• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

NP: Monday, June 13, 2016

Valve's been very catty and dropping vague hints about the possibility. On the other hand, it's impossible to tell if Valve's hints are just appeasing the fan theory, or if the theory was because of Valve's hinting.

In June 2008, Valve hinted that The Pyro may be in fact a female, or may not be human. On the TF2 Official Blog, Jakob Jungles posted an image that referred to the Pyro as "he" in the description. Although clearly referred to as a male, the card ends with the phrase 'if he is even a man at all.' This most likely suggests that the Pyro might not be human at all, but is also likely to keep players guessing at his gender. Also, the recent spy update the sentence "When Pyro hears about this she'll be inconsolable." Was posted on the TF2 Blog. Which was changed a few hours later to "Pyro's going to be inconsolable now." In the "meet the pyro" video, a mini female gender sign is put in the sky of "pyroland", which is the land pyro thinks he/she is in.

Source

"Are you tired of constantly playing as men in Team Fortress Two?"

'Not really. It's not as if there would be a noticeable difference in the gameplay of, say, a male sniper vs a female sniper. Maybe the voice is different but aside from that...' 

4 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Based on reasonable conclusions derived from fair observation or because people felt like it?

Probably a combination of the latter and the total lack of evidence that defines Pyro as male.

57 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

Actually, there's a fan theory that TF2's pyro is female.

I only know about Team Fortress 2 from NerfNow, which turned half of cast into female ...

29 minutes ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

Are you tired of constantly playing as men in Team Fortress Two?

... but if I actually played it, I might be if it involves looking at men ass all the time.

If it has first-person view camera, then really, what's the difference?

In fact, why there is no mod which would switch opponents gender on your screen, without them knowing? Don't tell me it's because the collision/hit area is detailed enough to matter.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

In fact, why there is no mod which would switch opponents gender on your screen, without them knowing? Don't tell me it's because the collision/hit area is detailed enough to matter.

Probably because Valve's anti cheat detection would think it's something worth banning for. They're pretty finicky like that. (Also you'd have to make the models yourself.)

1 hour ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

Probably because Valve's anti cheat detection would think it's something worth banning for. They're pretty finicky like that. (Also you'd have to make the models yourself.)

Not just the models, but also the skeletons, rigs, and animations, which could result in different silhouettes* and hitboxes depending on how you do it. You could just replace the meshes, I suppose, but that'd result in some weirdness almost certainly.

*And since this was THE main focus in character design of TF2, and a very large reason why it was as balanced as it was...

There actually are character replacements out there, but they need to be enabled server side not client side if you want them to work correctly (or at least the ones i'm familiar with), at which point they're visible to everyone, so the "without them knowing" part isn't going to happen.

trying to connect to an unmodded server with a modded client runs the risk of VAC having a fit.

7 hours ago, partner555 said:
7 hours ago, Howitzer said:

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=472

Actually, there's a fan theory that TF2's pyro is female.

Based on reasonable conclusions derived from fair observation or because people felt like it?

Yes, it's a fan made video, but it's a good one.

Anyway for the comic, I like D.Va, the Meka is funky looking, but fun, I've only managed to pull off a multi-kill with the "initiate jump jet and self destruct" maneuver a couple times to great effect (not enough for play of the game though), I've also used McCree a few time, the secondary attack is nice if you have a steady shot but the reload is slow, High Noon is best used up close and in the open. It's tough to build up your ultimate sometimes and then try to get into a position to use it.

If you ask me the voice is trying to steer her away from Bastion because at low levels it's all too easy to use him as a crutch and lose out on learning good technique.

Flankers are a subset of offensive characters who have good mobility and burst damage. They like to sneak around the map to dodge the enemy frontliners, with the goal of assassinating healers and turrets (like Bastion) or just causing general chaos.

4 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Um, why does the narration say Grace doesn't want to play Bastion? (And flankers, etc? um, I know nothing about Overwatch...)

During late beta and after release, people were griping about all Bastion players had to do to get player of the game was plant themselves near the enemy spawn room and mow enemy players down as they left. I ran into that situation a couple times myself.

16 hours ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

Probably because Valve's anti cheat detection would think it's something worth banning for. They're pretty finicky like that.

Oh. Right.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace chose the character with a cute pet/companion rather than picking one based on conventional preferences?

Does he even really HAVE that companion in-game or just on the character selection screen?

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh. Right.

Does he even really HAVE that companion in-game or just on the character selection screen?

The bird's name is Ganymede and is really just a cosmetic feature. Various skins will use a different bird, one has a Blue Jay, another a Cardinal  for instance. Victory poses, emotes and highlight intros feature the bird as well. If you want an actual functional companion pet, Mei is the one you're looking for, her's is part of her ultimate ability.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

The bird's name is Ganymede and is really just a cosmetic feature. Various skins will use a different bird, one has a Blue Jay, another a Cardinal  for instance. Victory poses, emotes and highlight intros feature the bird as well. If you want an actual functional companion pet, Mei is the one you're looking for, her's is part of her ultimate ability.

Clearly the game needs an expansion pack to let you play as the bird. 

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I thought everyone had heard.

Errgghhh...

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You mean there is no "Bird" option?

We do have "Bird Rights". Hope it suffice.

What this comic doesn't mention is that Bastion essentially has the personality of The Iron Giant, and his ultimate attack is to transform into a really cool tank. 

I have to admit that I'm tired of playing men, not just in Team Fortress 2, but in gaming in general.  And I say this as a man! It's incredible how few games come out with women in leading, playable roles, despite women making up half of humanity.

So it's not surprising that Overwatch is selling itself on it's diversity. It really does make them stand out. A breath of fresh air.

Games like CoH allow the player to create an avatar with whatever personality you want to give them. Overwatch supplies unique characters that have their own personality and story. I guess if there's one gripe I might have about the game, it's that it has all this backstory of where the characters come from and what happened to the world, but there's no real explanation for why they're fighting now.