• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Thursday June 9, 2016

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:
43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And even if the degree of control would be limited (that person wasn't exactly playing piano, and we can't rule out degradation of nerves being limit, although inability to CONNECT nerves to sensors in high enough number is more likely cause) amputee would likely still prefer it to prosthetic, just like they prefer prosthetic to nothing.

Well those cybernetic limbs are still in the trial stages, IIRC they're testing with military personnel who've lost limbs in combat, so yeah the degree at which the limb can accurately read the electrical impulses is still likely low and there's probably a learning curve as well, but it still promising and we'll probably see cybernetic limbs that move more fluidly in the near future.

I said "we can't rule out". We really don't know where the biological limits are because we are currently limited by other stuff. And note that nerve degradation will become progressively worse the longer it was since injury: I'm convinced that for fresh amputee (like in weeks), we can get cybernetic limb better than the original, but for people who lost the limb year ago?

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:
43 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand, I don't really understand what's so hard on the hollow bones either. And remember, Dan might not have so big medical knowledge, but he's still final authority about what is possible in EGS.

I'm guessing the cold blooded and hollow bones thing would require a complete genetic overhaul to accomplish properly, not sure what could go wrong with the cold blooded part, but I could see hollow bones breaking under the weight of a person's own body. I think we've speculated that Tara and Andrea couldn't possibly be hollow boned for the reason that their size would be hugely detrimental to any benefit hollow bones could give.

Actually, the cold blood is EASY to explain. Cold blood means you need different enzymes for like everything, in many cases multiple different enzymes for same thing but different temperature. Cold blooded animals generally have much more chromosomes than warm-blooded ones just so they can record all those enzymes in DNA. Becoming warm-blooded and making child develop inside parent until it's old enough to maintain it's own temperature allowed to simplify everything considerably.

Hmmm ... so, TF gun technically is able to make hollow bones but it is disabled as safety feature because the bones would then not be able to support enough weight? Makes sense.

And yes: it's not like Tara and Andrea would be able to fly without magic anyway.

21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And yes: it's not like Tara and Andrea would be able to fly without magic anyway.

Yes they could. Get into a cargo aircraft with a big enough hold, and voilá. You can't tell me that a Hercules couldn't easily carry them. :demonicduck:

48 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yes they could. Get into a cargo aircraft with a big enough hold, and voilá. You can't tell me that a Hercules couldn't easily carry them. :demonicduck:

They wouldn't get over TSA. Unless you mean military one, which would be even better guarded.

(Obviously, I mean fly by own power. And without artificial wing extensions and balloons and in Earth gravity and I think I still missed something which they obviously didn't used when they flied in EGS.)

Technically, non-avian bones are hollow as well. The difference is what they're filled with. Mammalian bones are primarily full of marrow, a soft tissue responsible for the production of blood cells. Avian bones tend to be filled with air with criss-crossing structures from structural strength that is needed to withstand the stresses of taking of, flying, and landing (think of all the stress that gets put on a person's legs with jumping and landing from that jump). Likely the TFG might be able to give a person pneumatized bones (nasal cavities in the skull are an example of pneumatized bones in human) but it can't give you an avian skeletal system, as it would require a massive overhaul of your skeleton. Pneumatizing bones, fusing bones together, potentially increasing the number of vertebrae. Though pneumatizing a large number of bones might bring up the safety consideration of not having enough blood cell production if the form is maintained for too long.

Hm, but if you have specialized forms, could you, if you have a broken left arm, design a form that only has a right arm, and when you transform, tada, no broken arm?

Course, then we have the question, if you have a broken left arm and then transform into a four-armed two-legged creature, how many arms are broken? If one, could you then design a three-armed variant of that form that's missing the arm that would be broken. But if that worked, you'd just be able to remove another arm, then rearrange the arms so that you had two unbroken arms.

Probably the best solution would be to declare you always have the injuries no matter what the form, just on the closest piece of anatomy. So in the case of disappearing the arm that was broken, you'd have a broken shoulder until transformed back. Magibabble it as forms requiring a base stable anatomy to transform, and any disruption to the starting anatomy will result in a disruption in the resulting form.

On 9 June 2016 at 2:15 PM, Maplestrip said:

Today's answer doesn't confirm that magic can't be used to heal such illnesses, though. It only makes clear that transformation magic can't be used for it. With Ted in the team, it seems like a matter of time before he investigates a person with healing-specific magic and applies it in Uryom-style technology.

I mean, realistically. And, knowing this webcomic, "a matter of time" refers to many decades from our perspective ;)

How long has EGS gone, in-universe? Maybe a year or two, right?

Hella hectic year for them all.

Well, that's one old mystery solved. Transformation magic is dreadful for healing. If you want to heal fast, use healing magic.

As for Grace, if she doesn't heal as fast as Wolverine, then perhaps her healing is the same level as, say, Spider-Man's? I remember Spidey breaking his arm/shoulder/whatever once and it was good as new after a good night's sleep. That's not bad at all.

5 hours ago, Ajonos said:

Course, then we have the question, if you have a broken left arm and then transform into a four-armed two-legged creature, how many arms are broken? If one, could you then design a three-armed variant of that form that's missing the arm that would be broken. But if that worked, you'd just be able to remove another arm, then rearrange the arms so that you had two unbroken arms.

Can TFG make a four-armed creature? Can it do without basically duplicating both of arms? (So, the number of arms broken would also multiply). How good would you able to control rearranged arms?

5 hours ago, Ajonos said:

Probably the best solution would be to declare you always have the injuries no matter what the form, just on the closest piece of anatomy. So in the case of disappearing the arm that was broken, you'd have a broken shoulder until transformed back. Magibabble it as forms requiring a base stable anatomy to transform, and any disruption to the starting anatomy will result in a disruption in the resulting form.

That magibabble is very logical actually. And Dan has advantage here: he can avoid complicated situations. He doesn't need to make player-proof rules like RPG would need to.

4 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

How long has EGS gone, in-universe? Maybe a year or two, right?

Not including flashbacks, since January 20th to unknown date likely still in January of next year.

4 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

As for Grace, if she doesn't heal as fast as Wolverine, then perhaps her healing is the same level as, say, Spider-Man's?

Quite possible. I'm sure with the number of authors who did spiderman comics over the years, "intentionally vague" is as best as one can say about Spider-Man's healing.

More important than speed is that she requires medical attention. Wolverine doesn't: his healing is even better than most shapeshifters have, and that's shapeshifters which CAN set broken bones properly by shapeshifting, which Grace apparently can't. Also, while not directly answered, it seems Grace can get permanent injury. Wolverine will regenerate anything given enough time.

Speaking of Wolverine, there was an infamous incident where his body was incinerated down to his Adamantium-bonded skeleton, with a small fragment of brain tissue from which his entire body regenerated. Leaving aside the matter of how his body regenerated without food, etc., one wonders just how his mind was regenerated, given that the brain structures holding his memories and knowledge were gone without a backup copy.

On 6/10/2016 at 6:22 PM, hkmaly said:

Can TFG make a four-armed creature? Can it do without basically duplicating both of arms? (So, the number of arms broken would also multiply). How good would you able to control rearranged arms?

We do know it can add limbs: people have been given tails, and Nanase's guardian form adds wings.

Transformation magic and healing always seems to be inconsistent. Look at Animorphs. Supposedly, they heal their injuries when they morph because they're copying the animal's DNA. So then how come they copy the animal's age as well? When they morph adult humans later in the series, they somehow inexplicably get older in the process, rather than becoming a teenage version of the adult they morphed.

Of course, the Animorphs are also somehow able to incorporate clothing into their DNA-based morphing, so I guess it's just generally nonsense.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Speaking of Wolverine, there was an infamous incident where his body was incinerated down to his Adamantium-bonded skeleton, with a small fragment of brain tissue from which his entire body regenerated. Leaving aside the matter of how his body regenerated without food, etc., one wonders just how his mind was regenerated, given that the brain structures holding his memories and knowledge were gone without a backup copy.

Re-download from soul?

1 hour ago, Ajonos said:

We do know it can add limbs: people have been given tails, and Nanase's guardian form adds wings.

People actually DO have tails - or at least tail bone. It can be argued that the TFG just enlarges it to true tail.

And Nanase's guardian form is NOT product of TFG and TFG is unlikely to be able to copy it.

52 minutes ago, Troacctid said:

Of course, the Animorphs are also somehow able to incorporate clothing into their DNA-based morphing, so I guess it's just generally nonsense.

... yeah ... somehow, in movies, shapeshifters have unrealistically little problems with clothes because rating needs to be kept low.

Of course, in another show how webcomics are superior to mainstream movies because they are done by someone who care, example of comics where it IS being though about (by which I mean, the shapeshifters there actually speak about how to solve the problem, this is not the sort of comic where author though about it and as a result the characters end up naked all the time. Might even be SFW, although frankly I'm not sure why it's considered safe to browse comics in work even if it's Garfield.)

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Might even be SFW, although frankly I'm not sure why it's considered safe to browse comics in work even if it's Garfield

When you're in a radio studio booth of your own (with a door), have all of your traffic/weather hits caught up for the moment, and have your commercial copy laid out for the rest of your shift, you can get away with it. I browsed The Wotch during a fill-in day shift back at Metro Networks, even after the boss came in to check up on me. He didn't have anything he could nail me on.

NN1    0

Even if you couldn't reproduce normal limbs, a double arm amputee (or even a single arm amputee) would benefit greatly from a permanent prehensile tail, even if they need to renew the transformation regularly. Elliot got hit by a F5 beam that was supposed to last a month, so transformations could last a long time. Heck, most people could use an extra limb once in awhile, but I'm focusing on helping the injured more than performance enhancement. 

There are examples of performance enhancing morphs through the TF gun (mostly animal forms, but the ripped male forms during the M5 NP arc suggests that there are other ways to do this, assuming that wasn't merely a cosmetic change) which should also help people with genetic disorders that reduce muscle mass and the like, hopefully without too serious cosmetic changes.

The Moderator: When a thread has been inactive for ten days to two weeks, it is time to let it rest in peace. Please do not necropost. Posts commenting on old topics like these belong in the speculation threads in the general forum.

~tOH.