• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

NP Friday June 17, 2016

Just so y'all know, you can use the boost ability before activating your ultimate and the mech will shoot off ahead, so it explodes off in the distance. It doesn't say that anywhere in the tooltips as far as I know. 

Then again, when you hold F1 you can read the abilities, so I'm kind of surprised Dan didn't know what the ult did in the first place.  

I think that I must have been playing too many Japanese-import games, because it felt "off" to me to listen to the video and hear her chatter in English.

BTW, am I right in presuming that "D. Va" is pronounced "Diva"?

Grace, you really should ask the person selling you the vehicle to go over all the installed options and features before you drive it off the lot.  At the very least read the owner's manual before pressing random buttons.

And I thought "D. Va" meant that the specified politician was a Democrat from Virginia.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

I think that I must have been playing too many Japanese-import games, because it felt "off" to me to listen to the video and hear her chatter in English.

D.Va does say things in korean too. And yeah it is pronounced "Diva", it comes from her being a Starcraft professional E-sports player (and champion several years running).

Also, that ultimate is pretty difficult to use. In order to keep from killing yourself you either need to have a wall to run behind before the Meka blows up, or what most people do and fire the jumpjets just before hitting the ultimate, you'll ejected but the jumpjets will continue to carry the Meka forward until it blows up, the difficult part is timing it so that the enemy isn't able to scatter and take cover.

4 hours ago, partner555 said:

Explosions tend to be funny when portrayed by Dan.

Made me think of the explosion with Noah and Elliot in it.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And I thought "D. Va" meant that the specified politician was a Democrat from Virginia.

Was there any doubt, man? She is not Téa, for one. Oh yeah, her saying of "Nerf this" somehow throws some of her Korean accent out of the mech window and outta here.

Rutin, IT IS (D-VA). Get your stuff right!

10 hours ago, Pizzaboy10 said:

Just so y'all know, you can use the boost ability before activating your ultimate and the mech will shoot off ahead, so it explodes off in the distance. It doesn't say that anywhere in the tooltips as far as I know.

Judging by Dan's video, that's actually an almost-mandatory combo, given how he still got damage when fleeing.

5 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

Blowing up your own mech sounds really wasteful, even if it does take out some enemies. Granted, she can just summon a new one and it does look really cool.

It reminds me of Pete Townshend of The Who smashing his guitar.

My headcanon is that replicator technology exists in the future that Overwatch takes place in, so there'll always be a replacement Meka available. :)

54 minutes ago, Random Wanderer said:

The explosion in that video did not look anywhere near powerful enough for an "ultimate."

I wouldn't know, everytime I used it, I tried to make sure I was looking away.B)

4 hours ago, Random Wanderer said:

The explosion in that video did not look anywhere near powerful enough for an "ultimate."

Well, D.Va is one of the characters the devs are going to be fixing the balance of soon. They haven't figured out whether they want to up the damage of her Ult, or up her survive-ability outside of her mech last I heard. So yeah, it's a bit weak at the moment afaik.

2 hours ago, Matoyak said:

Well, D.Va is one of the characters the devs are going to be fixing the balance of soon. They haven't figured out whether they want to up the damage of her Ult, or up her survive-ability outside of her mech last I heard. So yeah, it's a bit weak at the moment afaik.

It's strange because her ult doesn't hurt friendlies, but it hurts or kills her if she's unable to get behind cover before the mech blows. I get the idea of there being a risk to using it considering what it does, but if that risk should carry over to everyone really.

Ah, game balance issues...

The bigger question for the Overwatch devs is whether D.Va's ult is considered over or underpowered.  Sounds like underpowered. 

Odds are the first thing to go will be the Ult's ability to hurt D.Va herself.  Not needing to give the D.Va player time to exit and get clear would also allow the devs to lower the time between starting the ult and the mech explosion which increases its effectiveness without altering its damage mechanics. 

And a big boom with her ejecting out of the explosion is a cool visual to have. 

On 06/17/2016 at 11:30 AM, Pizzaboy10 said:

Then again, when you hold F1 you can read the abilities, so I'm kind of surprised Dan didn't know what the ult did in the first place.

And THIS is mentioned somewhere?

On 06/17/2016 at 10:42 PM, Scotty said:

My headcanon is that replicator technology exists in the future that Overwatch takes place in, so there'll always be a replacement Meka available. :)

Might not be StarTrek-level replicators, but the replacement Mecha is obviously not from storehouse, but freshly build. Remember than replicating mechas is MUCH simpler than food.

2 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

And a big boom with her ejecting out of the explosion is a cool visual to have.

I can't comment the rest as I'm not playing, just watching trailers and stuff. But this I agree with.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 6/17/2016 at 2:42 PM, Scotty said:

Might not be StarTrek-level replicators, but the replacement Mecha is obviously not from storehouse, but freshly build. Remember than replicating mechas is MUCH simpler than food.

well yeah, there's only 4 or 5 substances and they're almost all in rigid shapes. a 3D printer could make that.

food has DOZENS of chemicals and textures.

15 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

well yeah, there's only 4 or 5 substances and they're almost all in rigid shapes. a 3D printer could make that.

food has DOZENS of chemicals and textures.

Dozens of chemicals that are IMPORTANT for the taste. Total number of chemicals in organic food is likely even higher. And almost all chemicals in food have 3D structure which MATTERS - even simple stuff like sugar have TWO different shapes, the D-glucose being normal sugar, important nutrient, and L-glucose, indistinguishable in taste but totally indigestible unless you are Burkholderia caryophylli. So, even if you don't insist on taste and texture, just matching the nutritional value would be challenge.

Moving parts are easy. Print the parts separately and have an automated assembler put it together. Like how they build cars, only with printed parts rather than die-cast and pressed sheet metal parts.

with food, that plan doesn't work because each individual ingredient is a complicated mix, not just the end result.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Dozens of chemicals that are IMPORTANT for the taste. Total number of chemicals in organic food is likely even higher. And almost all chemicals in food have 3D structure which MATTERS - even simple stuff like sugar have TWO different shapes, the D-glucose being normal sugar, important nutrient, and L-glucose, indistinguishable in taste but totally indigestible unless you are Burkholderia caryophylli. So, even if you don't insist on taste and texture, just matching the nutritional value would be challenge.

Or it could assemble a few amino acids in the wrong order and WHOOPS! the food lost all it's protein value and may actually be poisonous...

14 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Moving parts are easy. Print the parts separately and have an automated assembler put it together. Like how they build cars, only with printed parts rather than die-cast and pressed sheet metal parts.

with food, that plan doesn't work because each individual ingredient is a complicated mix, not just the end result.

There's also computers, software, reactors and reactor fuel (whatever it is).  There's a lot of planning and detail that goes into building a battlemech

I think we can agree that a battlemech and a nutritious, tasty dinner are both complex, but in different ways.