• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

On 11/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, mlooney said:

Don't know and it's my front door.

It's weird that they stuck the central air outside parts out front. Is that a thing in your area?

Yeah, $500 for your very own is good.  I've been pleased that both the hospital and the clinic found that they overcharged me and sent checks.  Granted they only totaled $70 but that beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

For those people that play table top wargames and want to take a stroll down the past Tractics is back in print. This was pretty much the last thing that Gygax had a part in writing before D&D took over his life.

On Amazon

Two things:

1. I am having much fun playing with my Infinite Brass and Infinite Woodwind libraries by Aaron Venture for the very first time. I laid down almost $700 to purchase them back in July of 2020 and never really had an opportunity to use them until now. They make me very happy.
  2. I am also having much fun playing around with my TEControl USB MIDI Breath Controller in conjunction with the Infinite Brass/Woodwind libraries. There's a bit of a learning curve that's almost counterintuitive, given my history as a bassoon player and seeing how much breath control is needed to play that instrument, but I'm starting to get the hang of it by making some really realistic-sounding brass parts (I'll start in on the woodwinds next).

A couple of bright spots. I needed them badly.

24 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If I had a bagpipe sample suite, yes. I don't have a bagpipe sample suite.

And why not?  Pipes are cool.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Pipes are also expensive, and I don't have a specific application for them. Hence my lack of ownership.

I tell you there is an vast untapped market for computer bag pipes.  OK, maybe not.

Since bagpipes evolved and were used in a very large area including most of Europe and parts of western Asia - Syria, for example - there are MANY varieties. Some of them have a very sweet sound.

Unfortunately, the variety that everyone thinks of first (and usually stop there) - the Scots great pipe - is not among them.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Unfortunately, the variety that everyone thinks of first (and usually stop there) - the Scots great pipe - is not among them.

I happen to like great pipes.  

13 hours ago, ijuin said:

Scottish great pipes are one of those instruments that can sound beautiful when expertly played, but horrible in unskilled hands.

True, but that could be said of most instruments. Just pipes happen to be louder than most.

The sound of Scottish pipes reminds me of an extremely nasal human singer

If the singer is otherwise proficient, and if you like the song, the nasal tone is just a part of the style

If there is anything else about the performance you don't like, the nasal sound amplifies what ever it is you dislike

- - - - 

Traditional pipe organs often can give a fair approximation of Great Pipes

If the organist is Scottish, a way will be found to do this for Amazing Grace

Is Pipe Organ an option in your system?

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Traditional pipe organs often can give a fair approximation of Great Pipes

If the organist is Scottish, a way will be found to do this for Amazing Grace

Is Pipe Organ an option in your system?

Pipe Organ is an option in any General MIDI system, although I've never tried to recreate the Scottish Great Pipes using it. I might give it a whirl the next time I get a spare moment.