• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story Friday, June 10, 2016

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

the whole CCG phenomena, but especially MtG and Pokemon.

I'll be honest, I'd forgotten there even was a Pokémon CCG, and that's far from the core aspect of Pokémon. Heck, even the anime's a small deal compared to the video games. Besides, the Pokémon CCG came out in the US in 1998, while Magic came out in 1993. Not exactly in the same year, or even a year apart. Bit much to hold hatred for Pokémon on that count, as CCGs had been around for 5 years at that point.

On 13.6.2016 at 1:22 AM, hkmaly said:

Agree. In Pokemon, the world was never in danger. In Digimon, every season finale.

Excuse me? The Pokémon world has been in danger many times. Mostly in the movies, yes, but Ash and his friends have had to rescue legendary Pokémon from being used for evil many times in the anime as well and by saving them, they've saved the world from destruction each time. My favorite time when that happened was in the DP series when they stopped Team Galactic from creating a new universe which would have wiped the old universe from existence.

It would be fascinating how in Pokemon the society somehow adapted to children usually having pets capable of mass destruction if not for the fact that they didn't even attempted to explain how. And the only gun shown caused the episode be banned in US, because being shot is much more dangerous than 4rd degree burns from Charizard - wait, actually it might've been, considering it happened to Ash multiple times ...

I think it's pretty obvious that humans are a LOT tougher than they look in Pokémon. Team Rocket and Ash are the best examples of that. They've been through so much abuse over the years that I think they would make many superheroes look like wimps. They obviously feel pain, but they recover ridiculously fast and they never gain any lasting injuries from electricity, fire, freezing, explosions, crash landings, poison, physical and mental attacks or anything else. In short, humans are just as indestructible as Pokémon, they just can't attack the way Pokémon do.

Also, ANYONE playing the game proved to be better trainer than Ash in first hour of play.

The games are not like the anime. In the anime, training Pokémon takes a lot more time and patience, not to mention more improvising. I know fully well that Ash is pretty dumb, but he is a great Trainer. He was still a rookie in the first season, so of course he made lots of rookie mistakes and I am not a fan of how he won most of his Indigo League Badges, but those days are long gone. Ash got progressively better in Johto and Hoenn, and he was brilliant in Sinnoh. He really should have won the Sinnoh League, but because the writers always have to find some excuse to make him lose, they pulled a legendary user out of their asses so Ash wouldn't win - and Ash still beat two of that guy's legendary Pokémon that nobody else had beaten before.

Then, for some reason, they made Ash suck again in Unova without any explanation at all. I HATED the BW series. It was complete garbage. I could barely watch through it all.

Luckily, Ash is back to his Sinnoh greatness in the current XY series. The Kalos League starts next week and I'm eagerly looking forward to it. Ash has some good, fully evolved Pokémon and his Greninja has unique power that will certainly work to their advantage. However, I fear that Team Flare will interrupt the Kalos League before it's finished, because the episode after the next one will have two of Ash's rivals battle for a place in the semi-finals. That seems oddly rushed to me, so I believe this League will get interrupted and they will try again after they've saved Kalos from Team Flare. I really want Ash to win this time because he really deserves it, but I should probably prepare myself for another bitter disappointment. Too bad the writers of Pokémon don't seem to get that Ash could still stay as the main character in the next series even if he wins the Kalos League. Winning a League Tournament doesn't make him a Pokémon Master, it only gives him the right to challenge the Elite Four. Ash is pretty good, but I doubt he's match for the Elite Four yet, so the writers could easily make Ash go to Alola after losing to the Elite Four.

Sorry for the rant. Touchy subject.

On 14.6.2016 at 3:15 AM, hkmaly said:

Also, while Ash seems to never return, perhaps it's supposed to be like for summer holiday, with return to school for winter? (It's not like Ash is aging either, is it? Maybe it's STILL the first holiday.)

No, Ash and his friends (or anyone else in the show) don't seem to age. There's no explanation for it whatsoever, we're just supposed to accept it. They're like the Simpsons - we see time pass, but it doesn't affect anyone. Not physically, at least.

On 14.6.2016 at 3:15 AM, hkmaly said:

And you might actually NEED Pokemon in school. Especially if it's Pokemon school, which is the only kind shown in the series. Oh, wait, there was also that school for Chansey, wasn't it? :)

Yeah. There are lots of Trainer Schools in the show, but since not EVERYONE is a Trainer, it can be assumed that there are also regular schools for people who want to have real jobs. There doesn't seem to be an upper age limit to being a Trainer, however, so many adults can also spend their time walking through forests and mountains catching Pokémon and living off the government money.

14 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:
On 06/13/2016 at 0:22 AM, hkmaly said:

Agree. In Pokemon, the world was never in danger. In Digimon, every season finale.

Excuse me? The Pokémon world has been in danger many times. Mostly in the movies, yes, but Ash and his friends have had to rescue legendary Pokémon from being used for evil many times in the anime as well and by saving them, they've saved the world from destruction each time. My favorite time when that happened was in the DP series when they stopped Team Galactic from creating a new universe which would have wiped the old universe from existence.

Are you saying it started to be more interesting after I stopped watching?

That "saving legendary pokemons" was not stated to be preventing destruction of world, was it? Sure, the weather was awful with Moltres and Zapdos captured, but I'm not convinced the "earth shall turn to ash" was really about destruction of whole world.

26 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

In short, humans are just as indestructible as Pokémon

... which reminds me that I'm not sure why was Ash so worried when Pikachu was injured. Generally, the injuries from battles seem less serious than other injuries, even if they are obviously physical (I mean, from normal type attacks).

30 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:
On 06/13/2016 at 0:22 AM, hkmaly said:

Also, ANYONE playing the game proved to be better trainer than Ash in first hour of play.

The games are not like the anime.

Of course. It wouldn't be interesting if it would be that easy. Still, Ash seems to be doing LOT of mistakes, and he also seems to LOSE most pokemons he get. I'm not sure why they didn't rather make some rule about only using "local" pokemons in every league - oh wait, that would prevent him for using Pikachu all the time.

31 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Luckily, Ash is back to his Sinnoh greatness in the current XY series.

... so, his Sinnoh pokemons were back, or did he started with just Pikachu again?

32 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Too bad the writers of Pokémon don't seem to get that Ash could still stay as the main character

They also seem to not realize that if they try to keep the series to go forever by making Ash never really change, it will became too boring to watch.

33 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:
On 06/14/2016 at 2:15 AM, hkmaly said:

Also, while Ash seems to never return, perhaps it's supposed to be like for summer holiday, with return to school for winter? (It's not like Ash is aging either, is it? Maybe it's STILL the first holiday.)

No, Ash and his friends (or anyone else in the show) don't seem to age. There's no explanation for it whatsoever, we're just supposed to accept it. They're like the Simpsons - we see time pass, but it doesn't affect anyone. Not physically, at least.

... Simpsons are comedy. Comedy can take more abuse. Tom & Jerry don't need to age ever. In more serious genre, the "resets" are frustrating. If they really want to start from the beginning, they should make new character. It's not like it wouldn't be pokemon without Ash.

36 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:
On 06/14/2016 at 2:15 AM, hkmaly said:

And you might actually NEED Pokemon in school. Especially if it's Pokemon school, which is the only kind shown in the series. Oh, wait, there was also that school for Chansey, wasn't it? :)

Yeah. There are lots of Trainer Schools in the show, but since not EVERYONE is a Trainer, it can be assumed that there are also regular schools for people who want to have real jobs. There doesn't seem to be an upper age limit to being a Trainer, however, so many adults can also spend their time walking through forests and mountains catching Pokémon and living off the government money.

... right. Government money? Is it ever stated who is paying all those trainers? I hoped that the older ones need to get some real jobs, even if that would be just something like Gym leader, pokemon researcher or stuff like that.

Although, maybe with exploiting pokemons as cheap work force, their economy can afford it.

On 6/14/2016 at 4:22 PM, hkmaly said:

Some CLAIM to give you a playable game from starter packages. But as I'm not playtesting them, I can't confirm that.

MTG's starter packages are absolutely playable out of the box. I've played many of the preconstructed decks—including Commander, Duel Decks, and Planechase—and they're loads of fun.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It depends. When did you stop watching? If you've only watched the Original Series (Ash's journeys through Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto), then definitely.

That "saving legendary pokemons" was not stated to be preventing destruction of world, was it? Sure, the weather was awful with Moltres and Zapdos captured, but I'm not convinced the "earth shall turn to ash" was really about destruction of whole world.

Well, the movie pretty much said that the Chosen One (Ash) was the only one who could calm down the legendary birds and therefore stop the world from being flooded. Of course, that was only the second Pokémon movie. Since then, there have been much, much more powerful legendary Pokémon than the bird trio and Lugia with powers over things like space and time itself. So yeah, in hindsight, there's no way the three birds could have destroyed the world without any other legendaries stopping them, but hey, those legendaries hadn't been invented yet, so the makers of the movie didn't know that!

Of course. It wouldn't be interesting if it would be that easy. Still, Ash seems to be doing LOT of mistakes, and he also seems to LOSE most pokemons he get. I'm not sure why they didn't rather make some rule about only using "local" pokemons in every league - oh wait, that would prevent him for using Pikachu all the time.

Ash used to make a lot of mistakes, but he wasn't the only one. The anime used to be quite lax about following all the same rules as the games, but it's gotten much better now. Ash definitely couldn't do crazy stuff like "Pikachu, the horn!" or that infamous "Thunder Armor" these days. Ironically, neither of those things I mentioned were his mistakes because they actually worked against his opponents. No, they were just the anime being weird.

... so, his Sinnoh pokemons were back, or did he started with just Pikachu again?

Ash started with just Pikachu again in Kalos. What I meant was that he's just as competent in Kalos as he was in Sinnoh. Do yourself a favor - if you ever decide to catch up on the show, skip the BW series. Trust me, it's for the best.

If they really want to start from the beginning, they should make new character. It's not like it wouldn't be pokemon without Ash.

Oh, I agree. I like Ash, but I'm 100% positive that the BW series would have been much better with a new protagonist. It would have been believable for an actual rookie to make all those stupid rookie mistakes Ash did in Unova.

... right. Government money? Is it ever stated who is paying all those trainers? I hoped that the older ones need to get some real jobs, even if that would be just something like Gym leader, pokemon researcher or stuff like that.

Although, maybe with exploiting pokemons as cheap work force, their economy can afford it.

It's never been stated how Ash and his friends pay for all the food and supplies they use on the road, so I must assume that the government pays them. In the games, you get money from the Trainers you defeat in battle, but that's never been even hinted at in the anime.

And yes, some Pokémon do work alongside police officers, firemen and construction workers, so that does save some money.

1 hour ago, SeriousJupiter said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It depends. When did you stop watching? If you've only watched the Original Series (Ash's journeys through Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto), then definitely.

Considering I DO remember Dawn, somewhere in middle of Diamond & Pearl ? Looking at images of episodes, either they mixed the order (again), or I started skipping before stopping completely.

if you ever decide to catch up on the show, skip the BW series. Trust me, it's for the best.

If I will still remember it at the time ... I suppose I won't return to it before retirement. Comics are better.

It's never been stated how Ash and his friends pay for all the food and supplies they use on the road, so I must assume that the government pays them.

I think it WAS hinted that he only doesn't need to pay in Pokemon center and similar places, so it might not even need to be government.

In the games, you get money from the Trainers you defeat in battle, but that's never been even hinted at in the anime.

Obviously. Wouldn't explain where those trainers get the money, also Ash doesn't battle that many trainers.

And yes, some Pokémon do work alongside police officers, firemen and construction workers, so that does save some money.

Specially the construction workers was what I based my "source of cheap labour" comment on.

On the other hand, they also seem to have pretty advanced technology. Automation can help a lot too.

1 hour ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Any particular reason why?

1. Ash has been dumbed down, to worse than he was when he started on his journey all the way back in Kanto.

2. His loss at the league was to an even bigger idiot than he was during BW.

3. The Mewtwo in the Genesect movie NOT being the Mewtwo we already knew, but a different Mewtwo completely.

4. Poor writing in general. In fact, poor writing pretty much sums up BW.