• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Tuesday June 7, 2016

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

She needs to tune the length to the best whoosh.

New question for debate: what is the ideal wavelength of Susan's hair in relation to its maximum coefficient of whoosh?

15 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She needs to tune the length to the best whoosh.

New question for debate: what is the ideal wavelength of Susan's hair in relation to its maximum coefficient of whoosh?

While interesting question, I don't think it can be solved by debate ; we don't have any input data, we didn't even actually HEARD the sound.

11 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

Abs made of abs! When life gives you abs, tighten and divide them until you've got abs to spare, then burn life's house with the power of your abs! ABS!

Fractal abs?  That might, just might get all weird and stuff.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Huh. That could easily be Susan in 30 years.

Base on Susan's singing at Grace's birthday party, not likely.  Hair length maybe.  Job, nope.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Base on Susan's singing at Grace's birthday party, not likely.  Hair length maybe.  Job, nope.

I was speaking purely about appearance.

Huh. You know, even though it was pretty much glaringly obvious, I never even realized that most EGS magic is transformation magic. There are quite a few other types of magic we haven't seen yet used by the human characters because most of them can only transform, summon or fly.

8 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Huh. You know, even though it was pretty much glaringly obvious, I never even realized that most EGS magic is transformation magic. There are quite a few other types of magic we haven't seen yet used by the human characters because most of them can only transform, summon or fly.

Nanase and Justin have illusion, Elliot has evocation, Greg and Dex have abjuration,  Tedd,Edward, Agent Cranium, Luke, and Sarah has Divination, to use he D&D school names, just off the top of my head.  Depending on what the closed eyes meant, Carol Brown, Ace Reporter, may have Divination as well.

Nanase also has conjuration linked to Divination and evocation, for the Fairy doll spell.  No freaking wonder the griffons were impressed.

It's possible I spend way to much time in game designer mode.

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

How is it possible to spend way too much time in game designer mode? *scratches head*

Right now I either asleep, eating or working on project [redacted].  With minor time outs to read on line comics and this forum.  I'm even off face book for a while.

And the reason I say [redacted] is because I know the great Google runs over this forum and, while I have said on the open Internet what my plan was I've just now firmed up to the point that NDA will be needed for more information.

59 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Nanase and Justin have illusion, Elliot has evocation, Greg and Dex have abjuration,  Tedd,Edward, Agent Cranium, Luke, and Sarah has Divination, to use he D&D school names, just off the top of my head.  Depending on what the closed eyes meant, Carol Brown, Ace Reporter, may have Divination as well.

Spell schools (D&D definitions) and who I can remember using them - I have probably forgotten several:

• Abjuration: Greg, Dex, Jerry, possibly done *to* Magus, possibly threatened by Tara
  • Conjuration: (Summoning) Nanase, Susan, Dex, spidervamp; (Healing) Elliot (superheroine), Grace, Sirleck - all arguable; (Calling) Dex, Abraham; (Creation) Nanase, Jerry; (Teleportation) Nioi, all Immortals, possibly done *to* Magus
  • Divination: Edward, Nanase (fairy and guardian), Ellen (guardian), Tedd, Sarah, Tara, Nioi, possibly the ether-whale (for telepathy)
  • Enchantment: Jerry, Magus, Tengu, Nioi, Pandora, the ether-whale
  • Evocation: Dex, Justin, Terra, Sirleck, Edward, probably Tara
  • Illusion: Nanase, Justin, Raven, Jerry
  • Necromancy: -- and I doubt we'll ever see it in this comic
  • Transmutation: Tedd, Grace, Hedge, Guineas, Vlad, Elliot (superheroine), Ellen (guardian), Nanase, Abraham, Tengu, spidervamp, Nioi, all Immortals
  • Universal: Susan, French Immortals, Pandora

The order of names on the above lines has far more to do with the order in which I thought of them than anything else.

(Terra gets a link because she's such a minor character and I want to make it clear that I did NOT mean Tara.)

35 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Necromancy: -- and I doubt we'll ever see it in this comic

We haven't seen it used on-panel, but there is a well-known source of D&D-style Necromancy in the setting. Necromancy isn't just the undead. It also deals with life force, such as stealing it from another creature (Vampiric Touch is a very useful spell), so the EGS-vampires make considerable use of D&D Necromancy.

Also, from what I've been told, healing magic was also considered Necromancy before third edition, again because D&D!Necromancy is about manipulating the forces of life, death, and rebirth.

1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

Spell schools (D&D definitions) and who I can remember using them - I have probably forgotten several:

• Abjuration: Greg, Dex, Jerry, possibly done *to* Magus, possibly threatened by Tara
  • Conjuration: (Summoning) Nanase, Susan, Dex, spidervamp; (Healing) Elliot (superheroine), Grace, Sirleck - all arguable; (Calling) Dex, Abraham; (Creation) Nanase, Jerry; (Teleportation) Nioi, all Immortals, possibly done *to* Magus
  • Divination: Edward, Nanase (fairy and guardian), Ellen (guardian), Tedd, Sarah, Tara, Nioi, possibly the ether-whale (for telepathy)
  • Transmutation: Tedd, Grace, Hedge, Guineas, Vlad, Elliot (superheroine), Ellen (guardian), Nanase, Abraham, Tengu, spidervamp, Nioi, all Immortals

The order of names on the above lines has far more to do with the order in which I thought of them than anything else.

Yep.  Of course that is the 3.x schools.  5 has changed them around a bit.  The have removed all the summon spells and replaced them with conjure spells. Create spells are weird.  Create food and water is conjuration, create or destroy water is transmutation, even though the create water part is the same, as far as how long it stays around.

All the healing we have seen is more like regeneration which is transmutation.  Elliot's cellphone is like spending which is evocation.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

42 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I don't even know what some of those words mean and I'm too lazy to Google them, so I'll just trust you on those.

5 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Yes we have, though...not on-panel. Necromancy isn't just the undead. It also deals with life force, such as stealing it from another creature (Vampiric Touch is a very useful spell), so the EGS-vampires make considerable use of D&D Necromancy.

Also, from what I've been told, healing magic was also considered Necromancy before third edition, again because D&D!Necromancy is about manipulating the forces of life, death, and rebirth.

Raise dead in all it's various forms is necromancy as well. (As of version 5)

Also, as of v5 fireshield is evocation so Dex doesn't have abjuration....

Vampires have Divination (detect hunters) and enchantment (dominate)

Elliot may have abjuration, as part of Cheerleadera's defensive powers.

Grace has Divination for speak with animal (and relationship powers)

Wall of force is evocation but mage armor is abjuration so it is a toss up for Greg

4 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I don't even know what some of those words mean and I'm too lazy to Google them, so I'll just trust you on those.

Don's link does explain them, current rules just move a couple of spells around and remove the sub-schools.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
3 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's possible I spend way to much time in game designer mode.

How is it possible to spend way too much time in game designer mode? *scratches head*

Extremely easily. You start designing in afternoon and before you notice, it's morning.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Of course that is the 3.x schools.  5 has changed them around a bit.

And Dan is not likely to be using either ... IF there even is official classification of magic in EGS universe. It's possible than someone in-universe is using 3.x schools of magic because it fits good enough, despite not having anything to do with how magic actually WORKS. (Note that Edward didn't really liked the "awakening" term either.)

Personally, only people I would believe to have working classification is Tedd 20 years later and Tara.

41 minutes ago, mlooney said:
53 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I'd bet on Andrea before Tara.

Unless it has to do with cutting things of course.

Well there are lot of cases where I would bet on Tara, but I was specifically talking about the "having working classification of magic/spells". Tara likely heard that classification (from Andrea), but I wouldn't bet on her remembering it correctly.