• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Wednesday, June 15, 2016

My "taunting" from last time still stands. I sincerely believe that the denial of the OTT is a worse running gag than Sarah's prudeness, and I am disappointed.

Of course, "Kevin" can only research for the main and NP, so I know where we can focus on next. So, where is our administrative assistant, Minion, right now?

3 minutes ago, Avistew said:

Ellen looks pretty surprised to be there :P

Dan did say he would post a rectification page, he did not disappoint.

According to the commentary, that's Elliot.

I honestly was so confused why Ellen was being included in the poly diagram until I read the commentary. And then I was like, oh, of course, Ted/Elliot is an obvious ship. I'm glad at least that no one in this fandom pulls a Die For My Ship and tries to boot out Grace, because Grace is wonderful.

The faces in panel 3 are absolutely hilarious. Just look at the expressions.

And adding Elliot just makes it funnier. I do ship Tedd/Elliot, partly because it is one of my favourite running gags in the comic.

2 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

So who else pictured that diagram continuing to grow and add new characters until it resembled an Icosidodecahedron?

More like a wreck tangle.

3 hours ago, Avistew said:

Oops. Well at least I have an excuse for mixing the two of them :P

Yeah, I didn't get that it was Elliot either until the commentary. (Also, welcome back!)

Just for the record, not that it's important or when you get down to it anyone business, my polyship was middle section of panel 3

3 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

So who else pictured that diagram continuing to grow and add new characters until it resembled an Icosidodecahedron?

I'll go find the OT14 chart and show how big the web is.  The center? Nanase, of course.

There are many possible connections.  How one person within those connections describes the relationship may be different from how someone else within those connections describes the relationship.  And those titles need not resemble how someone outside the connections may describe the relationship.

This conversation resembles discussions regarding race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identification and many, many other human conditions.

Some experts may disagree on terminology.  Certain names may be regarded as offensive by some but not by others.  This makes it difficult to have a meaningful discourse without being side tracked by arguing semantics or offending someone.

I very much doubt that any important questions will be settled by a web comic and its associated on-line discussion.

6 hours ago, FailedSanity said:

I honestly was so confused why Ellen was being included in the poly diagram until I read the commentary. And then I was like, oh, of course, Ted/Elliot is an obvious ship. I'm glad at least that no one in this fandom pulls a Die For My Ship and tries to boot out Grace, because Grace is wonderful.

I thought it was Ellen too because she's on several occasions said Tedd was cute and sexy. But then I remembered Elliot did say he loved Tedd in a "Frodo and Sam" sort of way, so that probably counts.

16 hours ago, Howitzer said:
16 hours ago, Avistew said:

Ellen looks pretty surprised to be there :P

Dan did say he would post a rectification page, he did not disappoint.

According to the commentary, that's Elliot.

Why would Elliot be there? It's Ellen who thinks Tedd is cute ...

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I thought it was Ellen too because she's on several occasions said Tedd was cute and sexy. But then I remembered Elliot did say he loved Tedd in a "Frodo and Sam" sort of way, so that probably counts.

... oh. Right. Forgot about that one.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I very much doubt that any important questions will be settled by a web comic and its associated on-line discussion.

Considering the likehood those questions will be settled AT ALL, I wouldn't single out webcomics and it's discussion as something where it couldn't happen.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:
16 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I'll go find the OT14 chart and show how big the web is.  The center? Nanase, of course.

You should. I forget where it was.

*sigh* Okay, I don't want to sound insensitive, but I am getting very tired of Dan's annoying habit of feeling like he has to immediately correct himself when people tell him he got something wrong by creating a new page just for that one purpose even though it wasn't in his script. Not only that, but he also felt like he had to end this page on the exact same joke he used on the previous page, and I didn't find it funny then either. Can't he just apologize in the commentary? Now this Q&A will last longer and delay some sisterly meeting goodness.

Also, I'm not even sure how many times Dan has used the "seven billion people" joke, but it's not funny anymore. I know exaggerating can drive a point home, but he's basically saying that every single person on the planet reads his comic and they all felt like telling him he got his terminology wrong.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I tried to not be too rude.

1 hour ago, SeriousJupiter said:

Also, I'm not even sure how many times Dan has used the "seven billion people" joke, but it's not funny anymore. I know exaggerating can drive a point home, but he's basically saying that every single person on the planet reads his comic and they all felt like telling him he got his terminology wrong.

Current population seems to be over 7 400 000 000 and did he really already used it?

But yes. Number of readers of this comics is certainly lower. There are people who don't have Internet access, for example. Or people who would be executed for reading so open comics. Or people who are not aware what they are missing.

Not speaking about the fact that not everyone who read his comics told him he got it wrong. I didn't, for example.

Wow, I picked the right time to return to EGS after a hiatus.

I am an openly poly person, and as a poly person I support all the pairings shown in this comic. :D I also am glad that Dan attempts to show several different kinds of relationships and love in EGS. I don't really know what else to say, but i read the most recent comic after catching up and it made me want to say something about it, some kind of thanks, even if Dan never actually reads this.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Current population seems to be over 7 400 000 000 and did he really already used it?

But yes. Number of readers of this comics is certainly lower. There are people who don't have Internet access, for example. Or people who would be executed for reading so open comics. Or people who are not aware what they are missing.

Yes. Best estimates based on actual hits on the website put the number of readers of EGS in the tens of thousands.

20 hours ago, SeriousJupiter said:

*sigh* Okay, I don't want to sound insensitive, but I am getting very tired of Dan's annoying habit of feeling like he has to immediately correct himself when people tell him he got something wrong by creating a new page just for that one purpose even though it wasn't in his script. Not only that, but he also felt like he had to end this page on the exact same joke he used on the previous page, and I didn't find it funny then either. Can't he just apologize in the commentary? Now this Q&A will last longer and delay some sisterly meeting goodness.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I tried to not be too rude.

This is just my understanding based on what he's posted in comic and NP form, he's done this numerous times in Q&A's as well as during an NP set where he'll correct or clarify something that's said in a comic page. He obviously feels the need to do it this way because it has the highest chance of people seeing these corrections and clarifications. Not everyone follows on Twitter or Facebook and not everyone reads the commentaries.

As for the joke of avoiding answering the question of Sarah, Grace and Tedd being a poly relationship. Dan certainly acknowledges that the ship exists, he's content with having fun teasing us with the possibility of the ship being canon, but I don't think he's even sure if it should be canon. At the very least this would fall under the same category as whether or not any of the main 8 have had sex. Dan had stated that he doesn't consider anything canon until it's shown beyond doubt in comic form, using the Q&A to say whether it's canon is kinda cheaty. I mean sure, if something happened in the comic that showed something was canon, but someone missed it and then later asked, that'd be fine, but something that Dan's kept vague for reasons of fueling shippers, a Q&A isn't the right place to state whether it's canon or not. I'd rather see a storyline that has them discuss their feelings or something.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'd rather see a storyline that has them discuss their feelings or something.

Talk about a long storyline. :) I don't think Grace would have a problem with any of the possible arrangements of the OTT, but Tedd might have a slight problem with the Sarah/Grace configuration (despite his feigned perversion) and an even larger issue with himself and Sarah. Sarah would have problems with the whole situation, despite how she might feel about Grace (and about Tedd). Grace would have to do some SERIOUS cupid-playing to get this working.

I'm not sure if Dan would want to explore the dynamics of building this threesome.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Talk about a long storyline. :) I don't think Grace would have a problem with any of the possible arrangements of the OTT, but Tedd might have a slight problem with the Sarah/Grace configuration (despite his feigned perversion) and an even larger issue with himself and Sarah. Sarah would have problems with the whole situation, despite how she might feel about Grace (and about Tedd). Grace would have to do some SERIOUS cupid-playing to get this working.

I'm not sure if Dan would want to explore the dynamics of building this threesome.

Yeah, I don't think we'd need to worry about Grace. For Tedd being ok with it, the evidence we have is him setting up Grace to kiss Sarah, his reaction to Sarah and Grace hugging, and his fantasy image when Sarah asked him if she could be his lab assistant, and while he did shake the initial sexy scenario out of his mind, it's more from the fact that he didn't want to make Sarah feel uncomfortable around him, especially considering he'd just recently committed himself to being a better friend.

I think it really boils down to whether Sarah wants that kind of relationship with Tedd and Grace, we know she thinks Tedd is cute, as well as the fact that she considers what Tedd is trying to do with magic is "neato" so there is some degree of physical and mental attraction there. She's also been involved in numerous incidences where Grace has been naked and still gets flustered about it to the point where she's recently reconsidered her sexuality. Sarah's probably embarrassed to admit that she's attracted to Tedd and Grace because she probably hasn't considered the possibility of either of them being ok with a poly relationship, I'd say odds are good (not guaranteed of course) if she were to ask, they'd be ok with it.