• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
partner555

Videogame Thread

Pokemon Go seems to be all over the news lately.  First people walking dangerously while distracted by playing the game.  Then a group of crooks who were using the game to find people who were distracted and thus easy targets for robbery etc.  Now, the Holocaust Memorial and Arlington National Cemetary are asking the game makers to please stop putting pokemon within their bounds, as playing video games there is rather disrespectful yet large numbers of people have been doing so.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Pokemon Go seems to be all over the news lately.  First people walking dangerously while distracted by playing the game.  Then a group of crooks who were using the game to find people who were distracted and thus easy targets for robbery etc.  Now, the Holocaust Memorial and Arlington National Cemetary are asking the game makers to please stop putting pokemon within their bounds, as playing video games there is rather disrespectful yet large numbers of people have been doing so.

It is, there was also the story of a girl finding a dead body in a river while playing the game. Last I heard, the police don't suspect foul play.

My little sister and I both downloaded the game, but I don't have much opportunity to play during weekdays.

I bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE for the Wii U, which is a mashup of Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei. It started very slow and, although it has been improving, it isn't as strong as I hoped. Fortunately, I owned Persona 4 Golden on the Vita and had yet to play it. One day later, I'm four hours in.

On the home stretch of my Pokemon Platinum replay, and it's clear I'm not going to be able to beat the Elite Four with my best team before the DP final. Seems appropriate, really. I may come back to it one day, but I've got enough unfinished (and unstarted) games to be going on with.

After three weeks of Pokemon Go, I've got 21 in my Pokedex, only two of which are evolved. No gym battles yet, since I can't find a gym that isn't slightly out of range of the few public Wi-Fi hotspots I know of.

Oh Pokemon Go. I managed to get a Squirtle about 2 hours in, then when I woke up the next morning, the region lock went into effect and the game was basically unplayable where I lived. (As with the rest of South East Asia, The Philippines is under region locking.)

Since i can't really comment much on Pokerman Go, I'm going to go to an old hat with the name of Fallout 4 especially with it's latest DLC out just now.

Does anyone really like Fallout 4 these days? I mean, it's still a great game, no questions about that, and I really feel like the gunplay and hell, even the first person melee is the best it's ever been, but with all of this additional kits to basically continue the trend of "build your own stuff" that the fourth game's been spearheading, does it feel like they're losing the identity of Fallout as a survival RPG in favor of this post-apocalypse minecraft? I beat the game last May and have not touched it since. While playing an RPG like Fallout or any of the Elder Scrolls games will eventually lose its whimsy once you beat it more than once or twice, I just feel that especially with the fourth Fallout game that the missions REALLY get REALLY same-y REALLY quickly. While the games' main campaign doesn't suffer this problem, its side-quests are all "Clear out location X of Y" and sometimes "clear out location X of Y, then place this beacon"., which got same-y so quickly. In fact the only reason why it didn't was because the game was a scavenger hunt for screws, aluminium, copper, and adhesives. Compared to its direct predecessor (Fallout: New Vegas), its better mechanically, but worse overall as a Fallout game, compared to it's actual predecessor (Fallout 3), same mechanical proficiency, only slightly worse overall.

15 hours ago, Tobyc said:

On the home stretch of my Pokemon Platinum replay, and it's clear I'm not going to be able to beat the Elite Four with my best team before the DP final. Seems appropriate, really. I may come back to it one day, but I've got enough unfinished (and unstarted) games to be going on with.

Not interested in running around grinding for a few more levels, huh?

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

Not interested in running around grinding for a few more levels, huh?

Not so much that as just not wanting to break from the whole "keep my journey in sync with Ash's as much as possible" thing. I could have paused the DVD in the middle of the League tournament and then come back after grinding, but it would have ruined the exercise for me, however pointless it may have been.

In any case, I've beaten them and completed Platinum to my satisfaction before. I may come back to it if I need something for a later Pokedex (not that I ever expect to actually complete one).

Just recently I wanted to play some Counter Strike. Given that I am effing poor my only option was playing the 1.6 version.

Did you know CS 1.6 was released in 1999? And did you know there still are lots, and lots, and lots of public servers around, more than 15 years later? Even when there's still two newer versions active (Source and GO)?

16 minutes ago, exterminator said:

Just recently I wanted to play some Counter Strike. Given that I am effing poor my only option was playing the 1.6 version.

Wait a second, does that mean its compatible with more modern OSes? (at least 7, possibly 8.1 and 10?)

I play it on Windows 8 with no problem.

EDIT: Actually, it messes up my screen configuration whenever I quit the game, but I think that's just my screen not liking full screen applications.

I'm not gonna say a Pokemon is good or bad solely because of its name or its design. I'm not gonna be that guy. But holy 'karp, did they give a cool-looking Pokemon a terrible name. For Pokemon Sun and Moon, they leaked some Pokemon in CoroCoro magazine and cleared up a couple of 'em in a trailer.

First of all, a new Ground/Ghost Pokemon line, {Sunabaa} and {Shirodesuna}. {Sunabaa} resembles a mound of sand with a toy shovel embedded in the top (blade down), and {Shirodesuna} resembles a sand castle, again with a toy shovel in the top (handle down). I personally think the idea is they disguise themselves as such to hide among beachgoers as a means of ambushing prey. But come on. Really? Sand castle?

Second, a Pokemon that's a school of fish. Normally it's one fish, but its ability lets it form into a school of fish that make up one really big fish. Think those charades fish from Finding Nemo. So this one looks pretty awesome, right? Wishiwashi. That's its name. That's literally its name. I'm nicknaming every one I get.

I do like a number of these Pokemon. Mimikyu just wants to be loved, and judging by the fandom response, it got its wish. Rowlet's an adorable owl with a leaf bowtie. Alolan Vulpix truly fits the description of "arctic fox" in all but habitat. Tapu Koko looks pretty cool. Lurantis is an elegant mantis. This gen's preview trailers and leaks are definitely hit and miss, and there are a few iffy ideas already *coughMr.Mimecough*, but in general I'm hopeful.

It's still actively sold and supported on Steam, so I'd be shocked if it couldn't run even on Windows 10 (*GAG!*), though that does beg the question, it's only $10 on Steam. Why not get it that way and be eligible for technical support if it doesn't just run on your system?

11 hours ago, Zorua said:

First of all, a new Ground/Ghost Pokemon line, {Sunabaa} and {Shirodesuna}. {Sunabaa} resembles a mound of sand with a toy shovel embedded in the top (blade down), and {Shirodesuna} resembles a sand castle, again with a toy shovel in the top (handle down). I personally think the idea is they disguise themselves as such to hide among beachgoers as a means of ambushing prey. But come on. Really? Sand castle?

Second, a Pokemon that's a school of fish. Normally it's one fish, but its ability lets it form into a school of fish that make up one really big fish. Think those charades fish from Finding Nemo. So this one looks pretty awesome, right? Wishiwashi. That's its name. That's literally its name. I'm nicknaming every one I get.

"Wishiwashi" sounds like it is an attempt to imitate the phonology of the native Hawaiian language, which is even more vowel-heavy than Japanese.

"Sunaba" means "sandy place", as in a beach or even a sandbox in a playground or backyard. Meanwhile, "Shirodesuna" is a compression of the phrase "shiroi desu na", meaning "white, isn't it?"

On 8/18/2016 at 6:46 AM, PSadlon said:

I'm serious considering testing out the new debit card ordering Mass Effect and/or Mass Effect 2 in Steam.

Both games are really good. The first game was a bit more combat than story, the second game reversed the proportions, but I loved both and still return to them.

Speaking of returns. I just got sucked back into bloody World of Warcraft. The Burning Legion is invading to destroy the world, attempt no. #2435325435. They do not have a good track record because they have this tendency to keep backstabbing one another, and on top of that, they also keep empowering mortal minions who then backstab them and run off with the power they got.

Oh, and I just heard this brilliant line from a doomsayer ingame: "THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END! ...AGAIN!"

Got both ME and ME2 DD... $8.74

Too bad I cant get ME3 through Steam. I guess EA has to continue to try to justify Origin somehow.

6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Oh, and I just heard this brilliant line from a doomsayer ingame: "THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END! ...AGAIN!"

I'm reminded of one of my favourite South Park lines: "Gentlemen, this could very well lead to the end of the world... of warcraft."

My brother got No Man's Sky.

Watching him play, I noticed the Galactic Trading robots look a lot like the cores from Portal 2, and I remembered one of them had the same eye patterns as the trading robots. So I looked it up. Guess which core has the same eye?

The Space Core.

There is no way that wasn't intentional.

This game looks amazing. I'd get it myself, but I think my laptop would melt.

29 minutes ago, Zorua said:

My brother got No Man's Sky.

This game looks amazing. I'd get it myself, but I think my laptop would melt.

Been hearing from game critics like Totalbiscuit and a few others that the game is apparently in a half-broken state (graphical errors, and really bad spacecraft controls) which is kinda sad when you think about it. Though if you're still looking for a nice Space exploration game I think you may find what you're looking for in Elite: Dangerous and/or Star Citizen.

42 minutes ago, Red Regent said:

Been hearing from game critics like Totalbiscuit and a few others that the game is apparently in a half-broken state (graphical errors, and really bad spacecraft controls) which is kinda sad when you think about it. Though if you're still looking for a nice Space exploration game I think you may find what you're looking for in Elite: Dangerous and/or Star Citizen.

Even if it isn't finished, it still looks pretty nice as-is. Maybe when I finally get a computer that can run it, there'll be more to it than just "Minecraft with space travel."

I wanna name some of the planets using the names from xkcd's Exoplanet Names comics.

Kerbal Space Program is also on my wishlist. And a few Pokemon games, a DS Lite, and a 2DS.

6 minutes ago, Zorua said:

Even if it isn't finished, it still looks pretty nice as-is. Maybe when I finally get a computer that can run it, there'll be more to it than just "Minecraft with space travel."

Kerbal Space Program is also on my wishlist. And a few Pokemon games, a DS Lite, and a 2DS.

The concept was really high minded, and tbh the reveal last year (or was it 2 years ago? I forget) was awesome. However, I do have to note that the game is being sold for ~30-35 USD on Steam (1400 PHP), and while not exactly big budget Triple A game price it is still kind of costly for what it's worth. Maybe worth picking up on a sale, but as of now, quite a bit of a money sink.

On the other hand KSP is freaking awesome; 10/10 would recommend since it's got the do it yourself vibe from Spore and the punishingly realistic physics for air and space like you'd fine in IL-2 Sturmovik or something similar. It's also pretty light, so even an older laptop will be able to run it.