• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
PSadlon

Pick a spell. Any spell.

Admittedly this is somewhat EGS inspired but it doesn't necessarily have to be EGS related (unless you want it to).

If you could at this moment have a spell that you wanted and/or reflected who you are what would that spell be?

Me I would want Tedd's sex change spell sans the affecting other people aspect.

37 minutes ago, PSadlon said:

If you could at this moment have a spell that you wanted and/or reflected who you are what would that spell be?

Me I would want Tedd's sex change spell sans the affecting other people aspect.

I would prefer Elliot's version, myself--total versatility in appearance and clothing as long as the form can reasonably fit within the description of "human woman".

The ability to become an exact copy of any living thing that I can get a good enough look at to visualize from any angle.  (base-level transmutation with persistence, no removable temporary nonsense)

...or if that fails there's always option B:

卍解。凍結された月の終わりのない夜。

The ability to teleport, with all the associated abilities needed to do so safely, like being able to tell what's at the other end so you aren't arriving inside a wall or in front of a crowd.  Ideally, some sort of an optional Somebody Else's Problem Field would keep other people from noticing you jaunting in and out (optional so that you *are* able to demonstrate if you *want* to).

Telekinesis strong enough to lift at least 4 times my weight.

That would effectively also give flight and mid range enhanced strength.

The bottling spell of the Good Magician in Piers Anthony's Xanth series. I've loved that spell since I was a kid. You cast a spell at any object in touch range and not in the possession of another person and it gets magically stored in a bottle. To retrieve it, you just open the bottle. And the bottles could be really small, too.

(In the series, it was also possible to trap demons in the bottles, but to do that, you needed pentagrams and an either cooperative or helpless target.)

12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

The ability to teleport, with all the associated abilities needed to do so safely, like being able to tell what's at the other end so you aren't arriving inside a wall or in front of a crowd.  Ideally, some sort of an optional Somebody Else's Problem Field would keep other people from noticing you jaunting in and out (optional so that you *are* able to demonstrate if you *want* to).

I'd like that one as well, but with the added ability to take a couple people with me if I were touching them. Then people could get away with saying "Beam me up Scotty." :D

The ability to morph and reconstruct people (both others and myself) to alter appearance, inherent physical abilities, repair, rebuild, or remove maimed and diseased tissue and organs.  Also the artistic skill to do an attractive job.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The ability to morph and reconstruct people (both others and myself) to alter appearance, inherent physical abilities, repair, rebuild, or remove maimed and diseased tissue and organs.  Also the artistic skill to do an attractive job.

Don't you have some Ancient technology that does that hidden in your pyramid? ;)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My answer, good Pharaoh... You've taken it.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I've heard of this. It's called mummification.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Modifications made via mummification can be very useful after the deceased has faced the judgement of Osiris.

I am looking for an alternative that will be helpful before Anubis blocks the way back.

You could try marmalade jars instead of Canopic jars?

On June 19, 2016 at 8:50 AM, CritterKeeper said:

22 hours ago, Scotty said:

imagegifimagegifI'd like that one as well, but with the added ability to take a couple people with me if I were touching them. Then people could get away with saying "Beam me up Scotty." :D

Well, given that appearing somewhere naked would make it a lot harder to be inconspicuous, it seems fair to assume that clothing can come along with when teleporting.

Of course, there are various kinds of clothing, of various thicknesses, and one would assume teleporting onto Antarctica safely would require being able to bring along thick boots, parka, goggles, etc.

Now, if you took all of that stuff and bundled it up, it would be no more unreasonable to teleport holding it in your arms, or carrying it in a backpack, while wearing shorts and a T-shirt, than it would be to teleport while wearing it.

Carrying it in a shopping bag by the handles is no more unreasonable than carrying it in a backpack, which can also be dangled by the straps.

This proves that you can bring along something you are only touching with one hand, or even dangling by one finger, which I do with shopping bags all the time.

If you can teleport with a full backpack while wearing clothing, you can teleport with a full backpack while wearing the Antarctic gear. You can incrementally prove you can teleport with over a hundred pounds.

If you can teleport things you are only touching with your fingertip, and you can teleport with over a hundred pounds, you can obviously teleport another person merely by touching them.  (Don't make me start with carrying a baby and work my way up, none of us need that hassle.)

It follows along similar lines that you can teleport vehicles your are riding on or in, ships you are standing on, buildings you are standing on, land masses, or even planets.  The advantages in the case of an imminent asteroid impact on the Earth are obvious.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

You could try marmalade jars instead of Canopic jars?

"You break a jar, you eat marmalade"

51 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, given that appearing somewhere naked would make it a lot harder to be inconspicuous, it seems fair to assume that clothing can come along with when teleporting.

Of course, there are various kinds of clothing, of various thicknesses, and one would assume teleporting onto Antarctica safely would require being able to bring along thick boots, parka, goggles, etc.

Now, if you took all of that stuff and bundled it up, it would be no more unreasonable to teleport holding it in your arms, or carrying it in a backpack, while wearing shorts and a T-shirt, than it would be to teleport while wearing it.

Carrying it in a shopping bag by the handles is no more unreasonable than carrying it in a backpack, which can also be dangled by the straps.

This proves that you can bring along something you are only touching with one hand, or even dangling by one finger, which I do with shopping bags all the time.

If you can teleport with a full backpack while wearing clothing, you can teleport with a full backpack while wearing the Antarctic gear. You can incrementally prove you can teleport with over a hundred pounds.

If you can teleport things you are only touching with your fingertip, and you can teleport with over a hundred pounds, you can obviously teleport another person merely by touching them.  (Don't make me start with carrying a baby and work my way up, none of us need that hassle.)

It follows along similar lines that you can teleport vehicles your are riding on or in, ships you are standing on, buildings you are standing on, land masses, or even planets.  The advantages in the case of an imminent asteroid impact on the Earth are obvious.

That really depends on how the teleport spell worked, like it could be caster only in which cast only the person using the spell would be teleported regardless of whether they were in physical contact with another person. There'd likely also be a rule that wearables would be included much like how piercings will shrink and grow along with the person to avoid any issues. A teleport spell may also be an area effect where anyone within a certain range of the caster would be taken with them. I'd like a middle ground spell where I can teleport selected people, in case we need to get out of a crowded area. Just link hands and go.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Teleporting in the table top RPG traveller is a psionic ability. Teleporting with clothing is some what more expensive in terms of psionic points for than teleporting nude.  Teleporting with gear is a lot more expensive than naked. Teleporting with some one else is massively more expensive, to the point that 80% of psionic people need to take psi drugs to do so.

Traveller teleporting also makes you obey the laws of conservation of energy, in that gaining or losing altitude is dangerous do to the increase or decrease in body temperature.  More than 400 meters either way with out special clothing that heats or cools you is normally fatal.

It also illegal in the 3rd Imperium, the major political power in known space, because it's a psionic power, in that psionics in general are illegal.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'd like a middle ground spell where I can teleport selected people, in case we need to get out of a crowded area. Just link hands and go.

Ever read the novel "Jumper" by Steven Gould?  I think you'd enjoy the version of teleporting in that one.  (Trigger warning: the first time David teleports is to escape an abusive father.)

There's also an old 70s TV show that was ITV's counterpart to the BBC's Doctor Who, called The Tomorrow People, which involved a group of kids who can teleport, as well as having telepathy and telekinesis.  I found DVDs of it at my local library, and if you can stand it *being* 1970s sci-fi, it's held up about as well as old Doctor Who episodes have. :-)

On 6/21/2016 at 5:19 AM, mlooney said:

Teleporting in the table top RPG traveller is a psionic ability. Teleporting with clothing is some what more expensive in terms of psionic points for than teleporting nude.  Teleporting with gear is a lot more expensive than naked. Teleporting with some one else is massively more expensive, to the point that 80% of psionic people need to take psi drugs to do so.

Traveller teleporting also makes you obey the laws of conservation of energy, in that gaining or losing altitude is dangerous do to the increase or decrease in body temperature.  More than 400 meters either way with out special clothing that heats or cools you is normally fatal.

It also illegal in the 3rd Imperium, the major political power in known space, because it's a psionic power, in that psionics in general are illegal.

My first serious Traveller character ever was way back in the original edition. She rolled the powers of Telepathy and Teleportation with a rating of 9, which was really good. The thing was, due to the way the system was put together, she eventually became a fairly strong telepath skill-wise, but never ever managed to increase her teleporting ability above rock bottom. Which was to say, her own body only, nothing else. I still managed to get use from it but it took a good deal of care and forethought. One method was to ensure that there was usable gear available in places I intended to infiltrate. Of course, as JML mentioned, my character's powers were highly illegal and she ended up working for the Empire as a secret operative to stay out of prison.

My GM, being the Devil incarnate, eventually turned my psionics against my character when the Zhodani made a clone of her and had her trained from an early age, resulting in a physical double of my character with stronger psi talents and skills than I had. This scenario gave me a LOT of trouble, not least of which was that my double was clearly all but impossible to restrain or imprison conventionally. It did not make my situation easier that I insisted on trying to take her alive since my character considered the clone her twin sister and thus family turned against her rather than an enemy. Eventually I came up with the solution of paying a fortune for having her cryogenically frozen and transported to the Solomani Rim (the other end of the Empire.) Since that was a two-year trip each way using the fastest couriers available, I figured it would at least get her out of my hair for a while. And who knew, maybe she would even find a better reason for living than running errands for the bloody Zhodani.

10 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

My GM, being the Devil incarnate, eventually turned my psionics against my character when the Zhodani made a clone of her and had her trained from an early age, resulting in a physical double of my character with stronger psi talents and skills than I had. This scenario gave me a LOT of trouble, not least of which was that my double was clearly all but impossible to restrain or imprison conventionally. It did not make my situation easier that I insisted on trying to take her alive since my character considered the clone her twin sister and thus family turned against her rather than an enemy. Eventually I came up with the solution of paying a fortune for having her cryogenically frozen and transported to the Solomani Rim (the other end of the Empire.) Since that was a two-year trip each way using the fastest couriers available, I figured it would at least get her out of my hair for a while. And who knew, maybe she would even find a better reason for living than running errands for the bloody Zhodani.

You must have had a huge grin on your face when Dan first introduced Ellen then. ;)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

You must have had a huge grin on your face when Dan first introduced Ellen then. ;)

That was one reason I fell in love with EGS, yes. Admittedly, for a truly serious treatment of this, I can only highly recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Mirror Dance, which deals extensively with the legal rights of clones. In fact, I recommend the whole Vorkosigan series.

57 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

That was one reason I fell in love with EGS, yes. Admittedly, for a truly serious treatment of this, I can only highly recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Mirror Dance, which deals extensively with the legal rights of clones. In fact, I recommend the whole Vorkosigan series.

Oh yes, Ever so much.