• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

After 3 days I've finally finished writing a cover for Jeremy Soule's most famous piece of music BY EAR:

asads_zpst6h86yaa.png

yay

And yes I know that the first two measures are REALLY rough and I will eventually make a second version that fixes most of the iffy parts but hey it's something :D

I just spent half an hour or so playing with the various tablets at Best Buy, trying to decide what kind to get.  To test their speakers, I opened up YouTube and searched for Murray Gold's "I Am the Doctor," which has a grear range if highs and lows and different volumes of music.  I was especially impressed with the speakers on the iPad Pro (the little one, not the big one), which sounded the best both sound quality and volume.  I happened to be wearing a T-shirt of the Doctor taking a selfie (all of him together), and one employee commented in passing, "Guess I don't have to ask if you're a fan!"

Still no decision about Apple vs Android vs Windows, but it was fun!

I can finally talk about the new music I wrote! Well, I can talk about it a little bit. That top secret music project I was working on is a group of new songs for the Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour release. It's mentioned on http://dukenukem.com (scroll down and you'll see it - the web site is kind of borked at the moment). The game comes out October 11th. I wrote songs for an entire new episode of the original game—digital this time, not just MIDI.

No, I can't post samples yet. Don't have authorization from Gearbox. I hope you'll like the songs when the game is released, though! :D

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I can finally talk about the new music I wrote! Well, I can talk about it a little bit. That top secret music project I was working on is a group of new songs for the Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour release. It's mentioned on http://dukenukem.com (scroll down and you'll see it - the web site is kind of borked at the moment). The game comes out October 11th. I wrote songs for an entire new episode of the original game—digital this time, not just MIDI.

No, I can't post samples yet. Don't have authorization from Gearbox. I hope you'll like the songs when the game is released, though! :D

AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing the game and hearing the songs! :)

Flea traps.  They work.  They really do "pull them in from 30 feet away"  First nigh in a while that I wasn't fighting fleas most of the night.  Must be 150 in the trap now.  Getting one for the living area right now.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Flea traps.  They work.  They really do "pull them in from 30 feet away"  First nigh in a while that I wasn't fighting fleas most of the night.  Must be 150 in the trap now.  Getting one for the living area right now.

Cool!  May I ask what brand and where you got them from?

30 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Cool!  May I ask what brand and where you got them from?

You may.

Victor "Ultimate Flea Trap"

Amazon, Under $20

Disadvantage, really only work in dark room, but I need to start turning off my light at night any way.  Even if it is an LED light that pulls like 3 watts.

Non standard fonts on a web page.  Like this one.  If I leave "down load fonts" turned on, a lot of pages move as slow as a slow thing.  If I turn it off, pages speed up, this forum looks like poop.  On a real OS I have per site control of that, but not with Android. 

Snarl, bark, growl, etc.

Opps. Supposed to go in "Things That Are Just Annoying". My bad. Pretend you read it there.

Edited by mlooney
Opps. Wrong thread.

My cardiologist says my PVCs are under control, thanks to the medicines I'm taking for them (lisinopril and clorazepate). Now, if I could just get someone to explain why I've been getting light-headed so often when I stand up lately ...

58 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My cardiologist says my PVCs are under control, thanks to the medicines I'm taking for them (lisinopril and clorazepate). Now, if I could just get someone to explain why I've been getting light-headed so often when I stand up lately ...

Lisinopril is a blood pressure medication.  When you stand up quickly, your body has to adjust the blood flow to your head to accomodate the new position.  There's a moment of lower blood pressure to your brain before the adjustment is made.  If you're starting with a lower blood pressure, there's not as far to go for the change to wind up dropping it low enough to affect your brain momentarily before the adjustment is made.

And what makes me happy enough to come to this thread is that, after a long dry spell of checking for updates with no joy, There are now three new episodes of Sunstone up!

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Lisinopril is a blood pressure medication.  When you stand up quickly, your body has to adjust the blood flow to your head to accomodate the new position.  There's a moment of lower blood pressure to your brain before the adjustment is made.  If you're starting with a lower blood pressure, there's not as far to go for the change to wind up dropping it low enough to affect your brain momentarily before the adjustment is made.

This is true. However, I'm only taking 5mg of the stuff. The doctor said it shouldn't be affecting me that much (he has patients who are on 80mg of it). He said it could be an interaction, but I'm on so many other medications that it's impossible to tell what might be interacting with what. The nurse wondered if my blood sugar might be getting low. I'm definitely in the "who knows?" camp on it now.

In other news, I'm adding vitamin E + selenium to my mix. I'm hoping it'll help me get rid of the "no energy" spells I get at least once a week.

Back on topic (things that make you happy), I'm finally in a Scribophile Ubergroup critique-swap team that is fully focused on writing science fiction. At last, I'm working with people who won't give me the "I don't understand this, but it's not my genre anyway so whatever" critiques that drove me so crazy in other teams.

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm only taking 5mg of the stuff {Lisinopril}. The doctor said it shouldn't be affecting me that much (he has patients who are on 80mg of it). He said it could be an interaction, but I'm on so many other medications that it's impossible to tell what might be interacting with what.

Actually, there are some really useful resources on that subject. Such as this one.

Your pharmacist is another good resource. Knowing about drug interactions is part of their job.

My lady had a weird reaction to that particular drug, or maybe a weird interaction with something else she was taking. As stated, it's a blood pressure medicine, and that's what she was taking it for... and two days after she started taking it, her blood pressure shot WAY up, higher than it had ever been before, into "this is an immediate danger" territory. Fortunately she's one of those odd people who have discernible minor symptoms when her blood pressure gets above a certain level, and we recognized the pattern; so we checked her BP, said "oh shit", and went to the ER where various things were done to bring her BP down. Since starting that drug was the only recent change, she stopped taking it, and her BP has never been that high again.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I must still be tired. My immediate reaction to this was a mental image of immortals flocking to your home trying to mark you with an energy draining spell.

I was going to go with "You must construct additional pylons!" ;)

I got a c and c++ compiler to work on the "linux on Android" thing I've been using for light graphics and fairly heavy LaTeX stuff.

Had to nuke any thing that was even remotely related to the Gnu gcc or c++ tool chain and go with a tool chain just based on the LLVM system. (Something Apple did a while ago).

Once the c compiler was working my perl install became less broken and cpan doesn't freak out on my as soon as I try any thing.   Haven't built the full base line Bundle::CPAN yet (it's in progress right now) but it's past the normal failure point.  With any luck I'll be able to install perlbrew now and really be up to date with my perl install.

I'm not sure why it bothers me when I find out that my stuff is 2 or 3 releases old, but it does.  Sometimes any way.