• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sweveham

NP Wednesday 1 June, 2016

15 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

I really like Justin's mischievous expression in the third panel

If you want to sound really old, you could call first-person shooters "Doom clones"

Even the new Doom. :P

CDs do have two advantages over LPs that have nothing to do with sound quality

1.  They make decent roadside and dance hall reflectors

2.  While an LP can sail farther if thrown Frisbee style, a CD can be thrown with greater speed and accuracy making it a superior annoyance weapon.  (You DID hold on to all those AOL CDs you received in the 1990s as an ammunition stockpile.  Didn't you?)

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

CDs do have two advantages over LPs that have nothing to do with sound quality

1.  They make decent roadside and dance hall reflectors

2.  While an LP can sail farther if thrown Frisbee style, a CD can be thrown with greater speed and accuracy making it a superior annoyance weapon.  (You DID hold on to all those AOL CDs you received in the 1990s as an ammunition stockpile.  Didn't you?)

3. CDs make good coasters, while LPs make good placemats. ;)

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

When I gave my wife a PSP I nicknamed it the Game Girl. She loved that name and we have stuck with it.

As to CDs, what is wrong with LPs? *muttermuttergrumble*

I had to look up what LPs were. I didn't know they were an alternative name for vinyl records.

4 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I'm not entirely sure why, but I am greatly amused by Justin calling Dan an old man.

4 hours ago, Howitzer said:

Seems like a dangerous thing to be doing. After all, Dan's got the pencil.

IMHO THAT makes it amusing.

3 hours ago, Sweveham said:

If you want to sound really old, you could call first-person shooters "Doom clones"

Well, lot of them are. And with new Doom, it will make even more sense :)

Also, while the general term should be "optical media", I think people generally guess when faced with medium of unknown type.

52 minutes ago, partner555 said:

I had to look up what LPs were. I didn't know they were an alternative name for vinyl records.

Not ALL of them. Only the most popular vinyl format.

1 hour ago, partner555 said:

I'm guessing you don't know what a 45 is. You're even less likely to know what a 78 is. There were also 16s, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen one.

Then how do I call a Gameboy Color then, huh??

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm guessing you don't know what a 45 is. You're even less likely to know what a 78 is. There were also 16s, but I don't believe I've ever actually seen one.

I go by 7", 10" and 12". DJ style. :demonicduck:

Ever seen a mini CD lately?

7 minutes ago, Stature said:

I think I have only EVER seen three mini CDs. One of them is right here beside me. I forget what's on it and the label doesn't really say.

25 minutes ago, Stature said:

I'm sure I still have somewhere around a mini CD with Christmas carols. I'm not sure where exactly did I get it, but I suppose it was Christmas bonus to something ...

I suspect I never played it whole.

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure I still have somewhere around a mini CD with Christmas carols. I'm not sure where exactly did I get it, but I suppose it was Christmas bonus to something ...

I suspect I never played it whole.

Yeah I have a couple miniCDs that have drivers for I think a memory card reader and a cheap 1 megapixel digital camera that I forget how I got but it really wasn't that great.

There were also MiniDiscs that were around from 1992 to 2013.

Eh. Back in the Pharaoh's day, CDs were made of clay, inscribed in Coptic cursive and they played them on alligator drives. (You made the alligator open its mouth, inserted the CD (clay disc) and then forced the jaws closed again. Then you used a watermill for the power to spin the disc. (This drive system resulted in alligator dentists making a lot of money.))

29 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

To be clear, Crocodiles were used for portable sound systems.

For the fullest and richest sound, you will want to sharpen the tusks on your hippo.

Thank goodness for modern technology. I get to enjoy music without worrying about it horribly maiming me.

I was given a desk clock made with a Rise of the Triad CD back when I worked at Apogee. Still have it around here somewhere, but I'm not sure where since Mrs. Prof cleaned recently ...