• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Would there be any interest in starting up an online game of what I have heard described as "Werewolf," "Ultimate Werewolf," or "I Am Not A Werewolf"?

Basically, it's a game about lying your butt off and/or trying to figure out who else is lying their butt off.

In the most basic version, the players are divided into Villagers, Werewolves, and a Seer.  The werewolves know who each other are, and once every night they get to pick one player to devour.  During the day, they try very hard to act like a normal villager and not give away that they are a werewolf.  The villagers spend the day talking, and trying to figure out who among them is a werewolf.  If enough villagers think that someone is a werewolf, they can vote to lynch that person (maximum one lynching per day), at which point they find out whether they were right.  The villagers win if they find and kill all the werewolves, and the werewolves win if they equal or outnumber the villagers.  

The Seer is on the side of the Villagers, and every night they get to check one person to find out if they are a werewolf.  This naturally means that the werewolves would really like to know who the Seer is, and if they figure it out they will likely devour them.  The Seer therefore has to try to steer the rest of the group's decisions without actually revealing that they are the Seer and know for a fact that they are about to, say, lynch an innocent villager, or that they really should vote to lynch a particular person.

I've played this game a great deal in person and it can be a blast!  The only problem I can foresee is that all of the discussion is really supposed to be within the group as a whole, so we'd have to all agree not to send PMs to anyone except the game moderator about the game, or to discuss the game in private in any other format.  There are a bunch of other roles/characters that can be brought in if people enjoy the first game or two....

So, is there any interest in trying this?  Or should we wait until the first EGS Convention to play in person? ;-)

A word of warning, if I'm moderating this, there may occasionally be times I can't reply right away, so you'lll have to have a little patience.

Ooooh, I used to play this game on irc on the Caelestia network! Lots of fun... I wonder if the archived games from those days are still around, they're a fun read...

Found one! http://editthis.info/caelwiki/SemiRPG/Logs/24-JAN-2005 I participated in this game as "Johnno". Sadly, it's the only one of the ones I remember that has been posted on that wiki.

We had some... Interesting... Game masters on that network. In one game where I was the killer, we had a guy who kept being weird and poking at aussie stereotypes to annoy me get his skin turned into an outfit and his body arranged to form a crocodile. Not my doing!

In another game I got turned into a human slushie. I forget whether that was in the one I linked or the other sci-fi themed game.

You're making me nostalgic for mIRC....

That said, that looks a lot more elaborate and role-play-y than the games I've usually been in.  We were just a pseudo-medieval village with a small population getting smaller by the minute and a mayor who fled before the game ever got started.  Reasons to lynch could, in the early "days" when there's really nothing to go on, include what T-shirt someone was wearing (it had a wolf on it!) or whether they were eating M&Ms (poisonous to canines).  Some players are pretty quck to pick up on changes in style of gaming or tiny slips of the tongue, once they've had time to happen!

Oh, there were a few like that too. Medieval village ones, I mean. But like I said, we had some... interesting game masters. One game ended up revealing that all the players except for the game master's character were guilt-hallucinations of people long dead. That was a fun game. I was a killer. I won :D

But yeah, the Caelestia SemiRPG version of werewolf had a lot more roles than just "Villager" "Wolf" and "Seer". Sadly, I can't find the old reference page.

There's a variant on this game called 'Mafia'. It's almost exactly the same, but with the role names changed. It has a pretty big community, and its own wiki: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Main_Page. There are tons and tons of roles you can find there.

I've only read mafia/werewolf forum games, but I've played the game some IRL. I'd be interested in joining a forum version here.

My favourite role in this game, for screwing with people's heads, is the Fool.

The Fool, like the Seer, can check one person per night to see what their role is. Unlike the Seer, however, the Fool is always wrong. The Fool believes that they are the Seer (and are told that they are the Seer during game setup), and will always see the Seer as the Fool. Should the Fool check their own role using their ability for whatever reason, they will see themselves as the Seer (apparently, it has happened).

If we don't get enough people who actually want to play, I'm cool with this turning into a thread for discussing the game instead.  It's cool to find someone else who enjoys it!  :-)

I'm a troublemaker, so I'm rather fond of playing Cupid.  You get to assign two people to be The Lovers, who secretly work together and if one dies the other will too.  This is great if you know the people playing, or if you're playing in a group that includes teenagers who have been teasing one about their secret interest in another while she was out of the room....

The Lovers can be assigned randomly as cards, but it's more fun if they they're assigned by a Cupid because they still have other roles.  Since you have no way of knowing anyone's roles when you make the assignment, you can wind up choosing one werewolf and one vanillager, or even a werewolf and the Seer.  If that happens, then the Lovers win if they're the last two players left in the game.  Naturally, if they're both on the same side, they win if that side wins.

We have a chat room!  It's on the tabs at the top of the page.  This raises the possibility of playing a game in the chat room all at once instead of in the thread over days or weeks.  Anyone who's interested in either version, please speak up and say chat, thread, or both.  That way we can get a feel for how many players we might have best case, and we can work out details later.

Well, we either need a good number of people wanting to play here, or in the chat room (which also needs a big enough chat room), or both.  Shall we do a roll call of anyone who wants to play?  Say whether you'd be interested in chat or message board versions or both.

demonhunter

wolfb

Aura Guardian

Infinite Remnant

Anyone else?

Whilst i am interested, I will not be able for some time. I'm currently using a mobile broadband USB dongle to connect to the internet, and I have to make 2GB last until the end of the month (new phone line connection for my ISP gets put in April 22nd)

Like I said, I have no problem with using this thread to discuss this sort of game, favorite past games, etc, until such time as we do have enough people to play.

Another fun card to include in the deck is Cupid.  The first night of the game, Cupid gets to pick two people to be The Lovers.  Keep in mind that Cupid has no more idea than anyone else what roles the Lovers play, which side they're on.  The Lovers then wake up and recognize each other.  They each have no idea at this point which role their mate is playing.  What they know is that if one of them dies, the other will immediately die of a broken heart.

Like Masons, or indeed like Werewolves or the Seer, they have to figure out ways to steer the discussion and convey informatioon to each other without giving away their roles, as the two-for-one deal is difficult for the more bloodthirsty to pass up.  If both Lovers are Villagers or both Lovers are Werewolves, then their goal is obvious.  If one is a Villager and the other a Werewolf, then the two of them win if they are the last two players left at the end of the game.

I was Cupid a couple of years ago at WeeM.  There was a teenager among the group whose friends had just been teasing him about how much he liked a certain girl, while she had stepped out of the room to get a fresh cola.  When I saw I had the Cupid card, I knew what I had to do.  Half being a brat and a troublemaker, and half hoping to break the ice for him, I made the two of them the Lovers.

It wasn't until I died a few rounds later, and got to stay awake at night to see who was which role, that I discovered the cards had made him a Vanillager, and her a Werewolf.  This pair of moon-crossed Lovers proceeded to direct and manipulate their fellow players masterfully, protecting each other without tipping their hands and keeping the teams even enough to ensure that they were the last two standing.  Even though I'd died, I kinda felt like my team had won!  :-)

Some sets have cards for The Lovers, but that version means they're always both villagers; I really prefer the extra dimension that their having pre-existing roles adds.