• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Friday June 24, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/?id=2206

I feel there might be others that could be canon, like the Star Trek online set, but yeah other than the ones that were posted with the "canon cannon". Not a Date was  referenced in the main story comic so that was instant canon, Magic Shop being "sort or canon" is odd considering it transitions into Not a Date.

59 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I feel there might be others that could be canon, like the Star Trek online set, but yeah other than the ones that were posted with the "canon cannon". Not a Date was  referenced in the main story comic so that was instant canon, Magic Shop being "sort or canon" is odd considering it transitions into Not a Date.

What "set"? Are you sure it was whole story line? I mean, the three comics starting here are part of "Standalone Jan 2010" and not all of it is canon.

The list matches list on wiki, so no surprise.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Of course Detective Block is canon. How could such a masterpiece not be canon?

If anything I'd think the Detective Block and even Writer's Block III: Write less harder, are television series/movies in the EGS universe.

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

What "set"? Are you sure it was whole story line? I mean, the three comics starting here are part of "Standalone Jan 2010" and not all of it is canon.

The list matches list on wiki, so no surprise.

Yeah I was referring to those 3 comics, and yeah even though it's part of a series of standalone comic, it's one of those that could still be canon for the simple fact that the characters are in character. I could easily see Tedd asking Susan if she was interested in Star Trek Online because he knows she's a fan. And I could easily see Susan being disappointed that Justin didn't have a version of her as part of his crew because of their unique relationship and it is canon that Susan can do puppy dog faces.

Also, Non-Gratuitous Nudity could be canon as well because it's canon that Sarah is an artist and does comics as a hobby and her looking for reference material would be in character for her. Grace the Goddess might also be canonish, in that we know Tedd owns "Black and White" and it was the first game she played at Tedd's house, so her dreaming about being a goddess in the game is believable. Tedd Forgot To Do Something would be pushing canon though, it references as taking place after "lunchtable revelations" and while I can believe that Tedd would accidentally go to school as a girl (because Elliot went to school as a girl, though on purpose) the fact that Tedd would forget that he had a tail makes me wonder about it.

Hmm... Amanda's hesitance, I'm guessing it's such a public use of magic getting no reaction but "wow, that's cool" before Abraham's press conference?  Maybe also Nanase reading a lesbian romance novel in public...

1 hour ago, WR...S said:

Hmm... Amanda's hesitance, I'm guessing it's such a public use of magic getting no reaction but "wow, that's cool" before Abraham's press conference?  Maybe also Nanase reading a lesbian romance novel in public...

It's canon that she has that novel. And because Justin once suggested that Nanase might not be into guys, her reactions when he asks about the book means she's aware that him knowing what it was would fuel his suspicions. There are many points early on where Nanase was careless about keeping her feelings (especially about Ellen) hidden, if it wasn't for the events of Sister 2, she would have likely slipped up and her mom would have figured it out eventually.

BTW, panel 2 kinda makes me wish Dan would update the comics for the first few years to his current drawing style. I know it's highly unlikely he'll do it because that's a lot of pages and he'd basically have to stop creating new content for a while unless he only did a couple at a time. At the same time leaving it the way it is does make for an interesting look at the evolution of his style.

3 hours ago, Aura Guardian said:

Nice to have a compiled list for future use.

Yes, I'm very much happy with that.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

If anything I'd think the Detective Block and even Writer's Block III: Write less harder, are television series/movies in the EGS universe.

I support this idea.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Tedd Forgot To Do Something would be pushing canon though, it references as taking place after "lunchtable revelations" and while I can believe that Tedd would accidentally go to school as a girl (because Elliot went to school as a girl, though on purpose) the fact that Tedd would forget that he had a tail makes me wonder about it.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Dan say that one's definitely not canon, though I of course can't find it now that I need to.

59 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

That would give you Cannon canon.  What we're looking for is a real-life canon cannon.

Maybe you are, but I am looking for a cannon cannon. A cannon that fires other cannon would be totally awesome.

Cue Tchaikovsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ

A more difficult challenge would be definitively declaring which one-shot, "slice-of-life", NP comics are canon.  Right now, most of them are in the "maybe?" file.

Susan expressing a slight dislike of Vampire Romance stories to Sarah is one such comic that has been confirmed.  But what about Susan playing videogames with Catalina?  Grace and Sarah playing videogames while Susan expresses disinterest?  Or Grace attempting to get Tedd to go to bed while he tries to figure out why some parts of a rapidly growing woman's clothes don't shred as she becomes bigger than a house?

23 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A more difficult challenge would be definitively declaring which one-shot, "slice-of-life", NP comics are canon.  Right now, most of them are in the "maybe?" file.

Susan expressing a slight dislike of Vampire Romance stories to Sarah is one such comic that has been confirmed.  But what about Susan playing videogames with Catalina?  Grace and Sarah playing videogames while Susan expresses disinterest?  Or Grace attempting to get Tedd to go to bed while he tries to figure out why some parts of a rapidly growing woman's clothes don't shred as she becomes bigger than a house?

for the Susan and video games example, her expressing disinterest was more for Grace's choice of game, being an Ally McBeal spoof of a Phoenix Wright game, so I'd say she's in character with that, Grace seems to be in character to because I can see her being just as interested in a game with romance in it as she is with turtle stomping. Sarah is of course curious.

Susan and Catalina could be seen as odd considering it suggests that Susan has several games consoles, but I could see Susan's mother buying those for her growing up and while Susan might not play them herself much, she could easily bring friends over and just watch them play. It's canon that Susan likes to riff on the games rather than actually play them.

22 hours ago, WR...S said:

Hmm... Amanda's hesitance, I'm guessing it's such a public use of magic getting no reaction but "wow, that's cool" before Abraham's press conference?

It's canon that Nanase wasn't that careful with magic back then.

23 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah I was referring to those 3 comics, and yeah even though it's part of a series of standalone comic, it's one of those that could still be canon for the simple fact that the characters are in character.

I think Dan said somewhere that some of those standalone comics might be canon. Non-Gratuitous Nudity, meanwhile, was never called canon despite making complete sense to be.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

but I could see Susan's mother buying those for her growing up

I can totally see Susan mentioning she would like to try playing some game on console and Susan's mother, after finding out there are multiple options, buying everything. Would match how Susan ended in France.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

True, but I was thinking less of Nanase's actions than of the reaction.  A comic shop is a bit more public, since unlike a school, literally anyone might have business there; indeed, it's right there the dam would ultimately crack.

Yeah, but "Magic Comic Shop" was written before it was common for elementary and junior high school kids to carry phones that included video recording, and how many adults are going to believe some kids who say that the lady at the comic shop is magic? Nanase probably felt that letting the kids see her use magic would not bring adult attention onto her.

On 06/25/2016 at 1:14 AM, hkmaly said:

True, but I was thinking less of Nanase's actions than of the reaction.  A comic shop is a bit more public, since unlike a school, literally anyone might have business there; indeed, it's right there the dam would ultimately crack.

Anyone MIGHT but it seems just regulars actually WERE there. But most importantly,

21 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yeah, but "Magic Comic Shop" was

happening :)

21 hours ago, ijuin said:

before it was common for elementary and junior high school kids to carry phones that included video recording, and how many adults are going to believe some kids who say that the lady at the comic shop is magic?

indeed, it's right there the dam would ultimately crack.

Even THEN there was no ill intention and noone was freaking out. People in Moperville are apparently that much used to magic that they don't realize how weird it actually is.

Local newspaper is so full of it it is sold as tabloid in neighboring towns.

Looking at it from this angle, even if Pandora wouldn't appeared on live news, the technological progress alone - the mentioned smartphones - would make magic public knowledge sooner or later, because there is nothing special on Nanase. There must be dozens of other young magic user who don't really understand what "keeping magic secret" means.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Anyone MIGHT but it seems just regulars actually WERE there. But most importantly,

happening :)

Even THEN there was no ill intention and noone was freaking out. People in Moperville are apparently that much used to magic that they don't realize how weird it actually is.

Local newspaper is so full of it it is sold as tabloid in neighboring towns.

Looking at it from this angle, even if Pandora wouldn't appeared on live news, the technological progress alone - the mentioned smartphones - would make magic public knowledge sooner or later, because there is nothing special on Nanase. There must be dozens of other young magic user who don't really understand what "keeping magic secret" means.

Perhaps nothing special about her epic fail at secrecy, but she has much more impressive and memorable magic than seems to be average when she does fail to conceal it (as mentioned by Tedd who presumably learned about it from his father).

10 hours ago, Haylo said:

Perhaps nothing special about her epic fail at secrecy, but she has much more impressive and memorable magic than seems to be average when she does fail to conceal it (as mentioned by Tedd who presumably learned about it from his father).

Not sure what you talk about. Sure, avatar spells with persistence are rare, but she could make just as big impression on mundane folks with much easier faerie spell. And she didn't had guardian form when she had those epic fails at secrecy.

By setting the timeline of MV5, it does explain why Sarah said "at most a 2" in SP when she was saying a 1 in the MV5 arc.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

By setting the timeline of MV5, it does explain why Sarah said "at most a 2" in SP when she was saying a 1 in the MV5 arc.

... which was exactly the reason why we already expected it will be happening at such time ... but good to have it confirmed ...