• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

NP Friday June 3, 2016

I gathered from context it refers to some sort of game that refers to leveling up with increased experience as evolving.  That seems to be all you need to get the joke, although I'm sure there could be more subtleties that add to the humor.

I enjoyed the Futurama reference. And trust me, trying to explain evolution to people who don't want to hear is about as easy as explaining quantum physics. I have heard dumber explanations to how we evolve than, "Get points. Hit your cap. Evolve."

36 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Or is this yet another cautionary tale that some people should never be allowed on camera lest they embarrass themselves and annoy others?

Some people can embarrass themselves just fine without cameras, though cameras do magnify the effects.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty certain this is in reference to Pokemon evolutions.

Yes, and not every Pokemon evolves, so he can't disprove THAT form of evolution (lol, I thought at first that he was talking about REAL evolution)

4 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:
10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty certain this is in reference to Pokemon evolutions.

Yes, and not every Pokemon evolves, so he can't disprove THAT form of evolution (lol, I thought at first that he was talking about REAL evolution)

It's certainly Pokemon evolutions and Seismic toss is pokemon attack. Normal people CAN'T do anything like that, I mean without spells like Nanase's guardian form.

Note also that Pokemons who learn seismic toss all get option to evolve before learning it, IF they can evolve by levelling.

But it IS also about real evolution in the sense that the guy obviously don't understand the difference.

it's less a case of more brains than brawn, and more a case of systemic self-inflicted brain damage among most players, due to encouraging behaviors that no helmet can adequately protect against.

As helmets and pads have become better and better shock absorbers, players have been hitting harder and harder to get the same effect. basically making the protective gear self-defeating.

there's also the fact that actually, technically, you do evolve during a football game- since you get better at the game with practice, you evolve into a better football player. It's just it's not generally all that noticeable except over long spans of time.Much like RL evolution.

Oh, and helmets aren't precisely self-defeating- it's more that they are very good at protecting against acute injury- that is, they prevent players breaking each other's necks- but not against chronic injury- that is, the built-up brain damage from being repeatedly slammed into the ground- and I wonder if increased rates of brain damage and the like are due to players hitting harder, or that reduced rates of injury are prolonging careers, causing more long-term brain damage. That, and I hate to point it out, but - certainly at college level- sports players aren't necessarily the sharpest tool in the box in the first place.

That's the problem with (most) people who refuse to accept evolution: They do it out of blind faith and refuse to learn about it, so they don't really know anything about it, so they are unable to have a logic argument about the issue.

It reminds me of that politician guy who was convinced that the pyramids where granaries built by Joseph: When people pointed that pyramids were mostly solid stone with only some narrow tunnels and relatively small rooms inside, so they couldn't hold barely any grain, he refused to listen and insisted that the Bible said that pyramids were granaries, despite the Bible not mentioning pyramids at all.

It can go both ways. I once read an atheist's webpage in which he explained that the Bible was wrong because it described a cosmology in which the sky was a solid ceiling with a sea and lands (Heaven) over it, and he explained it like it was a great discovery, a revelation that refuted religion, and I was like "Really? Dude, there are a lot of languages in which heaven and sky are the same word! And that description of sky/heaven has been there for thousand of years, do you seriously believe that you are the first one to read it?" I guess he believed that every religious person in the world was a fundamentalist who interpreted the Bible literally.

And even when they are CORRECT in their observations, their interpretations are sometimes... interesting...

Like the Bible must be completely the word of God because what it says about the distance between points A and B, and unknown point C, have been used to successfully find point C. In other words, it got the geography right.

Well here's this thing I'm writing that gets the travel time between a certain restaurant and a certain WalMart, both in metropolitan Minneapolis/St Paul, right (according to Google Maps - actually that's how I determined the travel time). I got the geography right. In another chapter I got the correct travel time between the airport and a certain apartment. So obviously my writing is divinely inspired and everything in it must be true! The major characters are centaurs.

The Bible may or may not be true - I carefully refrain from commenting - but THAT is a LOUSY argument for it.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Well here's this thing I'm writing that gets the travel time between a certain restaurant and a certain WalMart, both in metropolitan Minneapolis/St Paul, right (according to Google Maps - actually that's how I determined the travel time). I got the geography right. In another chapter I got the correct travel time between the airport and a certain apartment. So obviously my writing is divinely inspired and everything in it must be true! The major characters are centaurs.

Sci-fi authors usually pay lot of attention to the verifiable parts of their work. And isn't the travel distance of 20 000 leagues under the sea correct?

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

The Bible may or may not be true - I carefully refrain from commenting - but THAT is a LOUSY argument for it.

I'm sure Bible can't be LITERARY true. Even most Christians don't try to claim that nowadays. Also, there is growing number of "discoveries" on topic of stuff in Bible which was totally incorrectly translated. Except we are not sure what language is really original, do we?

On 4 June 2016 at 6:56 PM, hkmaly said:

Sci-fi authors usually pay lot of attention to the verifiable parts of their work. 

Yeah! And the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel Run in just twelve parsec!

...what? :danshiftyeyes:

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember someone mentioning that the 12 parsec thing was more of a distance traveled rather than time, and referred to Han Solo possibly cutting a lot of corners and going through more dangerous territory.

20 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember someone mentioning that the 12 parsec thing was more of a distance traveled rather than time

Precisely. Parsecs have nothing to do with time. They are purely a measure of distance.

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Precisely. Parsecs have nothing to do with time. They are purely a measure of distance.

From wookieepedia:

The Kessel Run was an 18-parsec route used by smugglers to move glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught by the Imperial ships that were guarding the movement of spice from Kessel's mines

Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs.

Given the original script had ben kenobi rolling his eyes at han when he said that, (you can find it online, check google) I think it was meant to be wrong on purpose, at first. like a "you idiot, you don't even know what you're saying, do you?" moment.

I blame Lucas.

Yeah, I've seen seveeral different fanon explanations for that line.  My personal one is that the Kessel is something the ship is chasing, and the goal is to catch it as quickly as possible.  The Kessel didn't even get twelve parsecs before he'd caught it.  :-)