering, and/or leaning into curves.  I did say "some" exercise, not "a lot of" exercise as I would have if you were pedaling everywhere.  :-P

On my first with power test run, I went about 3 miles in total.  I might, maybe, have peddled for 100 feet.  So, yeah, some exercise.  :-)   Full throttle is faster than I can get peddling, based on the how it acts when I do peddle.  It's like trying to peddle when you are going down a long hill.  

On the the gripping hand, the seat has issues, but until I get a new one on the 3rd, I'll just carry a wrench to I can tighten up the damn thing.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

On the the gripping hand, the seat has issues, but until I get a new one on the 3rd, I'll just carry a wrench to I can tighten up the damn thing.

Tighten up?  Is it the seat that's the problem, or the mechanism to hold the seat in place?

6 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Tighten up?  Is it the seat that's the problem, or the mechanism to hold the seat in place?

It's the part that attaches to the post.  So both.

Susan, my cat, has taken to sitting in the kitchen window over the sink.  This is where I often see mice.  With any luck I should have fewer mice in a day or two.

I'm with my mom at the Fox Valley Folk Music and Storytelling Festival!  My dad was really into folk music, and Mom and I picked it up from him.  (My sister, not so much.)  The three of us used to go every year, so this really brings him to mind, in a happy way.  :-D

Double retirement parties for Mrs. Prof yesterday. She had her official retirement lunch at a Mexican food place. Lots of people attended, including myself and my son (who drove me over there). After work, her contacts at a major international shipping company (that will remain nameless) took her out to a little German/Austrian food place near our neighborhood. Just three representatives, her, and I attended. She got some very nice gifts from the second group, and some very delicious food from the restaurant. Great dinner reminiscing, with her at the center and me just kind of guiding the reps through the best parts of the unfamiliar meal (case in point: not much sauerkraut was left at the end of the night). Mrs. Prof enjoyed the evening immensely.

I can't say exactly how long she's worked there, unfortunately. She (and I) started in the summer of 1982, but with seasonal employment, layoffs, and other interruptions to her service time, I can't calculate her exact time off the top of my head. Just let it be said that she worked there for a long time, and when the end of the month rolls around, she's going to reap the benefits.

Watching an old episode of NCIS: Los Angeles, of which I've caught fairly random episodes.  Hettie was reciting a character's background, and the hometown she gave was my hometown!  :-D

I'm sure to the writer it was probably just a dot on a map, but it's still fun to hear.  And maybe it's not just a dot on the map, maybe one of the writers is from there, or went to college there, or something.  The guy on MASH was a deliberate reference to the U of I, after all....

A few days ago, while working in the insane morning hours, I look up.
The rising Waning Crescent Moon through the trees looks far too much like the disembodied grin of the Cheshire Cat.

Am I just imagining things?

Is the Invisible Sky Cat really watching the world?

I've finally got another new piece of music! It's a theme song for a radio show over in the UK, called "The Cyber Den." (airs every Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. GMT) The song is up on Bandcamp and YouTube:

https://leejackson1.bandcamp.com/track/the-cyber-den-theme

You can download the file - for FREE if you want! - from the Bandcamp link.

Went to my first Comic Con today.

20181027_103426.jpg?width=281&height=469

That's Marina Sirtis (Counselor Trois), she was very nice.

Also:

Apparently they had to deal with a tribble infestation yesterday and were on patrol to make sure they were exterminated, otherwise they were very polite.

New doggie!  Mickey is eight or nine years old, and his original owners had to give him up because he had bladder stones and they couldn't afford the surgery to remove them.  He went from the Anti-Cruelty Society to another rescue, to Young At Heart, a place that specializes in older pets.  And thus to me!  He has to be on a prescription diet so he doesn't make more stones, but as a vet, I can at least get that at cost, so it's not as much of a burden as it would be for most other owners (that was a stumbling block to getting adopted at least a couple of times).  He's sweet, and energetic, and loves walks, and is very snuggly and loves everyone.  He is a bit shy of other dogs, but not in a biting aggressive way, just a moving-away way; and now that he's settled in he tends to bark at new people or opening doors a bit, but not to a point it's a problem.  I feel very, very lucky to have gotten such a great dog!

(He's also one of the reasons I haven't been on as much for a bit, but we're settling into a routine now and despite going on more walks, which also makes me happy, I think I'll be keeping up with the boards better now!)

On 11/19/2018 at 8:07 AM, mlooney said:

My copy of "Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage" has shipped.

And it's here.  318 pages of dungeon goodness.  I has a happy.

My album is up on Bandcamp!

Calibrations is available at https://leejackson1.bandcamp.com/album/calibrations . It contains the entire soundtrack to “Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour.” It also contains a track included with the game but not used, plus three new songs exclusive to the album. There’s also an interview with yours truly conducted by Jake “The Voice” Parr of The Cyber Den radio show, and a reading of liner notes and special thanks by Jake and myself.

There are big advantages to buying Calibrations at Bandcamp versus Amazon or CD Baby. You can download the album tracks in lossless WAV, AIFF, or FLAC formats if you want. Also, you’ll get bonus content, including high-resolution pictures of the cover, back, liner notes, and CD art, plus a bonus track of The Cyber Den Theme. All of this, including the bonus content, costs just $10.

If you don't already have a copy, please consider buying one. Thank you!