• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

The laptop has left Lincoln, Nebraska (where it was customized) and passed through Kansas City on its way to the D/FW area. It should be here by Monday.

I'm finding myself checking FedEx every couple of hours for updates. Wonderful anticipation/anxiety. :lol:

47 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Turning it on isn't the problem, it's when you start changing things around to suit yourself that you run into problems. ;-)

Unfortunately, that's part of the first firing up of the system. Windows 10 (and whatever other registration software XOTIC PC put on it) will ask for WiFi keys, user accounts, and all kinds of other crap that I'm not quite braced for yet. At least I've got the thing sitting next to my 2009 model Win7Pro HP, ready to go when I get up the nerve to hit the Big Red Button.

Nice problem to have, compared to what I had Monday. :D

Today's Girl Genius. Damn, Tedd would be so jelly! :)

Huh.. you know, even though it's steampunky, the way the helmet looks, almost looks like Tedd's original hairstyle.

Interesting.

I am typing this on the new laptop. The keyboard is slightly different where the right-side Shift, Ctrl, arrow, and 0 keys are. Gotta get used to that. Also got to get used to the screen resolution - 1920x1080 on a 15.3" screen results in smaller text than the 1366x768 from my old system, but I can see more of a web page now. Not sure if I'm going to scale the text or leave it as is.

Stardock Fences and Menu10 are installed. They make Windows 10 a little easier to navigate, as does Total Commander (now installed and, for the most part, configured).

The "clean install" option was definitely worth it—I love being able to get to the business of configuration without navigating crapware land mines.

Speed-wise, it's a big difference. Disk ops are MUCH faster due to the NVMe SSD, and the boost from the i7-6700HQ CPU is noticeable. It also seems to run a lot cooler than the old system—I don't have to turn on the noisy fans on my Zalman laptop cooler.

Happiness has been attained for now. We'll see if it remains once I start transferring documents, music, videos, etc. ;)

Someone I follow on twitter asked what order she should watch the Star Wars films in. Pretty much every response was "Machete order, 4,5,2,3,6 skip 1 entirely". Someone also added that she should get the theatrical releases of 4-6 as well. All I could think about was the Duel of the Discs storyline. :D

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Other than the old LP-sized laser discs, *is* there a way to watch the theatrical releases of 4-6?

Not legally. The 2006 special edition DVDs included the original laserdisc versions, but they transferred over to DVD badly, a lot of artifacting and glitching, plus they weren't in widescreen format, so you wouldn't want to watch those anyway.

The fact that I will be joining the bunny hatch if full snark mode as soon as SisterSome story arc with 3 in the title starts. Unless he does something really cool in "Q&A:Answer Harder" or in NP. Snarking on non canon, unless it supports the OTT isn't really my thing and snarking on Q&A seems counter productive. In my CFT / time not spent on project [redacted] I may go find all the canon references for the OT14. That ought to be fun.

All my bills paid, to include load from my brother, and $300 pet deposit, on time, replacement tablet ordered and I have money left over.  For once it looks like my finances aren't going to be a major issue, given that spent about $540 this month on a one off payments.  Woot!

There's a bar downtown which has been holding Game of Thrones viewing parties, hosted by a local cosplay group, and somehow have managed to escape HBO's notice and the dreaded cease-and-desist orders they were so aggressive with last year.  Yesterday, not only did I have a fun time watching with an enthusiastic crowd, but I found a parking space on the street less than a block away, meaning I got to pay a little over $2 instead of the $15 I've sometimes ended up needing to pay at a garage.  Last week I got third place in the pre-show trivia contest, and this week I felt I did pretty well even though I didn't place officially.  The only damper on my enjoyment is the knowledge that there are now only three more episodes left in the season, and I'll likely miss number 9 in two weeks because I'll be out of town visiting my folks.

Have watched Warcraft and honestly enjoyed it, it's definitely a movie that fans of the franchise would get, if you've never played a Warcraft game or read any of the lore behind it. You might feel like it rushes you through the first part without really introducing people, aside from Khadgar, Garona and Lothar that is you do get some more out of them as the movie progresses. When they bring in Medivh, they basically say "he's the guardian", but only fans would know what that means, and while the movie doesn't shot for shot follow the existing lore, the changes were actually pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things, all the main plot points were left largely intact. Visually it was amazing, I watch it in IMAX 3D and while the glasses are awkward with having to wear them over glasses, as long as I didn't tilt my head a certain way I didn't feel nauseous.  It also left it wide open for a sequel which considering the lore, would have to happen as this movie basically covered "The First War", we still have "The Second War" which if Blizzard and Legendary stick with the formula they had with this movie, the second should be just as good, and we'll get to see more Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes and AOEs. :)

36 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

i actually have a job lined up for the first time in almost a year.

Congratulations! I remember being on the job search for half a year before finding anything, and you were searching for nearly a year? I feel for you.

11 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Congratulations! I remember being on the job search for half a year before finding anything, and you were searching for nearly a year? I feel for you.

Left my last job mainly because it was making me physically ill (stomach problems and infrequent diarrhea, still don't know the exact cause but it started shortly after i was hired and stopped less than a month after i left the scrap yard.) and figured, "the job hunt has never taken me more than three months before, and i have enough saved to last five..."

...that was mid july 2015. If i wasn't living with my dad i would have been on the street by December.

Technically i had a job about a month ago, but it lasted less than a week due to being outdoors, 12 hour shifts, 25-30*c, and i'm 128kg. NOT a good mix.