• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Just a response to the implication that a “chicken cannon” is an odd or silly thing to be using. What else would one use for such purposes?

Chickens seem ideal. A bit on the largish side of the range of birds, they should adequately simulate striking an albatross, or buzzard, or an eagle. You could use a pigeon, but they are more toward the middlin' part of the scale. It wouldn't be as thorough a test.

Birds are rather lightly constructed, their bones are more of an open framework, less solid than land dwelling animals. Substituting rats and groundhogs would bias the test negative.

Chickens, while not as prolific as said rodents, are prolific enough, are widely raised, and can be easily obtained.

It is possible something else, say a carp, might have similar characteristics as a chicken; I doubt anyone has seriously looked in to this, so there's an opportunity. That said, carp seem to me to be more difficult to obtain and more expensive, and we already know the chickens work.

Which leaves, a synthetic substitute. Maybe ballistics gel with embedded fibers and plastic 'bones'. PETA would be happy. I see problems with validating the artificial chicken object as being representative, and costing quite a bit more. Manufacturing quality might become a factor that has to be accounted for. Still, it seems doable. Except, the usage rate is low enough that I don't see a viable business model for the manufacturer, so you probably need to dedicate a technician to make them in house. At a guess, the study to specify the object has never been done, because chickens are already available, and no one is going to invest in the development.

I wonder if they use the chicken afterward? I'm guessing no, it probably has bits of canopy plastic, and they may need to keep the remains as reference, and so refreeze it.

Definitely not a silly thing, or they built it. It is after all a useful device. But it is odd; the first time you hear about it, you think your leg is being pulled. Few people have ever seen one.

Thanks for asking, I enjoyed the thought exercise; as appropriate to the thread, it made me happy.

22 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Birds are rather lightly constructed, their bones are more of an open framework, less solid than land dwelling animals. Substituting rats and groundhogs would bias the test negative.

Although I did hear a tale, apparently true, of an A-10 taking a rabbit strike to the lower engine cowling.

The pilot's CO and the head mechanic had a LOT of fun razz him about it ("just how low were you flying?"), in front of the whole squad, before revealing that he had also taken a bird strike, apparently a hawk, to the upper cowling of the same engine.

4 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Although I did hear a tale, apparently true, of an A-10 taking a rabbit strike to the lower engine cowling.

The pilot's CO and the head mechanic had a LOT of fun razz him about it ("just how low were you flying?"), in front of the whole squad, before revealing that he had also taken a bird strike, apparently a hawk, to the upper cowling of the same engine.

So the rabbit was potentially airborne at the time. :lol:

Jet engines have an awful lot of suction at the front end. If they are low, like many fighters, they can Hoover up more than just bunnies, including rocks and stray bolts. Cleaning the flight line of debris is critical. (A-10 has high up engines, I don't think it would have this particular problem.)

I rarely needed to be around an active flight line, but I did participate in a radio test on an F-16. We had to take a safety course, one key component of which was, "If the engine is running, do not approach."

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Please remember that a "chicken cannon" is a very different concept than "horse artillery"

That is one of those things that an automatic language translator would have problems with.

I got my new chair assembled.  It was not as a big of a pain in the ass as I recall the last one being.  Now I I'll find out if the garbage people will take the old one if I put it next to the garbage car on the curb.  I hope so.

Looking at the two chair, I think one of the reasons this one was easier to assembled is due to the fact that the back is shorter making it less unwieldy

The chair came with 3 spare screws, one of each length , As I was putting the card with the hardware away I noticed that I didn't put the washers on the screws. Sigh. Remove the screws one at a time and put the washers on. LFMF.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Olympic Winter Games are resuming and The Gods of Curling show no sign of returning to Moperville

" .... They treat curling just like it's a real sport, ...."

55 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I haven't thought about YouTube Channel designs before, so I don't have any detailed critique. I can however say it looks good (and it does).

Got to say the same thing.  I noticed that you are over 1K subscribers, which in theory means YouTube can monetize your page.  Any thing about that?

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Got to say the same thing.  I noticed that you are over 1K subscribers, which in theory means YouTube can monetize your page.  Any thing about that?

I have enough subscribers, but not enough viewing minutes on my pages. Can't monetize yet.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I have enough subscribers, but not enough viewing minutes on my pages. Can't monetize yet.

Well that sucks.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this one. I have just returned from surviving what is probably my last IndyCar race at the Texas Motor Speedway. I say last because, just as many Hollywood stars have said in action movies, "I'm getting too old for this shiat." I thoroughly enjoyed the race, but it was probably not the best activity to attend while wearing a neck brace and walking assisted by an aluminum rolling walker. I left in pain, sunburned despite my best efforts, and nearly dehydrated. My wife's assistance was required in getting back to the car.

The thing is, I doubt I'm going to be much better off next year. I should probably wish the track and the activity in person a fond farewell and resign myself to watching it on NBC and streaming it on Peacock from now on. It's been a good run while it lasted, TMS and IndyCar. I'll miss you both.

Other than the green tint, your neck brace looks a lot like the one my father had to wear after he crashed his motorcycle last summer (he's fine now).

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Other than the green tint, your neck brace looks a lot like the one my father had to wear after he crashed his motorcycle last summer (he's fine now).

I hope he didn't have the accompanying Frankenstein neck scar.

Not on his neck; the brace was enough to treat his neck injury. He did also break his wrist, though, and they needed to do surgery on that, so he has quite the scar there.

The rain is over, my headache seems to have passed, birds are singing, Explorer is being well behaved, all is right in the world. Please, life, don't harsh my mellow.

One of the best things to come out of public lectures is getting memes from the audience. This is still my absolute favorite outcome of describing how 'wands' in early Irish literature often work by inscribing a spell on a stick and then 'detonating' it by hitting someone with it

https://twitter.com/emm3ttaylor/status/1541361447099400192?s=21&t=vE_0eg_9E2kAc4y03BK8dg

FWQEBZLXwAAubES.png