• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

I finally decided What the hell? and ordered an iPad Pro WiFi from the Apple site, since I couldn't find one of the sort I wanted for sale around here.  I look forward to having a fully functioning tablet for the first time in far, far too long.  There's no good reason why I didn't do this sooner, just my usual inertia.  Next on the list, replacing my cell that loses the signal if it gets warm, as in, held in my hand for more than a few minutes.

(Bets on how long that will take are welcome as long as I get ten percent....)

16 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I finally decided What the hell? and ordered an iPad Pro WiFi from the Apple site, since I couldn't find one of the sort I wanted for sale around here.  I look forward to having a fully functioning tablet for the first time in far, far too long.  There's no good reason why I didn't do this sooner, just my usual inertia.  Next on the list, replacing my cell that loses the signal if it gets warm, as in, held in my hand for more than a few minutes.

(Bets on how long that will take are welcome as long as I get ten percent....)

Can we use Quatloos?

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Can we use Quatloos?

Of course!  Standard currency for the Forums.  Whoever starts up a new betting thread gets to decide how many everyone starts with and whether there's any sort of periodic income to help people who go bust get back in the game.  :-)

On 1/7/2017 at 0:33 AM, mlooney said:

The pulled muscle aches I had have gone away or my drugs are lasting way longer than normal.  Either way I has a happy.

Is unpossible, you never has a happy. ;p

My new iPad arrived today!  I haven't turned it on yet, I want to back up this one one last time, that way I can make sure I can transfer everything successfully.  It will be nice to have four speakers and a working volume button, not to mention an un-cracked screen.  :-D

Finally got the lap top and I am in the middle of installing Ubuntu on it.  Actually past the point of no return, I've redone the disk partitions nuking Window 10 right the frack off the machine.  I has a happy, and will keep having a happy unless the universe decides to mess with me.

Or Cox "You expect to down load how much?" Cable pulls a network crash and burn on me.

[edit 1] I really should remember more often than  on new to me hardware1, I am normally NOT smarter than the automatic install system.  Good thing about XFCE4 installs is they really don't take that much time.

1After I have dinked around with it for a while I can do better than the push and go installs, but on a hardware platform for me?  Just use the defaults.

Well maybe not  happy per se but it does feel satisfying having upgraded all the laptops to 8 GB of RAM and seen an increase in responsiveness.

On 1/12/2017 at 4:23 PM, mlooney said:

Or Cox "You expect to down load how much?" Cable pulls a network crash and burn on me.

IMO it's no coincidence their name sounds like a reference to a certain aspect of male anatomy.

2 hours ago, PSadlon said:

IMO it's no coincidence their name sounds like a reference to a certain aspect of male anatomy.

No question there.

On my laptop, I have a few of notes

1. XFCE4 and Gnome used to play nice.  Not so with the current version of  Gnome
  2. By all thing lawful good, what did they do to Gnome?  I'd rather use Windows 10
  3. KD4 has gotten a lot better.  Decided on it as my primary windows manager.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

No question there.

On my laptop, I have a few of notes

1. XFCE4 and Gnome used to play nice.  Not so with the current version of  Gnome
  2. By all thing lawful good, what did they do to Gnome?  I'd rather use Windows 10
  3. KD4 has gotten a lot better.  Decided on it as my primary windows manager.

Yeah while I was on the MacAddict / Mac|Life forums, I heard enough horror stories about Cox, Comcast and Charter. Comcast is every bit as bad as rumored though Charter seems to be behaving itself since the merged with Brighthouse and became Spectrum, even end a couple of Brighthouse's shadier policies,.

I personally like Cinnamon though Xfce wasn't too bad.

I bought some Orlando travel guides.  My first trip there, for the conference, is coming closer and closer, and after that I have the one in May with my sister, so I figured it's worth researching a bit more.  I'm much more prone to Disney-ing than she is, so I'll probably try to get it out of my system now, and save the Harry Potter stuff for a big splurge with her.  I just have to decide what the best deal is.  Ah, what a good dilemma to have to face!

My local fish and chip shop has changed their soft drink fridge to one that opens from the other side. The old one was right against the wall and you had to open the door wide just to get to the drinks.

On ‎01‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:42 AM, CritterKeeper said:

I bought some Orlando travel guides

Just remember that in Orlando, East I-4 is actually northbound and West I-4 is southbound.

Apparently a lot of tourists can not read maps because this is one complaint I hear from people who went into Orlando for the first time.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Just remember that in Orlando, East I-4 is actually northbound and West I-4 is southbound.

Why am I not surprised about this?  Was "Florida Man" responsible for the naming of that section of highway?

The original plan for numbering the interstates was that two-digit numbers would be even for east-west routes and odd for north-south routes, with lower numbers being further south or west.

Of course, that's east-west or north-south for the overall route, not necessarily for any given short segment of it. I know, offhand, of places where I-5 is due east-west and I-10 is due north-south.

And as the country grew and some diagonal routes got built... a diagonal route has to either change numbers when it crosses another route in the same primary direction, or be out of place sometimes.

I-69 exists, at present, in segments from the Canadian border near Detroit, to Houston (and maybe further south). According to the original numbering plan, it is correctly placed only for the segments between the Canadian border and Indianapolis. Which is less than a quarter of the distance between its extreme ends. South of Indianapolis, there are lower-numbered north-south freeways further east.

(Three-digit numbers... if the first digit is even it's a loop, connecting to a two-digit freeway at both ends; if odd, it's a spur, connecting at only one end. However if the road in question got extended, either of these might not be true any more.)

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Apparently a lot of tourists can not read maps because this is one complaint I hear from people who went into Orlando for the first time.

Eh, same thing around here with I-94.  In my area, it's north-south, with the northbound being labeled West and the southbound labeled East.  So you're backwards to how we do it.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Eh, same thing around here with I-94.  In my area, it's north-south, with the northbound being labeled West and the southbound labeled East.  So you're backwards to how we do it.

Same thing with I-10 near the TX-NM state line. The fun thing is that this means Frontage Road East is on the west side of the freeway, while Frontage Road West is on the east side.

Mrs. Prof was not always the genius that she is today. She grew up in Victoria, TX, a town with no Interstate highways. I learned early on in our relationship that she thought "Frontage Road" was the real name of a street.

I had to set her straight on that.

Ever since, we laugh at Frontage Road exit signs, forever known as "the world's longest road."

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I do NOT accept the job of looking up every "Frontage Road" in the US, let alone the world, and adding up their length...

I suspect that a very weird Google Maps request might give this for you.  Not going to try this however.