• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Drachefly

Popularity of gender flip in the general populace

It seems that this is like a lot of sexually-related things in our society, in that the number of people interested in it tend to be grossly underestimated in public because of a perception of social stigma.

The problems with reincarnation as a means of gender-swapping include:

• It's a long-term prospect infrequently available
  • One of the prerequisites is generally regarded as something to avoid (although so far it doesn't look like more than maybe one or two people have managed to avoid it permanently, and even those few are disputed)
  • It's generally believed that during the process one is out of commission for an extended period
  • Upon completion, one suffers significant physical disability for some years and lower social status plus restrictions on one's liberty for quite a bit longer
  • With possible rare exceptions, one doesn't remember life before the swap
  • It's effectively impossible to arrange to retain employment, ownership of property, etc., and one may lose most or all of one's friends

The problems with surgery as a means of gender-swapping include:

• It's expensive, invasive surgery, with all that entails
  • It isn't complete
  • Portions of the process are not reversible

The TFG offers huge advantages.

On the assumption that self-application of TFG or equivalent is freely available to persons over, say, age 16, and not to younger ages (totally arbitrarily, because it's harder to predict what kids will do, and you get into questions of "would it really count, in most cases, at age 6?")...

I'd guess that over 30% and maybe over 50% of people will, by age 20, have genderswapped (temporarily) at least once. And probably over 10% would find themselves comfortable enough with being swapped that they might occasionally do so as a matter of convenience, with a smaller percentage occasionally doing so recreationally. And yet a smaller percentage would, anywhere from frequently (Tedd) to near-constantly (Sam), in order to resolve identity issues.

Given complete safety and guaranteed reversability, I'd expect the percentages to be far higher than that.  Heck, given that transforming with the TFG is supposed to have health benefits, it might even be required, or at least strongly encouraged, in school.

32 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Given complete safety and guaranteed reversability, I'd expect the percentages to be far higher than that.  Heck, given that transforming with the TFG is supposed to have health benefits, it might even be required, or at least strongly encouraged, in school.

Can you imagine having a TFG as part of sex ed?

If safe and reversible, I wouldn't surprised if most people would try it, and many would settle on the other side. Of course, the adoption of the technology would cause a cultural revolution which would undoubtedly improve gender relations and the treatment of people in general.

Yeah, but at the end of The Sneeches, they figured out that the distinction didn't matter in terms of higher or lower status in a world where you are able to change camps. Snobbery only works when you can exclude somebody, so society will move on to use something else for status marking.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, but at the end of The Sneeches, they figured out that the distinction didn't matter in terms of higher or lower status in a world where you are able to change camps. Snobbery only works when you can exclude somebody, so society will move on to use something else for status marking.

In that case, society could segregate politicians to their own bathrooms.

I'd give it a shot. I have no problem with my male self (except for the stomach fat), but I will admit (here) that I've been curious. As long as reversing it was affordable and convenient (one of Tedd's watches, for example), I'd give it a try.

On June 23, 2016 at 0:18 AM, banneret said:

If safe and reversible, I wouldn't surprised if most people would try it, and many would settle on the other side. Of course, the adoption of the technology would cause a cultural revolution which would undoubtedly improve gender relations and the treatment of people in general.

It's possible that if gender could be changed a will, then gender roles would end up even more rigid.  After all, if a girl wants to be a fighter or a mathematician or President, well, she can just turn into a boy to do those things.  And if a boy wants to stay home and raise babies, or be a nurse or a schoolteacher, well, he can turn into a girl to play those roles.  No need to struggle for the right to do those things when you're the "wrong gender" for them, just switch to the "right one" and them you can play that role!

5 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

It's possible that if gender could be changed a will, then gender roles would end up even more rigid.  After all, if a girl wants to be a fighter or a mathematician or President, well, she can just turn into a boy to do those things.  And if a boy wants to stay home and raise babies, or be a nurse or a schoolteacher, well, he can turn into a girl to play those roles.  No need to struggle for the right to do those things when you're the "wrong gender" for them, just switch to the "right one" and them you can play that role!

I suspect this would not be the case.  Too many people are, shall we say strongly, cis in their gender.  And want to work in a career field that is traditionally for the other gender.

Having a "normal" both side of the head headache at night, and waking up to a migraine (one side of the head, right in my case) headache is not a good thing.  My first dose of drugs for the migraine has knocked it down to just irritating, but still there, which, if it follow my normal pattern, is going to come back in full force in about 3 hours.  I'm tempted to take my stronger meds now, but I'm expecting a delivery today and I'd sort of like to be awake and functional when they get here.

Of course the delivery is for late afternoon, which may or may not be after my zone out is over.  This really sucks.

Opps. Put this in the wrong group. Pretend like this is in the changing medicine group. My bad. Edited by mlooney
Opps Wrong group.